Waldorf Private School for a 6 year old: Good idea?

Logan Hall

My daughter would like to attend school and we are at a point where it is between a Waldorf school in Denver or a Charter School in Littleton.

Can anyone give me their thoughts on the Waldorf school? There are many things I don’t like about their schooling style but at least no pledge of allegiance...

Would like the advice of the community...

I haven't heard a ton about Waldorf schools but what I have heard and read really interests me. I'm curious to hear what your objections are. I suppose the main point of caution would be the teaching of anthroposophy, which is basically pseudophilosophy.

Finding an ideal school is really tough. If I were in your shoes, I think I would look for a secular charter school with advanced ciriculum that can also provide enough one on one engagement with your daughter.

My daughter would like to attend school and we are at a point where it is between a Waldorf school in Denver or a Charter School in Littleton.

Can anyone give me their thoughts on the Waldorf school? There are many things I don’t like about their schooling style but at least no pledge of allegiance...

Would like the advice of the community...

I would recommend against the Waldorf school, generally.  Which charter school are you considering?  There is a variety of methodologies from school to school.  Growing up, I attended several charter schools in Colorado, and currently work at a charter school in Utah.

Can she read?  If so, how well?

I would recommend against the Waldorf school, generally.  Which charter school are you considering?  There is a variety of methodologies from school to school.  Growing up, I attended several charter schools in Colorado, and currently work at a charter school in Utah.

I haven't heard a ton about Waldorf schools but what I have heard and read really interests me. I'm curious to hear what your objections are. I suppose the main point of caution would be the teaching of anthroposophy, which is basically pseudophilosophy.

Finding an ideal school is really tough. If I were in your shoes, I think I would look for a secular charter school with advanced ciriculum that can also provide enough one on one engagement with your daughter.

She recently turned 6 and can read. That is another concern, that at Waldorf she would need to go into Kindergarten rather than first because of their late start. My biggest concern is that, and also the anthroposophy/ emphasis on the ‘spiritual aspect of the human’. As an atheist and reader of Richard Dawkins and the like, my concern is that she will grow up being taught more the myths from around the world rather than the scientific method.

Thank you both for your comments. AustinJames, the charter school is Collegiate Academy and we have friends who gave it high praises. We toured it (along with about a dozen others). Please let me know if you heard of Collegiate.

http://www.collegiateacademy.net

/

Specifically on reading, she is reading Level 1 books with ease. We taught her at home.

If the choice is between a Waldorf school and Collegiate Academy, I would definitely go with Collegiate Academy.  I'm not personally familiar with the school, but from the information on the website, it seems very similar to the school at which I work.  I called the school to find out more about the curriculum and methodology, but they were closed.  From the curriculum listed on the site, it looks very promising.  

As I'm sure you know, it's crucial that she is grouped according to her ability, and that her skills are challenged; there is no systemic assurance that this will occur at the Waldorf school.  As long as you and the faculty can agree on behavior-correction strategies, I think the charter school will be a great fit.

Looking at their test scores, their reading looks fairly strong (6 points above the district average, and 74% proficiency), but the math is barely (2 points, 37% proficiency) above the district average.  These numbers are somewhat troubling.  If she can already read Level 1 books easily, I would try to have her enrolled in the "Gifted and Talented" program to ensure she is challenged and her progress is properly monitored.

Have you looked at other charter schools in the area?  Any chance she could get into Peak to Peak Academy, or Ridgeview?

Where I work, we use a form of RTR (Real-Time Relationships) strategies in every aspect of communication, whether it be parent-teacher, teacher-teacher, teacher-student, etc.  I would make sure that they implement a similar policy.  Ours is referred to as "Love and Logic."  We seek to provide a peaceful, positive, challenging environment for everyone, with constant opportunities for improvement.

I hope you and your daughter have a great experience!  I think it's amazing she has the ambition to pursue her own education at such a young age.  Please let me know how it goes!

Thank you so much for your response. I will definitely look into the communication methods at the school as well as the "Gifted and Talented" program. Both the other schools you mentioned are over 45 minutes from us and would not be practical but we do have her on a list with Montessori Peaks Academy and several others (Like Colorado Academy). I will let you know what happens, and thanks again. Have a great weekend.

Wanted to follow-up. We contacted another school we initially did not get into due to the lottery, and they were able to make room for Katie! Its Montessori Peaks Academy in Littleton and is more to our liking. They do have a gifted and talented program and she is going to be in a class with 2nd and 3rd graders. Thanks again for your time. Still a flag in the classroom, but you can't have it all...

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.