"I feel, I need, I want..."

philsau

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to share my experience of online coaching with Antony Sammeroff (enrichyourlife.co). What motivated me to start was that for a long time I felt I couldn't communicate authentically in my life. I don't mean that I couldn't talk to other people- I could relate on a shallow level as most people can. But in the key areas of feelings, needs and desires I was unable to reach others around me. As a man in particular, there seemed to be a block around any sentence beginning with "I feel" or "I need" or "I want". These conversations are crucial for growth, connection and survival in life and those were what I have had the most difficulty with as a result of not having had it modelled in my childhood.

My sessions with Antony were very wide ranging and but the main idea was to get to the source of some of those challenges and to provide workable strategies for overcoming them. I found Antony to be very empathetic and sensitive to my history and my needs. He himself was able to model through our conversations the skills I was looking for, which was very useful. He was also able to share certain mindsets and tools to help me communicate better, and dealing with those issues from the inside out.

I'd highly recommend Antony as a coach or councillor, whether you seek help processing emotional trauma or more practical help improving your emotional skills. I'd also check out his videos on YouTube where he runs The Progressive Parent channel and a series of videos on communication, if you want to get a sense of what he's about.

• Upvote 1

Thank you for sharing. This is a topic I am always interested in learning about, because there was a time in my life I rarely had honest conversations.

I now practice Direct Honest 'Trauma Informed' Communication.

I have had great success starting non-aggressive honest dialogues with:

I see .... provide facts

I feel .... explain personal World View

I need .... sets boundaries

(talking to a co-worker about eating your food)

I see you are hungry.

I feel disrespected when you take my food without asking.

I need you to ask me before you eat my food.

I avoid conflict by excluding judgemental questions like "What's wrong with you?" And instead ask a Trauma Informed question: " What Happened?"

For me, Trauma Informed means coming from a place of not knowing, in conjunction with a genuine interest in understanding why the co-worker ate my food without asking if it was ok, aka their World View.

Hey tjt Philip is speaking about me,

Thanks for posting up this testimonial, I'm glad to hear you felt our coaching had lasting results, particularly in the area of making requests.

I think that's an area that a lot of us have learned to hold back on.

If anyone has any questions about my coaching and counselling I am also here on the forum :)

(you may be familiar with my youtube channels youtube.com/enrichyourlife1 and youtube.com/theprogressiveparent)

Hey tjt Philip is speaking about me, Thanks for posting up this testimonial, I'm glad to hear you felt our coaching had lasting results, particularly in the area of making requests.I think that's an area that a lot of us have learned to hold back on. If anyone has any questions about my coaching and counselling I am also here on the forum :)(you may be familiar with my youtube channels youtube.com/enrichyourlife1 and youtube.com/theprogressiveparent)

I just watched two of your YouTube videos and I say: Wow, great information! I look forward to watching more of your videos. :-)Thanks again Philsau for the recommendation.

I just watched two of your YouTube videos and I say: Wow, great information! I look forward to watching more of your videos. :-) 

Hey great! I'm glad you found value there, would you mind mentioning which ones?

It's always good to know what is successful

I mean to continue improving my videos, I just got a better mic and I want to video them standing up as well as improving delivery

Hey great! I'm glad you found value there, would you mind mentioning which ones?It's always good to know what is successfulI mean to continue improving my videos, I just got a better mic and I want to video them standing up as well as improving delivery

I have watched almost all of your videos and I would highly recommend them to anyone interested in improving their interpersonal skills.I especially enjoyed:Aggressive People and Manipulative PeopleWhat is the best way to vet a potential friend or romantic partnerUnderstanding Stress, Defensiveness, fight-flight, freeze responses -- this video was my favorite, I actually had to pause it so I could get a pen and paper and take notes, really great helpful information.My compliments: Your voice is soothing and enjoyable to listen to You are personable, easy-going, relatableI felt your authenticity immediately I think you are very articulate and easy to understandI like that you never ramble on but get to the pointI laughed at your funny penis joke at the beginning of one of your videos (I love goofy silly humor) Thank you for sharing such important valuable knowledge with the world. much warmth :-)My critiques:A few of the videos were out of focus, but that was not really that big of a deal because I was focusing on your wordsI prefer the videos of you sitting down, I liked the relaxed personable feel of those videosI could definitely see an improvement in your delivery and comfort in front of the camera, especially from your very first introductory video to your most recent few
  • Upvote 1

Hi thank you so much for the specific feedback it's really great to hear what people think is working and where there is room for improvement

regarding your comments, I definitely want to include more humour because every time I do I get compliments on it - I know it's important for connecting with the audience and staying real plus not getting too serious about things!

I'm glad you noted a lack of rambling as this is something I have strongly aimed for with the videos - to just get right to the practical information and not waffle with too much theory I want the content to be specific and actionable so it can help people in practical ways not just sit in their heads.

So thank you for taking the time to watch almost all of them that's really supportive and glad you got something out of what I am doing on there :)

I have watched almost all of your videos and I would highly recommend them to anyone interested in improving their interpersonal skills.I especially enjoyed:Aggressive People and Manipulative PeopleWhat is the best way to vet a potential friend or romantic partnerUnderstanding Stress, Defensiveness, fight-flight, freeze responses -- this video was my favorite, I actually had to pause it so I could get a pen and paper and take notes, really great helpful information.My compliments:Your voice is soothing and enjoyable to listen toYou are personable, easy-going, relatableI felt your authenticity immediatelyI think you are very articulate and easy to understandI like that you never ramble on but get to the pointI laughed at your funny penis joke at the beginning of one of your videos (I love goofy silly humor)Thank you for sharing such important valuable knowledge with the world.much warmth :-)My critiques:A few of the videos were out of focus, but that was not really that big of a deal because I was focusing on your wordsI prefer the videos of you sitting down, I liked the relaxed personable feel of those videosI could definitely see an improvement in your delivery and comfort in front of the camera, especially from your very first introductory video to your most recent few

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.