Jews hate my app because of the word "Nazi" in the title

Tony

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some general advice here. I made a game to help people improve their grammar, it's free on the Google play store. After a few months of release it now has more than a thousand downloads and a largely positive response. However, I got two emails today from two different people asking me to change the name as it is offensive. The game is called "Grammar Nazi Book Worm"

From Urban dictionary

Grammar Nazi:Someone who believes it's their duty to attempt to correct any grammar and/or spelling mistakes they observe. Usually found hanging around Irc chatrooms hounding "n00bs".

This is a sample from on of the emails:

"Without going into the quality of your app, I suggest that you
reconsider its name.
I don’t know how old you are, or what kind of education you
received, but the term “Nazi” generally has a negative
connotation for most people, unless you are a skinhead neo-
fascist type.
I’m not sure you want your app identified with a system that
roasted people wholesale in ovens and that was responsible for
the death of millions of innocent men, women, and children."

Also, I don't know if I should use the word "Jews" as it might offend someone... Reminds me of that episode of Always Sunny...

I am inclined to laugh it off and ignore them (my second favorite role model is Jewish Ms. Ayn Rand), but then again I want to give the market what it wants...

The game: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joanthony.gnbw

My opinion is that it is ok to use the term grammar Nazi with friends and stuff, but if you are publishing an app, it is offensive to use the word Nazi. This is because it's no longer a term just used with your friends, the app is your product and I think i makes you look unprofessional. That's just my two cents but I've never made an app before, so I really don't know.

• Upvote 1

I think the title of this post might be a bit misleading a Jew or even some Jews hated the title might be more accurate.

I don't see the problem in the title from an ethical standing point but from a marketing point of view (I studied it at University) compare the value of having your current title compared to one that couldn't be taken the wrong way. Putting it in the simplest terms which will get you more users (I would argue that your current name is quite strong), way that up with the opportunity cost of renaming the game and I would be surprised if you came to the conclusion that it was worth your time changing the name. Do you have any alternate names in mind?

Let us know what you decide to do when you have thought it through.

edit: I am presuming your target market is kids and parents? Some parents may not like the use of that word but I would bet more parents would describe themselves as a grammar nazi then not download an app because of the phrase grammar nazi. <- this is opinion based would need to do market research to be sure.

• Upvote 1

Just call it Grammar Bibi. More contemporary and in technicolour. Why burn in ovens when you can just broil in white phosphorus?

All macabre kidding aside, I agree with a post above. From a marketing point of view, it would be off-putting IMO. Unless of course you ramp it up and get massive coverage because of your use of the word "Nazi". Just send a promotional email to all the human-rights groups. It might help them distinguish between an "invasion" and an "aid convoy" in Ukraine. Or a "militant" and a "child" in Gaza. That's my rant.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't mind using an app called "Grammar Nazi" but I'm just me and you need to sell your product to as many people as possible.

What's the difference between Hydrox and Oreos? None apart from the name.

Who marketed their cookies first? Hydrox.

Who has more success? Oreos.

Marketing is serious stuff.

• Upvote 1

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some general advice here. I made a game to help people improve their grammar, it's free on the Google play store. After a few months of release it now has more than a thousand downloads and a largely positive response. However, I got two emails today from two different people asking me to change the name as it is offensive. The game is called "Grammar Nazi Book Worm"

From Urban dictionary

Grammar Nazi:Someone who believes it's their duty to attempt to correct any grammar and/or spelling mistakes they observe. Usually found hanging around Irc chatrooms hounding "n00bs".

This is a sample from on of the emails:

"Without going into the quality of your app, I suggest that you

reconsider its name.

I don’t know how old you are, or what kind of education you

received, but the term “Nazi” generally has a negative

connotation for most people, unless you are a skinhead neo-

fascist type.

Also, I don't know if I should use the word "Jews" as it might offend someone... Reminds me of that episode of Always Sunny...

I am inclined to laugh it off and ignore them (my second favorite role model is Jewish Ms. Ayn Rand), but then again I want to give the market what it wants...

The game: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.joanthony.gnbw

I am sure there are some social justice warriors which are offended by Stef's videos, too. Don't give in unless there is no other option. Words are means for communication and have different meanings in different contexts, under different settings, demographics, cultures, countries or mileus. E. g. the word cunt differs in meaning in anglo saxon countries. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunt#Usage_by_meaning

• Upvote 1

It's good that you asked for our input, because I don't think you understood the emails very well.

The title of this thread is simply incorrect. When people who have seen your product send you a genuine email where they tell you how they think you can improve it, you can be sure that they don't hate your product. Also, I wouldn't assume they are Jewish unless they specifically told you so.

Your inclination to laugh it off and ignore them is pretty much the opposite of what you should do. People who are critical, but take you seriously enough to send you an email and explain their criticism, are the most useful customers you can have. Regardless of whether you agree with what they say or not, you should at least thank them for their input.

That said, here's what I think about the name:

Your app has a broad target audience, it can be used and enjoyed by all sorts of people between the ages of 10 to 100. But the phrase "grammar nazi" is only popular with a select segment of the population, everyone else either doesn't know it or doesn't like it. So by using that phrase in the name of your app you're alienating a substantial part of your target audience. Many of whom simply scroll right past it and click on another app instead. But every once in a while a kind stranger will send you an email to tell you why they didn't click on it, and when they do, you should listen and make use of the opportunity for improvement.

• Upvote 2

I like the title, but I'm slightly offended by the overly large radius of the outer glow and the fact that the edges are clipped.  I normally would report this to the Drop Shadow Anti-Defamation League, but I am feeling lenient.  I also am not sure what the smoking blue and orange thing is?

My first reactions was: "fuck 'em" - bunch of hypocritical culture nazis trying to tell everyone what they can and can't do. 

However, after I thought about it for a bit, I realized that this could be an app used by kids. I don't think young kids would understand the tongue-in-cheek usage of the word "nazi". Parents won't want their kids getting any sort of positive connotation of the word.

It also doesn't help that you have something smoldering in your icon.

Maybe change "nazi" to "wizard". Then when you get emails from the fundamentalist Christians about the evils of wizardry, you can laugh it off and tell them that you'll put a spell on them if they send you any more emails.

Wow! lot of responses. I love the feedback.

I'm going to listen to the market and am going to change the name. I just need a catchier title...

I like the title, but I'm slightly offended by the overly large radius of the outer glow and the fact that the edges are clipped.  I normally would report this to the Drop Shadow Anti-Defamation League, but I am feeling lenient.  I also am not sure what the smoking blue and orange thing is?

It also doesn't help that you have something smoldering in your icon.

This app was my trial run in a very free market. I learned that marketing and design are very important. I created the logo myself using some online tools, it shows an eraser rubbing off words from a novel. I like the logo but I hate the design of the app myself, I didn't give the design much thought and focused on the functionality. That said, I don't have the time right now to change the design as I am working on a much larger project. If I get the time I will change it.

I wouldn't assume they are Jewish unless they specifically told you so.

Both the emails I received came from Hebrew/Jewish websites, so I thought that was a reasonable assumption.

Thanks again for the time you guys took to respond. I really appreciate it. If there are some catchier title ideas, I'm listening.

This is like complaining about black Americans using the word nigger. It all depends on your target audience, really.

Are you selling this app to people who would be inclined to find the word "Nazi" attractive? Probably not, haha.

I endorse the title, and I'm a Jewsraeli. However, that's just my sense of humor.

How about: "Grammar President Bookworm:D ?

I don't know what is you question. 

What is you marketing? Shock tactics? Not matter what they speak as long as they speak? If yes than go with Nazi. 

Do you want stand on high moral ground defending Free speech? Go with in Nazi. 

Do you not want upset oversensitive people? Than delete world Nazi. 

Gramar Nazi is a Trope and quite common. I don't see the problem. I assume that you do not glorify Nazism. 

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrammarNazi

Listen to your consumers. If enough of your market is not comfortable with the name, isn't this an indicator to change it? Aren't producers influenced by consumer preference?

I do not mean to suggest that you ought to change the name, but just realize that you may be alienating a large market base. Worse, someone may develop a similar app with a "less offensive" title, which may very negatively affect you.

I also believe it is good to emphasize with people who might legitimately be offended. I can certainly understand that if I personally, or a close relative had gone through the holocaust, that the use of the term Nazi in such a way might trigger some offense. It isn't to say that this is rational or that I ought to be offended, but I think it would be quite understandable for that to be a trigger.

Are you actually concerned about "marketing"? I mean it is free, are you monitizing it in some way?

If you are, you might want to stir up the controversy pot and get press from people pissed at the name... of course you might have a hard time getting press to bother covering such a boring "controversy"

I'm actually amazed that it's 2014 and there is anyone on the internet who doesn't immediately know what a "grammar nazi" is....

This identification is intentional, and why the word Nazi is used.

I personally think you're being concern trolled.

I'm more concerned about the lack of any 3rd Reich paraphernalia in the logo. If I want to find my "grammar nazi bookworm" app... I would think I have to look for the tile with the Swastika, or a lot of red and black, or an iron cross, or at least an eagle carrying a wreath.

Ideas for names without a nazi reference:

Grammar Guesser

Grade that Book!

Publishing Editor Simulator 2014

High School English Teacher Simulator 2014

That said, here's what I think about the name:

Your app has a broad target audience, it can be used and enjoyed by all sorts of people between the ages of 10 to 100. But the phrase "grammar nazi" is only popular with a select segment of the population, everyone else either doesn't know it or doesn't like it. So by using that phrase in the name of your app you're alienating a substantial part of your target audience. Many of whom simply scroll right past it and click on another app instead. But every once in a while a kind stranger will send you an email to tell you why they didn't click on it, and when they do, you should listen and make use of the opportunity for improvement.

Did you ever heard of trolls? Do you know what that quote means? How do you know that it is in his self interest to manage other people's pet peeves? You simply have to draw a line somewhere.

Looking for some general advice here. I made a game to help people improve their grammar, it's free on the Google play store. After a few months of release it now has more than a thousand downloads and a largely positive response.

Who said that people who are ignorant about a word in pop culture are called a substantial part of the target audience, how could you know? Especially if his app is popular noneseless. Albeit their criticism is not valid, since (s. post #7)

Maybe he should release another version called Grammar Zionist - Kosher Edition.  :laugh: An improvement could be a caricature of a Nazi as intro, so that even some dense folks could grasp the meaning. ;)

I love you guys :)

Nathan that pic made me chuckle. Part of me wants to use it as the logo just to stir the pot further.

Mr. Capitalism I love your title suggestions but since I want to keep "grammar" in the title I would like to go with "Grammar Guesser"

I do plan to monetize by adding an epub import feature in the future so I feel like following the Gail Wynand path and pander to the trolls. This may not be a battle worth fighting for.

However, I will take all these wonderful suggestions and discuss them with my therapist today before making a final decision.

How about: Grammar FemiNazi?

Think of the created demand you could fulfill!!!

Every man will have to buy it because they'll be automatically wrong and every non-feminist female will have to buy it because they don't know what's right for them without reference to feminist thinking!!!

In fact, you could probably get government funding for an exploratory case-study sub-committee on the feasibility of integration of FemiNazi grammar in the context of patriarchal language structure.

hehehe....

• 2 weeks later...

In all fairness, how many people have written to tell you they think the name is catchy and succinct? Probably zero. Why? Because it is self-evident. That is likely one reason they decided to download and try it.Compare that to the two letters from the name nazis.  It's not easy to think for yourself. It's easy to be offended - I'm a victim therefore you must change your behavior. Not UPB.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.