"Spanking isn't parenting; it's child abuse" - Article on CNN

alwazqestion

Yes, never read the comments on articles or videos that talk about the evils of spanking. It's completely disheartening and will make you want to jump off the top of a large building. But the fact that a left wing news establishment would be anti-spanking isn't necessarily a shock. Remember, they are supposed to be the anti-right which is all religious and "God told me to spank my child" and junk. 

• Upvote 1

Yes, never read the comments on articles or videos that talk about the evils of spanking. It's completely disheartening and will make you want to jump off the top of a large building. But the fact that a left wing news establishment would be anti-spanking isn't necessarily a shock. Remember, they are supposed to be the anti-right which is all religious and "God told me to spank my child" and junk. 

Was feeling pretty good about this, and I still am, but you were right. Reading the comments is always disappointing.

I commented on it...I feel like someone should put a voice of reason in there:

' "Hitting your wife is not marital abuse, beating your wife is"....not even 100 years ago, people would be saying the exact thing about marital abuse. (There was even a law saying how long the stick you could use to beat her should be - look up the origins of "rule of thumb.") Just because it happened to them and they turned out fine, does not make it right.'

• Upvote 1

Based on the Bomb in the Brain series, the behavior in the comment section is what we ought to expect. If the arguments made in the series are valid, then this is further supporting evidence.

I am more optimistic than most on this subject than most. It is of course jarring to see such reactions and rationalizations, but it is better to be seeing these responses than to not. Someone who spoke out during the age of slavery would not receive such rationalizations or justifications, rather they'd be ignored or laughed at. During abolition, when someone spoke out, those who supported slavery would rationalize, justify, and become defensive as to their actions.

Though impossible to predict, I feel as though the tide of science will sweep through slowly. I don't think there will be much of an issue with spanking in the future, but I do think it will take some time for proponents to die off. It is kind of like how the greatest blow to racism were racists dying of old age.

• Upvote 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.