Interesting history recommendations?

Microwave

I've been listening a lot to the School Sucks Podcast lately, and I find some of the history content they talk about very intriguing. The host brings on Thaddeus Russell quite a bit, who is the author of A Renegade History of the United States. I'm saving up money so I can buy his book, but in the mean time, can anyone guide me towards places to learn about interesting things throughout history? Things that are controversial perhaps, or that our "masters" wouldn't want us to know, things you'd never read about in any school textbook. There is no wrong answer, I know my question is very broad, just anything you find interesting would be great. Thanks!

I've been listening a lot to the School Sucks Podcast lately, and I find some of the history content they talk about very intriguing. The host brings on Thaddeus Russell quite a bit, who is the author of A Renegade History of the United States. I'm saving up money so I can buy his book, but in the mean time, can anyone guide me towards places to learn about interesting things throughout history? Things that are controversial perhaps, or that our "masters" wouldn't want us to know, things you'd never read about in any school textbook. There is no wrong answer, I know my question is very broad, just anything you find interesting would be great. Thanks!

About the best free source I found is the mises institute. Tons of great articles. As far as those you have to pay for I bought the Uncle erics series of books for my son. http://www.bluestockingpress.com/uncle-eric-books.htm

and also I recommend Tom Woods's Liberty classroom site http://www.libertyclassroom.com/

• Upvote 1

I'll second the recommendation to check out Tom Woods...I didn't make as much use of the libertyclassroom subscription as I would like to have, but they definitely have a lot of content you're not likely to run across elsewhere...I was really impressed with Brion McClanahan's lectures in the US History segment, if you're interested in that stuff he's also co-authored a few books on the subject.

Dan Carlin has a podcast called Hardcore History, you might want to check that out.  I book I got but barely scratched the surface of is Murray Rothbard's Conceived in Liberty.  Certainly a different take on colonial and post revolutionary America than you will ever hear in a classroom.

I'd also highly recommend Hardcore History. Just about every episode is multiple hours long and basically an audiobook. He makes the format engaging with quotes and historical accounts and trying to imagine what it would be like to live in the era of the subject: like being a soldier in Hannibal's army crossing the Alps or what living in Roman society at their peak would be like or having to fight on the Eastern Front in WW2, it's all great stuff. Carlin is kinda libertarian too, which doesn't hurt.

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn is also a good read, along the same lines as, and perhaps a good precursor to, A Renegade History of the United States (though I have not read the latter, I have read reviews, excerpts, and summaries). The pdf of Howard Zinn's book is available for free here:

http://www.thegoyslife.com/Documents/Books/A%20People's%20History%20of%20the%20United%20States-%20Howard%20Zinn.pdf

I echo the Hardcore History recommendations.

The Libertarian Tradition with Jeff Riggenbach is a great podcast offered by The Mises Institute that focuses on the history of libertarianism; though anything from Mises is likely to be well worth your time.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen Oliver Stone's documentary series, Untold History of the United States.  Is it any good?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.