Spanking on American Dad

Mister Mister

http://www.trailercodes.com/tv/american-dad--the-missing-kink/spanking

Has anyone seen this?  It aired in April 2013.  As far as I can tell there was no significant public reaction.  None of the reviews I read even mentioned the spanking.  I just find it interesting to see spanking portrayed in popular culture, including drawing the connection between spanking as a punishment for children and as a sexual fetish.  I know Stef has talked about how you never see spanking on TV shows although obviously this show is not quite the same form as a family show like Full House or the Cosby Show.  What do you think?

Yeah Stan spanks his kids, but one of the key jokes of the series is how bad a father he is.  That someone like him spanks makes it look like incompetent fathers spank.  The fact that he's unaware of his wife's sexual enjoyment of spanking shows how un-empathetic he is.  So the clip doesn't really "promote" or "glorify" spanking.  Given how his kids have turned out (socially awkward nerd pervert and useless spounger/"rebel" he's not presented as someone to emulate.

"American Dad" is about BAD fathering, so it's not an endorsement that one of the least empathetic non-villains* on TV does it. 

* Maybe.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.