Last Semester Feedback/Critique

luizpauloalbers

I have notice a big change in Stefan's mood and patience. He does not seem the same guy, trying to explain his arguments with elegance and a lot of education. Of course I understand the importance of saying the truth, but I can't understand why so much arrogance is needed. I can't imagine Stefan debating with Peter Joseph nowadays in the same class as he did, trying to be friendly and polite (at least in the beginning of their conversation, before Peter been so rude)I would like to see more patience and mainly, more smiles. I have lost my willing to donate my bitcoins. Does anyone here feels the same thing?

• Downvote 6

Well I don't know what this has to do with anything if the truth is all that matters. Personally I like the more hardcore Stefan, but, again, it's just my preference and it's not why I'm here. Why would Stefan's arguments be more or less valid if they're whispered gently or shouted violently?

He seems to be a little more impatient with the listeners, if anything. It's a mixed feeling for me. Sometimes the listeners are really needing someone to make them uncomfortable and pierce their defenses (I know I would need that in some areas), but I think the "hardcore" Stefan is a good change. I trust he knows pretty well when to try to strike down defenses, or to nuture people along in a call. Since he has many podcasts not being more "aggressive" (which doesn't compare to the type of atrocities that his callers have dealt with due the their families, usually), it gives the library a variety. It might have repercussions for sure, but the truth will have them no matter what you try to do.Also, I think as Stef puts out new shows, regular listeners--like most of us on the board--might get caught up in thinking that his current shows are his entire image, which of course it is a large part of how new viewers take him. But, sometimes we might have to remember that when he changes things, he changes them from what he already did; there still exists thousands of podcasts from 2006 onward that are available to consume.

Essentialy, it's just a preference, and I see what you mean luizpauloalbers. Truth is the truth though.

As he said once, "As long as they spell my name right!"

Wuzzums, did I say that his arguments are not correct? or even the opposite? My comment doesn't have anything to do with his arguments.Hmm, yeah I think something is necessary to be hard with some people, specially when it comes to talking true statements that people don't want to accept. When I say that Stefan has been too impatient, doesn't mean that all his actions are wrong, Maybe for some people (like you guys) it is been better this way, which is totally fine. I hope more people have your opinion then mine, after all I still want the message been spread, I am just afraid this is one of the reasons the donations are going down.

>I would like to see more patience and mainly, more smiles. I have lost my willing to donate my bitcoins. Does anyone here feels the same thing?

Nope. I like the more assertive and aggressive Stef. If you listen to his older stuff, he is more patient and has his teeth removed. I have a preference to his new personality. I'm sure most of it comes from him narrowly missing death and not having time for the usual bullshit.

If you are looking for smiles and patience, there are plenty of other people to listen to. Philosophy has no time for bullshit.

>I am just afraid this is one of the reasons the donations are going down.

M8 - I don't think you have any idea why his donations are going down. I think that's a poor attempt of emotional manipulation. If you have lost your willingness to donate because he is hard on some people (that doesn't mean anything btw) then maybe philosophy is not for you. 

"Sometimes being too kind can actually prevent someone from doing what they need to do." - Fluttershy

In this case face reality and connect with their emotions, as many callers have a tendancy to avoid. But I understand why of course. It's painful in the moment, but much more beneficial in the long run, and a lot of us need that extra push to undo our illusions.

And yes I did quote a character from a children's cartoon show :P

1 - "Emotional manipulation" 

2 - "Philosophy has no time for bullshit" 

3 - "Maybe philosophy it is not for you"Is this kind of thing that I am talking about, I came here with the willing to put new ideas and get others (which some people did), and you just put affirmations without even asking some questions more and try to know a little more of my reasons, It looked like you had no interest of my view, just wanted to put your (which is of course absolutely right).I am going to reply you in each topic, so maybe we can understand us more1- Really? Why would I try to do that?

Of course I am not sure about that, it is an attempt of understanding what is going on. It is a perfect reasonable guess. If it isn't, you can show me where it is my mistake, because you didn't talk about that.2- Philosophy is the method, but it involves communication to get people to understand things. A good teacher of math is not necessary the best mathematician, the best one, is the one who makes people understand math. So no, having a better communication with people (which involves patient and smiles), is not bullshit. 3- So if I believe that Stefan is a good philosopher, but he is getting a worse teacher, is completely reasonable, for me stop donating. After all, the whole purpose of doing it, is spreading philosophy.When I had no idea of what philosophy is, and saw some hard conversation that Stefan has, I would maybe find he an idiot, but because he had such a good communication on the beginning, I could understand it, and now I can have more direct conversations about philosophy. My whole point is getting potential philosophers not getting interested because of the lack of politeness of Stef.But after some comments, I also saw some positive affect of the direct approach, at least in high members, what you guys think about the affect on new members? 

"Sometimes being too kind can actually prevent someone from doing what they need to do." - Fluttershy

In this case face reality and connect with their emotions, as many callers have a tendancy to avoid. But I understand why of course. It's painful in the moment, but much more beneficial in the long run, and a lot of us need that extra push to undo our illusions.

And yes I did quote a character from a children's cartoon show :P

That is a good point. 

It is always much much better, being rude then not talking the true.But I am not that sure if this is always rude, I know many people that I have to get them with small steps, if I do a big step of true, they run away, I actually have many problems with doing that hahah 

• Downvote 1

I don't think you understood what I meant. You can still talk the truth while being rude. Not putting Stefan in this category, but rudeness (as you perceive Stefan's new personality) is not mutually exclusive from truth. 

Can you tell me which specific recent call-in shows that made you feel like Stefan was being rude? You're right about one thing, we haven't asked you much questions on your view for you to expand on them. Sorry for speaking for everyone in this thread, I'm willing to give this guy a chance to speak his mind.

However, making wild assertions like rudeness invalidating truth and laughing it off might diminish your chance of being taken seriously. You're also right about how, if I read your last sentence correctly, it takes small steps for people to accept truth. From my perspective, though, the callers who are given the small steps, but don't take it, require the big step of truth so it becomes more obvious to them. It's good to have a huge dose of truth if small doses don't do it, but should never of course start with the big step unless someone asks for it. Which is what most callers do, they ask for Stefan to be blunt, up front, and honest.

>Is this kind of thing that I am talking about, I came here with the willing to put new ideas and get others (which some people did), and you just put affirmations without even asking some questions more and try to know a little more of my reasons, It looked like you had no interest of my view, just wanted to put your (which is of course absolutely right).

Are you aware of how hard you are trolling at the moment? You asked "does anyone here feel the same things?" and I answered. You then accused me of not being interested in your views and new ideas when attacked me for expressing mine. Can you not see the hypocrisy?

I understand your views just fine when you let out troll quotes such as "I can't understand why so much arrogance is needed", "I have lost my willing to donate my bitcoins" and "I'm just afraid this is one o the reasons the donations are going down". Similar arguments are put forth by the troll people. I think it's clear that this isn't about Stef or FDR, this is about you. You are not going to get anywhere if you are not honest with us and yourself. And FDR getting a drop of donations because you find him "arrogant" is not something we are concerned about. 

Instead of being angry at Stef and the FDR members, maybe you should talk to the people you are close to in your life about why this stuff is bothering you. That's much more important.

I don't think you understood what I meant. You can still talk the truth while being rude. Not putting Stefan in this category, but rudeness (as you perceive Stefan's new personality) is not mutually exclusive from truth. 

Can you tell me which specific recent call-in shows that made you feel like Stefan was being rude? You're right about one thing, we haven't asked you much questions on your view for you to expand on them. Sorry for speaking for everyone in this thread, I'm willing to give this guy a chance to speak his mind.

However, making wild assertions like rudeness invalidating truth and laughing it off might diminish your chance of being taken seriously. You're also right about how, if I read your last sentence correctly, it takes small steps for people to accept truth. From my perspective, though, the callers who are given the small steps, but don't take it, require the big step of truth so it becomes more obvious to them. It's good to have a huge dose of truth if small doses don't do it, but should never of course start with the big step unless someone asks for it. Which is what most callers do, they ask for Stefan to be blunt, up front, and honest.

I tried to say, that the main priority of all, it is talking the true. But that doesn't mean you have to be rude, or even nice. Which is an argument in agreement with rudeness is not mutually exclusive from truth. The point is how to speak the true can change the results you have on others.Actually rude, might not be the perfect word (although sometimes I would use this word), I think inpatient is the best word to describe it. It is hard to say what videos and specially when in the videos (after all the videos are usually huge) he presented these new characteristics, as some of you recognized, he changed.The last call-in show I saw was "How to not fight evil", despite the fact I didn't agree with the guy, I could really see a philosophical doubt of him and a big open minded. Stefan got really inpatient many times, and as he was live, I notice some mistakes of him, which is something normal when you don't have much time to think about a subject, but he sounded arrogant instead a little more humble (which I believe would be a better attitude). Please don't think this is the only call I thought he acted with a lack of communication or even the worst, is just one of the examples which was fresh in my memory.I just want to repeat one thing again that I didn't say in any moment: RUDENESS DOES NOT INVALIDATE TRUE. I of course agree with you guys on that.I liked you last sentence, it makes perfect sense, one of the things I didn't consider much, it is the willing of the callers of having straight talks, wanting a big step, which is reasonable. But also there is a trade-off in this sense, between callers and listeners. New listeners can stop watching the program while some callers the exact opposite.It would be very nice to talk with some of the guys who were callers of this shows...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.