14 YEARS PRISON FOR LASERING A HELICOPTER

jacbot

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/06/04/fbi_laser_reward/

US has gone wacko roman empire style!

Thats not normal,..., 14 years prison,..,  for a kid pointing a DIY laser at a helicopter.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/2014/03/12/laser-sentence-14-years-california-alpa/6330661/

Sergio Rodriguez, 26, of Clovis, was sentenced Monday for pointing a laser at a Fresno police helicopter, according to U.S. Attorney Benjamin Wagner. Rodriguez and his girlfriend, Jennifer Coleman, 23, were both convicted by a federal jury after a three–day trial in December.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think the issue requires more nuance.

Blinding a person is a form of aggression, whether it is done through direct physical force or via a laser from a far distance. The potential for causing permanent blindness alone is enough to make this activity criminally stupid and reckless - when you add in that the person being blinded (temporarily or permanently) is an aircraft pilot, fatalities and property damage are a very real possibility.

I don't think a person with empathy could point a laser where a human with eyes might be, and I would personally prefer to live in an area where (via private contractual agreements, or simple social ostracism) such devices weren't used.

In the event that someone points a laser at another person and does cause damage, the same process of restitution would be necessary as for personal/property damage caused by any other method.

Of course, a 14 year prison sentence is a completely arbitrary way for the state to deal with this complex social issue. I would be more interested in finding out how the kids buying these lasers and pointing them at people were parented, considering the extreme irresponsibility and disregard for the bodily integrity of other people the act entails. 

• Upvote 2

As of December 2013, the FAA had documented at least 35 incidents where pilots required medical attention after a laser strike."

My first thought was that they were just lasing the body of the plane, and for that 14 years is a bit stiff, but they're getting cockpits and pilots which is very uncool.

I'd like to see a synopsis of that case, but from the sounds of it, it's very reckless behavior. 

• 2 months later...

" As of December 2013, the FAA had documented at least 35 incidents where pilots required medical attention after a laser strike." My first thought is " I saw a laser and now I need two weeks paid vacation." Who has lasers so powerful they can blind a pilot thousands of feet away?

Check out this forum. http://laserpointerforums.com/

Apparently, some people like to build their own.

Also, the SMU-100 would accomplish this feat, no problem. I don't know about the price tag, though.

Here's a 500mW output model that retails for US$500 with an effective range of two miles. http://www.armlaser.com/laser-weapon-500mw-green-dazzler-p-70.html

14 years in a rape dungeon for pointing some laser pen at a helicopter, USA USA!

or for "turning a steering wheel" (on to a busy sidewalk)

or for giving someone a slight push (on to train tracks)

There are millions of people rotting in rape cages right now for victimless crimes like tax evasion. Pointing lasers at people's eyes, especially when they're in a vulnerable situation, putting hundreds of lifes at risk, IS an actual crime. I don't understand how you could be a gold donator here while showing a complete lack of empathy towards the victim and potential victims of a helicopter accident. What if it crashes on a playground? What if it crashes on your house? You'd be screaming bloody murder.

• Upvote 1

or for "turning a steering wheel" (on to a busy sidewalk)

or for giving someone a slight push (on to train tracks)

There are millions of people rotting in rape cages right now for victimless crimes like tax evasion. Pointing lasers at people's eyes, especially when they're in a vulnerable situation, putting hundreds of lifes at risk, IS an actual crime. I don't understand how you could be a gold donator here while showing a complete lack of empathy towards the victim and potential victims of a helicopter accident. What if it crashes on a playground? What if it crashes on your house? You'd be screaming bloody murder.

I think you're exaggerating the potential damage, at the far worst it can cause temporary blind spots... not blindness just blind spots... if it hits them directly in the eye from that range.  Its less blinding than someone in opposite traffic using their high beams at night, and no one goes to jail for 14 years for that.  

• Upvote 2

The video I posted seems to refute this claim.

The video you posted agrees with me, that any kind of permanent damage is incredibly unlikely.  "It is extremely unlikely a laser point can cause damage, it would have to be 50ft away and pointed directly in the eye for a long period of time". Thats from the video.

We're talking about 14 years of jail time for potentially distracting a pilot for a few seconds.  I don't think its a great thing and I don't think people should do it, but I assure you my empathy is not misplaced.  

14 years of jail time for people who ding dong ditch flaming bags of poo?  I mean you could cause a fire and kill hundreds of people, maybe even children!  

• Upvote 2

I think it's plain that 14 years is ridiculous, and obviously only happened because they pointed it at some cops.

If you want to punish someone a very short time in prison is a pretty awful punishment (try staying cooped up in a room for days on end guarded by assholes with guns who hate you... it gets old very quick)

If they had caused the helicopter to crash then it would be a different story entirely. potential harm and actual harm are very different.

• Upvote 1

We're talking about 14 years of jail time for potentially distracting a pilot for a few seconds. 

I agree.. that is completely inappropriate. I guess I was focusing more on the idea that pointing lasers at aircraft "is no big deal" as opposed to just how hard the court came down on some guy that did it.

yeah, and worse than an airplane is a helicopter. airplanes at least have two pilots, plus autopilot, plus they're pretty high up normally and not turning much.  A helicopter does make it more hazardous.  Still 14 year holy crap, I feel like the Nazis would have been more lenient.  

Just a thought. If they are so dangerous, why haven't they been used in any of the war zones to harm US pilots in attack or supply aircraft? It would seem a pretty obvious thing to do.

I work around laser radiation every day in telecommunications and don't question the damage that can be done with a laser, but if they are so easily weaponized why aren't desperate people doing so?

• Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

http://m.livescience.com/21707-lasers-eye-damage.html

A few notes. There have been laser based weapons for some time, mainly non lethal. But cheaper and more efficient than bullets? Not yet. Lasers retain power over long distances also the amount of permanent damage depends on color of laser. Eye is 30 times more sensitive to green light for instance which could cause permanent blind spots. If someone even partially blinded me I would have no mercy.

Just a thought. If they are so dangerous, why haven't they been used in any of the war zones to harm US pilots in attack or supply aircraft? It would seem a pretty obvious thing to do.

I work around laser radiation every day in telecommunications and don't question the damage that can be done with a laser, but if they are so easily weaponized why aren't desperate people doing so?

You could actually point a laser at your eyeballs while driving a car on a busy street and then answer your own question.

• 4 weeks later...

They're very visible from the ground, if you pointed one at an aircraft, that aircraft would know exactly where you are. If it has weapons hanging off of it the damage to the pilots vision probably isn't going to be worth the risk.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.