I think the title sums up my question. Psychological thrillers/twisters are my favorite kinds of movies, and I feel like I've run out things to watch. Anything that really will make you think, has a great twist, is disturbing, etc. I'll list a few below to give you an idea of what I mean, but please list more suggestions if you can.

The Sixth Sense

American Psycho

Fight Club

Memento

The Machinist

The Shining

Eyes Wide Shut

A Clockwork Orange

Se7en

Requiem For a Dream

The Silence of the Lambs

That's a small sample of what I'm referring to, I think you get the idea. Please list other great suggestions and if possible try not to repeat ones that have already been listed. Thanks!

The best psychological thriller that I have ever seen is Funny Games. I only saw the 2007 US remake, but both that and the 1997 original have the same director and I heard the US version is a shot for shot remake.

There's also the prequel to Silence of The Lambs called Red Dragon, which is a remake of Manhunter.

Also Oldboy is one of the best movies ever made.There are a bunch of amazing Korean movies, to name a few: Saving The Green Planet. The Chaser and I Saw The Devil.

• Upvote 1

Ohhh Funny Games was a good one, good call. I only saw the remake I think, the one with Michael Pitt (Boardwalk Empire).  

Another movie that comes to mind (a remake of a korean film A Tale of Two Sisters) is The Uninvited.

I second the korean and swedish thriller movies. There is one movie with the guy who plays Jamie on Game of Thrones with english subtitles and it is unique and awesome. My favorite korean movie is "The Man from nowhere"

I saw the devil is pretty crazy too. And there is Oldboy and the remake of Oldboy, super super crazy.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - British Cold War era spy flick. 

Mulholland Drive - just watch it. Total mind bender. Classic David Lynch

Cache - French flick about a guy screwing w/ a family. This movie will fuck you up.

Primer - incredibly well done and wonky time travel flick. You'll need to watch it twice.

Shutter Island - Scorcese and Leo. That should be enough.

No Country for Old Men - can't recommend enough. Dark thriller where every aspect is top notch. Direction/acting/story, everything. Also, Tommy Lee Jones.

There Will Be Blood - More of a character study film, but I always think No Country and this movie should be watched back-to-back because they are easily the two best movies of that year.

The HBO series True Detective sounds right up your alley as well. Very dark storyline, only eight one hour long episodes and it is probably the best single season of any show I've ever watched. It is absurdly good and the acting is phenomenal. 

I can try and think of more. 

I would recommend True Detective as well, it seems impossible that they'll be able to follow that season without Harrelson and McConaughey, They set the bar pretty high.

Also, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Ethan Hawke are great in that.

I would recommend True Detective as well, it seems impossible that they'll be able to follow that season without Harrelson and McConaughey, They set the bar pretty high.

Also, Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Ethan Hawke are great in that.

That is a terrific flick and it's kind of eerie seeing the similarities between PSH's character in that film and how similar it is to his own real personal life, especially in regard to the heroin addiction.

I second the korean and swedish thriller movies. There is one movie with the guy who plays Jamie on Game of Thrones with english subtitles and it is unique and awesome. My favorite korean movie is "The Man from nowhere"

I saw the devil is pretty crazy too. And there is Oldboy and the remake of Oldboy, super super crazy.

I think the film with subtitles you are refering to is the Norwegian film "Headhunters". Great film.

I found Funny Games (the original version) to be deeply disturbing. A good thing about subtitles is that you can fast-forward through most of a movie and still know what is going on. 

My recommendations (that have not already been listed) are:

Under the Skin

Triangle

The Battery

Lost Highway

Accident

The Method

The Counselor

Revolver

Ca$h

Fargo (TV series)

The Hunter

Requiem for a Dream

Van Diemen's Land

The Ghost Writer

Solaris

• 3 weeks later...

Enemy is new and it's great!

Yeah I agree, one of the best movies I've seen! It's a movie you'll really want to dissect and spend time analyzing the underlying themes. I've been wanting to watch it again, that's how much I enjoyed the movie itself as well as the ideas hidden within.

Total Recall  (the original with Arnold Schwarzenegger is great.  I haven't seen the remake)

Antichrist (psychotic, intense, disturbing-- guaranteed to thrill)

There Will Be Blood

I echo the previous recommendations, especially Funny Games, Oldboy, Under The Skin, and Twelve Monkeys.

• Upvote 1

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

The Usual Suspects

Lady Vengeance (from Chan Wook Park - Director of Oldboy)

Mother Night

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (not a thriller, but an interesting psychological movie)

Vanilla Sky 

Identity

Gothika

The Butterfly Effect

Adaptation

Pi: Faith in Chaos

• Upvote 1

Some good suggestions here. Here's a few more that I thought were good.

Spiral

Inception

Buried

The Butterfly Effect - I recommend the director's cut

Inside Man

2:13

Unthinkable *** Graphic ***

The Canyon

The Tortured *** Graphic ***

Ghost Dog

The Experiment

Unknown (2006) - there are 2 movies. I have not seen the 2011 movie.

Lake Mungo - not a thriller, but a good mystery movie.

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.