PetrKL

It's like.... where would you even begin? :D You'd think that for a guy who advocates elimination of waste and sustainibility P-Jo would have more sense than to make almost 2 thousand copies that only take up storage place for years. Instead he blames the market ... again :D Your thoughts about this?

post-21092-0-27134900-1412069051_thumb.jpg

omg, the projection....

"This system is one massive waste machine."

No, Peter. You are. 

If you really want to talk about waste, just look at nature. Every time I ejaculate, that's millions of sperm just wasted, oh the horror. 

Over my whole life time, I think I'm into the trillions. What kind of genocide is this! Damn you nature!!!!

• Upvote 2

@PetrKL: Source? The following is predicated on him actually saying those words:

It starts by saying the market has found a new way to piss him off. The market is people, so he's complaining to people that they piss him off. While not being honest about who/what he's pissed off at.

If waste was his concern, why would he make all those DVDs? Digital distribution networks have been in place for many years now. The claim of "waste" as the problem is again not honest.

"inventory doesn't move as fast as Amazon likes" This is again not honest. Amazon's preferences have nothing to do with it. It costs money to maintain buildings and somebody else's stuff in that building costs the owner of the building. It sounds as if Amazon provided this storage up front for free and his problem is that they're taking this generosity off the table as the merch has overstayed its welcome. Rather than be grateful he didn't have to pay for the storage from the get go, he demonizes his business partner for adhering to the terms of their partnership.

More dishonesty: He speaks as if he's encouraged to "totally waste" the DVDs. As if he's a victim of a malicious, external source. When in fact the waste was his own error. Not only has digital distribution been around for years, but so has the concept of pre-sale. Pre-sales are an incredibly helpful market signal for gauging interest in your product. I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that entrepreneurs have figured out that if you have X pre-sales, then you want to manufacture Y * X units where Y is a factor derived from empirical evidence of total sale to pre-sale ratio.

The takeaway is that he's not responsible for any of his actions and any bad decisions he's made are either misrepresented outright or portrayed as a victimization of him. I don't understand why somebody would self-publish such a thing. Doesn't he realize that the market will punish him for being a failure, being dishonest, and maligning his business partner for engaging in the terms HE agreed to?

• Upvote 1

@PetrKL: Source? The following is predicated on him actually saying those words:

He shared this today on his official Facebook page. I put a screenshot here in case the link didn't work, or Peter deleted the status. Here it is, I hope it works.https://www.facebook.com/peterjosephofficial/posts/755074347863056

But you know. Back before I even knew the word "voluntaryism" I actually used to be a Zeitgeister myself. Crazy times. Basically I was afraid that I'll end up homeless at that time, so maybe that's why The Venus Project was so appealing to me.

My (now defunct) unsigned band has sold CDs on amazon for years, sending 10-15 CDs at a time at first and then lowering down to 5-10 as sales decreased, and they have never charged us a long term storage fee.  Funny how that works.  They actually send a notice when quantities are low to let us know when they need to restock soon.

My (now defunct) unsigned band has sold CDs on amazon for years, sending 10-15 CDs at a time at first and then lowering down to 5-10 as sales decreased, and they have never charged us a long term storage fee.  Funny how that works.  They actually send a notice when quantities are low to let us know when they need to restock soon.

1700 3oz DVD cases with DVDs in them is about 318 pounds of DVDs... and they are probably split up amongst a few distribution centers rather than all being in one place. DVD cases are also slightly larger than CD jewel boxes.

Eh, not worth spending too much time on this, but it sounds like someone did not partake in "Just In Time" production, let alone the growing trend of digital delivery over physical. I've watched all the Zeitgeist material online through legal channels, never really had much of a need for a physical copy.

Amazon is making him pay $1000/quarter to store 1700 DVDs, or about 59c per DVD per quarter.  That sounds like a lot.  You can have bulk DVDs MADE for about that.  Keeping DVDs in a box in a warehouse doesn't sound that expensive.  So why charge that much?  Are they trying to get rid of "bulk" items that don't sell in bulk?  Just leaving their system clear for things that actually move?  I don't know.

What I do know is filled DVDs are made of Petrochemicals, computer processing and laser use, i.e. really cheap things.  So this "waste" is bugger all in terms of resources we're actually short of.  Listening to that *&$#head is waste in my time and patience which I'm far shorter of.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.