Doing a speech for my class... What should I do it about?

I have to do a persuasive speech for my speech class. We have to choose a contreversial issue and argue one side of it. I was thinking of doing...

-All drugs should be legalized

-Businesses should be allowed to discriminate

-NSA should be destroyed!

Not sure which one I want to do. Any suggestions

I really want to promote libertarian prinicples and the non-aggression principle.

I have to do a persuasive speech for my speech class. We have to choose a contreversial issue and argue one side of it. I was thinking of doing...

-All drugs should be legalized

-Businesses should be allowed to discriminate

-NSA should be destroyed!

Not sure which one I want to do. Any suggestions

I really want to promote libertarian prinicples and the non-aggression principle.

I feel when you take money or governmental security into practice, it becomes hard to grasp because there are many angles to the topic(s).

It might be better to do something more of the easily relateable to the majority of people while having a power message that can better people's life like anti spanking or aggressor vs self defense.

Picking a topic which is strong is important, but I feel when a person introduces a new topic and it has a lot of weighted controversy or many view points, despite the facts, people may have a hard time grasping the what was said due to so much information and opinions surrounding the topic.

By all means take on these topics because I know they can be persuaded, but I feel if your purpose is to persuade people towards libertarian ideologies, the topic should be about the family or the community and not with the government.

I have a suggestion that is linked to the public-school versus free-market topic mentioned above. It will however require fully-inflated space-hopper-like testicles to approach. The topic is about how publicly funded school teachers will very often send their kids to private school, especially in the year or two leading up to the "final-exam". The reasons for this are intuitive. 

This came up in one of FDR podcasts but I cannot remember which. I have personal experience of bringing this up in a "high-school" setting, so I will provide that anecdote. 

As a class of 30 or so 15-ish year olds we were couple of months from an important state exam. We hadn't had a teacher for a couple of months(out on sick leave) and had basically been left to fend for ourselves. So, one day in this "free" class, the neighbouring teacher (her husband was the vice-principle) storms in roaring that we are making too much noise and basically humiliating us while giving us a collective punishment of a 500 word essay. 

Now, I knew that many of the teachers in the school had their kids in private schools while taking advantage of what is a ridiculously generous pay/benefits/work-schedule and the near impossibility of sacking. I had some fantastic teachers, many ordinary and some downright evil. I also knew that this teachers kids were in private school.

So, I wrote a fairly caustic diatribe against this phenomenon in the punishment essay. Down to the bone shaming. I didn't really think she would read the essays, but she did. She approached me a couple of days later in the common area and said that it had been "well-written" and "would I like to talk about it with her". I thanked her and declined to discuss it further. 

Anyway, whatever you choose, I wish you the best!!!

I did a persuasive research presentation on the legalization of marijuana and it was very well received from the class. I will caution you that the more controversial your topic is the more effort you will have to put in to it or you will face harsh attack. I ended up putting the most effort in my class into my presentation because it was the most controversial. Most people will do persuasive essays on unimportant crap such as 'which product is better', they will likely score just as highly as you but spend a fraction of the time.

Just consider that when making your presentation and whether it's worth your time covering area bit of information you put forth.

those subjects but the opposite position.

The best speech & easiest speech I ever gave was why Christ couldn't have really existed.  I did this at a Christian school.  A+ from a Christian professor.

...it's always funner to play the villian.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.