Spread: a movie about the infantalized male turned misogynist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTJcwcEq5eA

I don't condone the kind of behaviour or advice Ashton Kutcher's character portrays here, but I think it's interesting to see what happens to a man so sexually humiliated that he has to become a manipulative man like he plays in the movie.

Many of you virtuous men on here will be sickened by this man's behaviour and let me tell you, he gets what he deserves in the end. It's an incredible watch and speaks well of how easy it is for men to fall into the PUA structure of interacting with women, whilst diminishing their chances of finding any real love or intimacy.

Many of you virtuous men on here will be sickened by this man's behaviour and let me tell you, he gets what he deserves in the end. It's an incredible watch and speaks well of how easy it is for men to fall into the PUA structure of interacting with women, whilst diminishing their chances of finding any real love or intimacy.

My rebuttal argument is as follows: (1) If it's a Hollywood-produced movie, it's going to place all of the blame on the men, and none on the women.  (2) If PUA-type interactions work, it means that PUA's have an accurate psychological assessment of women.  If PUA's have an accurate psychological assessment of women, then there are few (if any) women with whom real love or intimacy is possible.  And because modern women have (arguably, and probably correctly) both freedom and access to important information at levels that are greater than those of any women in history, then women's inability to form real love and intimate connections simply must be their fault.  (If not, then it means that women don't have the capability of turning freedom into virtue - which means they arguably ought not have any freedom.) 

• Upvote 2

I'll have to watch this movie in full before I can make any real assessment RJ (which I will). But I must admit (at least from the trailer) I'm veering towards MMX's thoughts. It feels like the ultimate contemporary fantasy 'chick flick', whereby the PUA male that they've fallen for, for like 10 times or more before finally gets his comeuppance. 

I'm curious to know how the lady he seemingly falls for, doesn't attempt to use the same tricks he uses.. All said, I clearly need to watch it before I can pass any real judgement. :)

Of course you are right, that he seemingly does get what he asked for, in his lack of virtue.

If PUA-type interactions work, it means that PUA's have an accurate psychological assessment of women.  If PUA's have an accurate psychological assessment of women, then there are few (if any) women with whom real love or intimacy is possible.  And because modern women have (arguably, and probably correctly) both freedom and access to important information at levels that are greater than those of any women in history, then women's inability to form real love and intimate connections simply must be their fault.  (If not, then it means that women don't have the capability of turning freedom into virtue - which means they arguably ought not have any freedom.) 

There is no doubt that PUA approaches are successful with some women, but its hard to extract that to all women, or to a necessary psychological condition of women.  That is to say, perhaps in a world where children are raised peaceful, these approaches would sound absurd.  

As for the movie, it sounds half interesting but I cant STAND that "sexy voice" kutcher is using, its so practiced. 

nevermind, I can't stand this movie anymore.

I got 15 minutes in and I couldn't handle how shallow and manipulative Nikki is. So sleazy too. He's basically a homeless, jobless, good looking man who looks for women to bang so he can stay in their luxurious Hollywood houses. I know the movie picks up later where there's a backlash to his actions and that there's a girl who doesn't fall for his shit, who of course eventually does, but

in the end, I do remember he ends up alone as he should

this movie now hurts my soul to watch lol.

You're all free to check it out still and give me your thoughts, but it is nowhere near the character development and enjoyment as Don Jon. I don't think Nikki learns anything or improves as a person at the end of the movie, rather just gets punished for being the shallow douche that he is.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.