Math without emotional hurdles

DCLugi

I recently hosted a show about economical behavior and the experts we talked to said that most people go with the emotional decision over the rational decision every time. This prompted a question. If there were no attachments to psychological security or emotional baggage would UPB be as apparent as math? Of course math comes in many levels of complexity but if given the time and interest would it be accepted as such?

I don't really understand the question. But to give my thoughts anyway...

UPB essentially tests arguments of what humans ought to do through rational means. The validity of an argument is dependent upon its internal consistency, capacity to be implemented and universalized, logical implications, and so on.

I don't want to say that UPB would be common sense, but the basis for it would be taken for granted by most people. UPB style reasoning is what people do all the time, especially children, and it would be effortless to think in these terms without having irrational theories forcibly wired into your brain.

I don't really understand the question. But to give my thoughts anyway...

UPB essentially tests arguments of what humans ought to do through rational means. The validity of an argument is dependent upon its internal consistency, capacity to be implemented and universalized, logical implications, and so on.

I don't want to say that UPB would be common sense, but the basis for it would be taken for granted by most people. UPB style reasoning is what people do all the time, especially children, and it would be effortless to think in these terms without having irrational theories forcibly wired into your brain.

Thanks for responding. Yeah, I find that people use the scientific method quite often in every day life. I just wonder if the emotional blockage is the main obstacle in the way of accepting logical consistency.

The emotional blockage could be a way of identifying a logical inconsistency as in the case with cognitive dissonance; You can become aware of the inconsistency by checking the math/train of thought/etc., and/or you can feel the stress and anxiety as an indication of cognitive dissonance and inconsistency (similar to a signal on the dashboard).

They're like the red and blue lenses on retro 3D glasses.  :cool:

If most people make the emotional over the rational decision every time (or vice versa), than they're probably not seeing in 3D.  ;)

(Even if they do take the emotional decision, it doesn't necessarily mean that they're in tune with their emotions.)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.