parenting an addict then taking away his crack

LovePrevails

My parents used to threaten me with taking away the internet and I felt just as hopeless. It's like they're taking the only thing that I had of value in this world. This was before FDR. The only way I stopped them was to threaten back with bad grades. Even if this is fake, I really feel for this guy... Parents blaming their bad job on the products of their bad job.

I'm pretty sure it's fake. The camera work is way too top notch. Zooms in on the character depending on who's talking, never puts a character in the center of the frame (this is a composition trick called rule of thirds), when he enters his brother's room it pans nicely to the whiteboard as if he knew it was there already. Does another nice trick when he zooms in unfocused, then centers the character then focuses (technique made famous by the tv show Firefly). And no portrait mode. Also why would the father bother taking the games out and leaving the cases to nicely sit on the floor as if rummaged through when he could have easily mowed them over too?

Putting the verity of the video aside, I think that suddenly taking away self medication from someone by force is pure sadism. Saying it's for their own good is also bs. It's as if I suddenly decide to teach my friend how to swim and throw him blindfolded in a lake without prior warning.

• Upvote 2

My parents are pretty damn ignorant when it comes to peaceful parenting. Lately I've observed their anti-intuitive methods from an outside perspective since I have a little brother (8 years younger). Direct confrontation has made little difference. My mother tries to excuse herself with the idea of 'seeing red' in the heat of the moment, although she has expressed regret. My father has a limited connection with his kids, so he ends up wielding guilt, family obligation and hierarchical authority rather than negotiating, he also becomes rather defensive and dissociated when topics regarding proper parenting arise.It is tough to change people, probably impossible for an adult child to change their parents.My little brother is still frequently subjected to this confiscation nonsense, it's just a way for parents to deflect responsibility for their own mistakes. Accept the responsibility otherwise your kids will resent you, especially if you're constantly threatening punishment.

Would I be wrong to assert that a huge lack of connection with the family as a whole is what would draw a child to find immense escapism in video games? Been in my case. The rare few times my parents DID bond with me I never wanted it to end, but because it would end abruptly, I would find so much solace in games.

Then there's a cousin of mine who doesn't talk to anyone in our family other than another cousin his age, but if he's not around, he's off playing a hand held game on his own.

Would I be wrong to assert that a huge lack of connection with the family as a whole is what would draw a child to find immense escapism in video games? Been in my case. The rare few times my parents DID bond with me I never wanted it to end, but because it would end abruptly, I would find so much solace in games.

Then there's a cousin of mine who doesn't talk to anyone in our family other than another cousin his age, but if he's not around, he's off playing a hand held game on his own.

Yes, children often find connection through shared experience playing video games, especially nowadays considering they can play with people from all over the world. Games are a distraction from anxiety and loneliness if someone is addicted to them.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.