I never feel like I belong where I am

jdjeffers

I notice that many times I'm at work, or working with client remotely, etc, I feel as if I should be doing something else. When I start doing something else, the same feeling comes up. I feel like I should be doing some other thing.

I'm not sure why this is happening. Anyone have any insights? 

I've been feeling this way a bit lately as well, and I'm still a little unsure as to why as well. One thought that I've had is that I am often very critical of myself (something that I've been trying to do less of), and sort of tell myself that whatever I'm doing is either a waste of time, or that there are more productive things that I could be doing instead. But it feels like whatever I choose to do is not productive enough for that part of me, that it sets an impossible standard, so I always feel out of place, anxious, or uneasy.

What about you? Are you critical of yourself a lot, or is it something different?

Why do you feel like you should change tasks? Are you uncomfortable, bored, overwhelmed, lonely, scared, sad, mad?  

I think I'm bored.

I belong to a mailing list of folks who went through a product development course, the end goal is creating your own products to sell and escape your day job. Sometimes people will send an email where they say "Look at me! I did it! I'm making money at this! Yay!" and I am angry about their success. 

What about you? Are you critical of yourself a lot, or is it something different?

Yes, I am critical of myself almost all the time. Have you heard of "Imposter Syndrome"?

No, but I just looked it up :P. Do you think you've experienced that?

I feel like a fraud all the time. Many times I feel like the things I like, my sense of humor, etc, are all based on being a 12 year old, not an adult. I feel like at work, even when I accomplish things that are difficult or beyond the skill level of others that it's just an act, I really don't know anything, I'm a fake, etc.

I identify strongly with this feeling.

Sometimes my mind is racing with what I "should" be apparently doing.

Recently I have been trying a practice which has helped me.

I wonder if you would like to try it and get back to me with what you have experienced.

When that voice is raging I step back, sit or lie down, and basically declare to my self/selves that I am not taking any action until it is out a place of clarity or serenity. Then I focus on relaxing, I expect it to take ages but it usually only takes 5-10 minutes to relax.

When I am in that space I quite feel like staying there so I stay there a bit longer, until I am ready to take some specific action which I have decided on. Sometimes when I'm in the relaxed space I engage with the voice that wants me to "do do do" I ask it what it wants to achieve, what is it trying to help me with, what does it want me to do, why is it so important that it is done right away etc. sometimes that helps achieve clarity too

if you try this it would be good to get feedback from someone else on how this works or does not work for them

I identify strongly with this feeling.

Sometimes my mind is racing with what I "should" be apparently doing.

Recently I have been trying a practice which has helped me.

I wonder if you would like to try it and get back to me with what you have experienced.

When that voice is raging I step back, sit or lie down, and basically declare to my self/selves that I am not taking any action until it is out a place of clarity or serenity. Then I focus on relaxing, I expect it to take ages but it usually only takes 5-10 minutes to relax.

When I am in that space I quite feel like staying there so I stay there a bit longer, until I am ready to take some specific action which I have decided on. Sometimes when I'm in the relaxed space I engage with the voice that wants me to "do do do" I ask it what it wants to achieve, what is it trying to help me with, what does it want me to do, why is it so important that it is done right away etc. sometimes that helps achieve clarity too

if you try this it would be good to get feedback from someone else on how this works or does not work for them

This actually sounds like a great idea to try, especially the last part about asking what that part of you wants to achieve. I was discussing this feeling with my boyfriend, and he suggested that empathizing with that part of me might help me be able to address it better. I have been struggling with how to do that, but your suggestion sounds like a good one. Thanks :) jdjeffers, I hope it could be helpful to you as well!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.