College SUCKS!

FreedomNoFilters

This is just a rant I had to put out, but didn't know where else to post. Sorry in advance.---I spent the last two years of my high school self-schooled. Government high school was a traumatizing experience where nobody had anything to say. Luckily I got myself expelled, and basically spent the last two years living a solitary life of study. Being almost completely isolated from the outside world was torture, but Mises, Rothbard, Ray Kurzweil, and Chris Hedges kept me company through their books. I hardly left my room; I'll I'd do was chain smoke (marijuana) and read a book a day. At least I wasn't surrounded by people who would reprimand me for my beliefs...---I will socialize in college. I will meet smart people. Well read communists who will challenge my beliefs. Christians who will challenge my atheism. Libertarians who will agree with me. Professors who will discuss metaphysics. I quit smoking. I exercised to be at my physical best. I practiced math and economics to make sure I'd have an easy time in class.---Its been two weeks and I can now say college sucks. All anyone has to talk about is sports, cars, television, and binge drinking. I'm depressed. I've started skipping class, staying in bed all day. I don't want anything to do with the stupid people outside my dorm room. For the first time in several years, thoughts of suicide creep into my head.---I'm thinking about dropping out and starting a business. Two weeks and I've never been this depressed in my life. If I stay in college, I will wither away...---Thanks for reading. I haven't ever shared any of my feelings with anyone either online or in person in years. I hope I didn't come off as boring.

BTW I don't think Im suicidal. I understand, as an atheist, that there is nothing but life. 

For the first time in several years, thoughts of suicide creep into my head.---I'm thinking about dropping out and starting a business. Two weeks and I've never been this depressed in my life. If I stay in college, I will wither away...---Thanks for reading. I haven't ever shared any of my feelings with anyone either online or in person in years. I hope I didn't come off as boring.

BTW I don't think Im suicidal. I understand, as an atheist, that there is nothing but life. 

Just a side effect of being surrounded by idiots. But like Stefan said: Don't kill yourself because other people are dead.

Of course he meant it figuratively, meaning don't hide yourself from the world just because the others are drones who don't think, but I think it can be used for this also :P

I've had a sort of similar experience as well, on a slightly smaller scale...I just transferred to a new school, which is much MUCH bigger than my old school. It's a shock to me just how many immature, self-centered and empty-headed people there are (many more than intelligent people, if you don't look in specific places). Although there are a few people within my classes who value knowledge, in my dorm hall there really aren't that many of those people around. I know that it's easier for me personally to deal with this by really focusing on my classes; that's really the reason I'm there, and I don't have to interact with dumb people while doing it.

I would also suggest trying to get involved in a club at your school ASAP, since then you can be a little more specific in which types of people you're trying to meet.

It sounds like you're having a really tough time, and I'm very sorry you're feeling that way. Isolation is not a fun feeling at all. If college isn't your thing, that's fine, but if you want to stick it through, I hope that maybe some of the things I mentioned above might be of some help. It can take some time to meet good people at school, especially if you're focused on forming real relationships (everyone goes totally crazy the first couple of weeks meeting people and partying, it can get a little weird). It took me months before I started feeling comfortable with other people when I first started college, and I only met those people because I joined a club. Before that, I focused on classes and doing things that helped me enjoy a solitary life. There's definitely some satisfaction in being comfortable enough with yourself to be alone at times.

Most of the people outside of colleges are not that engaging either. 

I'm guessing that since you were expelled that you didn't have your choice of schools to attend, so you'll have to prove yourself at a low tier school and transfer somewhere with better students and professors to work with. Of course that begs the question of whether you should go to college at all. 

College is useful if you are interested studying anything in science or engineering. Other than that, I don't really see the point. I didn't when I was in college either. I was most interested in art and literature, but I only took math, engineering, and science classes because the arts classes were not worth the money in my opinion - I could teach myself that, and for the most part I have by simply reading about a book a week and looking things up on the internet. 

Economics. I really love econ, but Im far less productive being spoon fed tidbits than just reading a dozen books on my own.---

I won't say where Im going, but its one of the top econ Schools in the country.---Starting a business looks more appealing day by day. I'll read a couple books on business and follow through with one of several ideas I have.---

What I'm worried about is that I wont have that wretched piece of paper which will allow me to seek employment. If my business fails, then I'm screwed. But on the other hand, going to college to be surrounded by idiots for four years (when the economy will have further deteriorated) and work at Starbucks seems even more hellish.

The sad reality is that college is worth what you put into it, and you will be surrounded by a lot of people who don't put much into it at all. 1/3 of them will wash out in Freshman year, though.

Focus on the fact that you are paying for something and extract the most value that you can from it. I made the mistake of treating it as merely a piece of paper.

• Upvote 1

I wrote a post a while back about credit by examination, which allows you to earn credit by taking a test.  Almost all schools allow about 2 years of transfer credit, which can be exams.  This will save you thousands of dollars and lessen the pain of going to school. 

https://board.freedomainradio.com/topic/31799-testing-out-of-college/

Also look into Harvard Exension School, the classes are mostly online, so you can aviod other people

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/

I may not have any advice to help you, but I want to say that I had sort of a similar experience in this last year of college. The education was completely mediocre which made me extremely resentful of being there. I generally am fairly extroverted, but I really hate parties and drinking and doing dumb reckless things just because everyone else is doing them. I talked to hundreds of people and made a lot of acquaintances, but not really any friends. Everyone I talked to told me "yeah the classes in the first two years usually suck, but it gets better after junior year" and "just go to more clubs you'll find some good friends". Part of me really wants to believe those things, but honestly almost everything I've seen has made me pretty cynical of college.

I'm also trying to start my own business. I'm sort of in your same boat. I don't really like college but should I get this degree just as a backup?

Shoulda gone to Hogwarts, eh?  ;)

There are a lot of reasons why college is not worth it but this guy tries to make the point why it's worth it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpP_f4zgn8c

This guy gets it.  :turned:

If you want to be a world-class chef, go learn from a world-class chef. It sounds like that's what you're doing with going to a top-notch economics school; considered top-notch because of the experienced professors, engaged student body, and available resources/reputation I hope.

If economics is your passion, go talk to some economists. Conferences, introductions from friends, telecommunication, even while in school, associate yourself with the peers of your choosing. It also sounds like you've got a foundation of self-study so you'll have the ability to converse intelligibly.

You have the sense to transplant yourself into better conditions to avoid withering; do you know what it takes to thrive in your chosen field?

Thanks a whole lots.---My plan always has been to leave the US. From what I've seen, people are as stupid no matter where you go. However, outside the US, I'll at least always have the excuse of being weird because I'm a foreigner.---The day after I met this post I met two or three fascinating people, all of whom share my feelings about college and are interested in collaborating to start a business.---I've met lots of fascinating people at conferences, conventions, etc...

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.