My research on ISIS

Heam

Here's a somewhat-detailed brief on the Islamic State that I recently wrote. I include a lot of information that mainstream media typically do not talk about, as well as US involvement and their indirect facilitation of the organization's growth. I also include my independent analysis which makes this more than a journalistic documentation of the organization.

I'll answer any questions in this thread. Sources included at the bottom of the document.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Waleed, I must say well done. This is work worthy of Mr Fisk himself.

This is the best explanation I have read on the emergence of ISIS and the interaction of each Western intervention along with the calculated attacks on the heretofore most stable regimes in the region of Gadaffi and Al-Assad. 

My overwhelming reaction is that Bush and Obama et al have succeeded in elevating jihadi ideology and power to heights bin Laden could not have hoped for. The calculated cynicism, recklessness and murderous disregard for consequences of the US and the coalition of the snivelling is only beginning to bear its fruit.

One of the issues that has always evaded attention of the MSM and indeed alot of the alternative media is the role of the Kurds. Given the historically difficult relationship of the Kurds with Turkey, do you have any view on the tension if any there may be with Erdogan in the emergence of a Kurdistan with US backing? 

Also, linking in with Kurdistan and Turkey is the reported incursions into Syria from and facilitation of anti-Assad forces by Turkey. Then there is the role of Hezbollah in Syria. This seems like a grand game of musical chairs with staunch enemies such as Iran and Kurdistan now perhaps with a common enemy in ISIS? Now there are reports of fighting moving towards Lebanon. With the US targeted attacks in protection of Kurdistan, is there now the potential for conflict to increasingly move to the southwest and the powder-keg that lies there?

You mentioned the role of Russia. What form has the Russian intervention taken? This is something for which details have been sorely lacking and has possible wider implications in and of itself.

Also, in terms of Egypt, I have found it inexplicable that Egypt has collaborated with the US and israel in attempting to crush Hamas. What is the underlying politik of the Egyptian policy. I cannot imagine it is viewed well on the street in Egypt, although my understanding is that the current regime there had overwhelming electoral support.

In a general sense, are we witnessing an inevitable post-Saddam restructuring of the the Middle-East along ethnic lines (rather than French-British), one that may take many years to approximate settled boundaries? The potential for spreading mayhem seems likely.

Once again, fantastic work and much appreciated for the detail and explanation of the underlying culture that is difficult to understand for an outsider like myself. Although in a contemporary sense it is an alien culture, it brings to mind the tribal culture in my country (Ireland) and interaction with the Norman and then English invasions from the 12th to the 18th centuries. Divide and conquer and double-cross and bribe. Same old story, sadly.

Lots of questions: I'll answer them one at a time:

1) Yes, the Caliphate was essentially bin Laden's dream and it has been realized, ironically, after two US wars to stop it from being realized. It is probably one of the great disasters of US foreign policy and a reason why I decided to write this. People don't know where their taxes are going

2) The Turks and Kurds signed a temporary peace deal so that the Turks could focus on Assad and the wider conflict in Syria. The Turks are strongly opposed to ISIS and considered false flag attacks in Turkey specifically so they'd have a pretext to invade the country. Somebody leaked top secret conversations between members of the Turkish gov discussing these false flags, however, so the invasion has been put on the backburner for now. They do indeed allow the funneling of Jihadists into Syria though.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-04-02/why-turkey-was-planning-false-flag-operation-syria

3) There is already fighting in Lebanon, namely in a town called Irsal, however the Lebanese army (and Hezbollah) have so far subdued it. The danger lies in the possibility that the Sunnis of Tripoli (second largest city in Lebanon) begin a revolt alongside ISIS, however. I don't know what the future holds for Lebanon, honestly.

4) Hamas is a potent military force in terms of infantry combat. They were effectively able to repel the Israeli ground invasion (although were helpless against air bombardment). Hamas is also a branch of the Muslim brotherhood, who Sisi and the Egyptian military oppose. The Sinai peninsula is also largely chaotic and difficult to control. The Egyptians fear the possibility of Hamas making a stake in Sinai, hence why they want the destroyed. I can elaborate on this further, but it requires me to go in depth in Palestinian history which I'm too tired to do right now. Basically if you've got guns and trained men, political boundaries get a little fuzzy sometimes.

5)History repeats itself indeed.

Thanks for your kind words. Please share the document with others if it helped. :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Needless to say the line about ISIS eating babies and thus needing to be immediately bombed back to the stone age makes one immediately skeptical... especially since no reference is being made to how US foreign policy in the middle east plays a large part in the current messes.

Here's a somewhat-detailed brief on the Islamic State that I recently wrote. I include a lot of information that mainstream media typically do not talk about, as well as US involvement and their indirect facilitation of the organization's growth. I also include my independent analysis which makes this more than a journalistic documentation of the organization.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/12vVKen-3fxhLDD7Jg6P3dC3Fq4IDwIly1rR0ft0Iyrg/pub

I'll answer any questions in this thread. Sources included at the bottom of the document.

My VPN connection isn't working these days, and google's services are being blocked in China (along with almost anything interesting or useful it seems). Could you try this: http://www.filedropper.com/ it works through the great firewall.

Needless to say the line about ISIS eating babies and thus needing to be immediately bombed back to the stone age makes one immediately skeptical... especially since no reference is being made to how US foreign policy in the middle east plays a large part in the current messes.

My VPN connection isn't working these days, and google's services are being blocked in China (along with almost anything interesting or useful it seems). Could you try this: http://www.filedropper.com/ it works through the great firewall.

http://www.filedropper.com/isis2

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for that.

Holy moley, what a read...

In your opinion, is there any rhyme or reason behind US policy in Libya and Syria? The question could be extended to Iraq as well since it shares a common theme.

I guess I'm just ignorant, but why do the US and Israel treat Iran as the greatest threat in the middle east? If Obama can be buddies with the president of Vietnam while they are still officially communist, why the Iran hate?

This stuff and the US position is awfully confounding... Following the money and oil makes some sense, but man... the thought of innocent people dying in Iraq, Syria, and Libya just so US politicians can enrich their friends and be buddies with Saudi dictators.  :ohmy:

In my (very humble) opinion, I don't think there is a long-term strategy in either Libya or Syria. The only thing that can be said for certain is that US support for Israel will stay strong because of perennial Zionist lobbying. Judging by the fact that US policy has failed in its stated objectives time and time again, we can only assume they have no idea what they're doing and are just playing at empire on the taxpayer's dime as a pass-time until Obama's term in office expires.

Iranian animosity between the US extends back for decades, starting when the US helped launch a coup against an elected president and helped install a dictator there. The 1979 Iranian revolution saw an anti-American government rise to power. Iran hates Israel because it is a competitor to its policy of hegemony in the region and vice versa. Israeli policy against Palestinians makes all Muslim countries hate them, especially since they occupy Jerusalem. Also, Iran is building nuclear power which Israel fears will end its status in the region as the sole nuclear-armed state.

Also the most important Iran-involved conflict is between Iran and Saudi Arabia. This whole Sunni-Shia war is essentially a Saudi-Iranian proxy war. It has come about because, by some odd twist of fate, the oil fields of Saudi Arabia and much of the Gulf exist in the areas of the peninsula that is majority-Shiite in terms of population while the heads of state (with the exception of Iraq) are Sunni. The Saudis fear a Shiite uprising leading to a takeover of these oil fields, much like how the Sunnis in Iraq have revolted against a Shiite central authority.

It's a clusterfuck, and I don't use that term lightly.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.