Is anyone up for a dream interpretation?

Alvaro Bernardes

Hey guys so I had this dream less than an hour ago, what do you think?

Text between [ ] are explaining my real life, not the dream itself.

I arrived in a tropical place, an avenue, close to the see in the start and turning inland in the end [it's similar to a place in my town, but in a tropical setting].
This is all very confusing, and i'm not sure what happened first, but I start walking down the street and the first thing I notice is this jaguar becomes agressive towards a man and he extends his hand to his nose, making him docile and run away.
After this and a bit further down the road the jaguar starts coming after me, but having seen the man I do the same thing and make him friendly.
I started petting the jaguar and he was really enjoying it, laying down with his belly up so i'd pet him [i have a cat, and this is known as one place that cats wont let you touch unless they completely trust you].
The jaguar leaves, not sure why, and I continue down the road and enter the house with some of my family, that have joined me midway. My family never happeared, but I had the feeling they were there.
So after entering the house, I notice there are people there but get the feeling they don't really matter, so i dont even recognise anyone.
I hear someone saying there's a fire and I try to go outside and put it out with a recipient and water. I don't really know where I'm getting the water from, but its not really important.
So I start putting out the fire thats going on in the front garden, in the plants. After a small battle we finally put it down.
I was the only one outside and felt like there was a voice telling me to go outside. I felt like I was the only one doing productive work there.
After the fire I see the jaguar outside and go pet him, he's really happy to see me.
I start walking back the road in the direction I came, and my family joins me midway.
I asked them If we can keep the jaguar, since we'll be leaving. She says no, because jaguars are too dangerous and if they bite me it will hurt. [i'm always wrestling with my cat playfully and he bites my hand, controlling his strenght. It doesn't hurt much so I continue playing]
This part of the dream ends here, and another one starts, in which i'm writting a letter to a friend I met there. I don't remember where I met him, maybe at the fire? Maybe he was the voice? Maybe the guy who controlled the jaguar?
So I'm very sad writting this letter and telling him that australia is my dream place to live [it is in real life, but I'm afraid of all the dangers there]
I remember this guys being a friend like no other, best friend. [i have some people I play games with, but I don't consider them true friends. I'm pretty lonely]
I also remember he made youtube videos about australia, debunking misconceptions about it.
The dream ends here, with me thinking that I don't really have to leave, but leaving the place.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

My general sense of the whole thing is that you are comfortable with something that is not necessarily productive, like playing video games instead of studying or learning something new, working on a project you've always wanted to do, getting a job, changing a job, being more productive in your work, etc. You appear to have learned some control and enjoyment of it. I'm talking of the jaguar metaphor here. A dangerous animal which acts out of habit. Nice and cuddly but still a dangerous animal. There is some control of it but also awareness that it can (and likely will) come back and "bite you". 

I get a very strong impression of you thinking very little of yourself and what you have to contribute to the world. I say this because of the vague sense of family being there -- but they are not there. The people in the house (general and unidentified aspects of you) don't really matter. The green stuff would be things growing in you. The fire would be massive expansion. And you intentionally put it out using water and it doesn't matter where the water came from. So you stopped the expansion and it didn't matter how that was done. What if the water represents your life experiences and emotions? What would that say about how you view your contribution to the creative, growing nature of your life? You could be sabotaging your creativity and just not care that you are doing it because you don't think you are important anyway. 

The second part of the dream contains a clue to perhaps why you may be procrastinating on producing something in your life (that is of course if my first assessment was in the ballpark.) There is a fear of going somewhere you really want to go because you are afraid of what you might find there. Apparently you also have the information needed to understand that your fears are unfounded. So that says to me that you do have an idea about what you want to do with your life but are afraid to act even in light of having the needed information. It's easier and very comfortable to return to the perceived safety of what is known. I believe this is the thing that keeps coming back to "bite you". You know that ease and comfort will not realize your dreams. 

I don't understand the last piece you put in there. What place were you leaving? If it was realizing that the dangers of "Australia" were false and leaving to go there, then that is productive. You would face your fear and do what you desire in your heart. If it is that you leave that space of recognizing you are holding yourself back and perhaps wasting your life and you decide to go back to your old ways -- not so productive. 

So that's my take on the imagery presented. Kind of general I know, but I do not know you or anything about your life. Let me know what you think. 

It sounds like the jaguar might represent your anger or similar emotion. Your family doesn't want it around, not because it will hurt you, as it clearly trusts you, but because they are actually afraid of it. The person who shows you how to deal with the jaguar might be Stef or FDR or a therapist, teaching you how to 'befriend' your emotions so they don't work against you. Its also interesting that the jaguar leaves before your family appears. The fire is possibly the evil that is burning up the world and the future which is represented by burning the garden which might be necessary for future survival. Its also interesting that your family does not help put out the fire, perhaps they are all statists and are indifferent to or unwilling to help stop the the destruction of the world.

The second part of the dream seems like the friend is helping you leave your destructive family behind. As you say he could be the guy who is helping you understand the jaguar, or put out the fire, or the guy telling you that you need to help with the fire, i.e. save the world. He is also debunking the dangers of Australia, which, is possibly analogous to debunking the 'dangers' of a stateless society, or it just means what it says, that Australia isn't that bad and that you should follow your dreams and leave your family.

I hope that makes sense, would love to hear your thoughts on it and if it lines up with what your life is like. Also I don't know what your skills are etc but if you are looking for some kind of work in Oz you can check out thejobshop.com.au, a western Australia based employment agency.

First of all, thank you all for your interest!

Ok, incoming wall of text:

It would be more helpful to also share what happened the day before, especially if there were important ideas or concerns on your mind.

Not much happened. It was the weekend after the first week of classes i've had in over a year, but the day was quite lazy, browsing the web and playing video games.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

My general sense of the whole thing is that you are comfortable with something that is not necessarily productive, like playing video games instead of studying or learning something new, working on a project you've always wanted to do, getting a job, changing a job, being more productive in your work, etc. You appear to have learned some control and enjoyment of it. I'm talking of the jaguar metaphor here. A dangerous animal which acts out of habit. Nice and cuddly but still a dangerous animal. There is some control of it but also awareness that it can (and likely will) come back and "bite you". 

I get a very strong impression of you thinking very little of yourself and what you have to contribute to the world. I say this because of the vague sense of family being there -- but they are not there. The people in the house (general and unidentified aspects of you) don't really matter. The green stuff would be things growing in you. The fire would be massive expansion. And you intentionally put it out using water and it doesn't matter where the water came from. So you stopped the expansion and it didn't matter how that was done. What if the water represents your life experiences and emotions? What would that say about how you view your contribution to the creative, growing nature of your life? You could be sabotaging your creativity and just not care that you are doing it because you don't think you are important anyway. 

The second part of the dream contains a clue to perhaps why you may be procrastinating on producing something in your life (that is of course if my first assessment was in the ballpark.) There is a fear of going somewhere you really want to go because you are afraid of what you might find there. Apparently you also have the information needed to understand that your fears are unfounded. So that says to me that you do have an idea about what you want to do with your life but are afraid to act even in light of having the needed information. It's easier and very comfortable to return to the perceived safety of what is known. I believe this is the thing that keeps coming back to "bite you". You know that ease and comfort will not realize your dreams. 

I don't understand the last piece you put in there. What place were you leaving? If it was realizing that the dangers of "Australia" were false and leaving to go there, then that is productive. You would face your fear and do what you desire in your heart. If it is that you leave that space of recognizing you are holding yourself back and perhaps wasting your life and you decide to go back to your old ways -- not so productive. 

So that's my take on the imagery presented. Kind of general I know, but I do not know you or anything about your life. Let me know what you think. 

I'll divide this reply into pharagraphs, as in your text:

It's amazing how many things you got correct on my life. So yes, I played a lot of videogames last year, having taken a break from school to do some side projects and dealing with my life. I wouldn't say I was confortable with it, as I was often feeling useless while playing video games. What do you mean by control here?

The first sentence is true, though I don't understand how the my family got you to this conclusion. I'm 19 years old. What do you mean by the fire being an expansion?

"There is a fear of going somewhere you really want to go because you are afraid of what you might find there." Yes. I've been feeling this more and more, being afraid to go to therapy. I don't really understand why, and I feel there's something in my mind blocking me from knowing and going. The remaining of the paragraph makes absolute sense.

I was leaving australia, and I agree with your sentence:"If it is that you leave that space of recognizing you are holding yourself back and perhaps wasting your life and you decide to go back to your old ways -- not so productive."

It sounds like the jaguar might represent your anger or similar emotion. Your family doesn't want it around, not because it will hurt you, as it clearly trusts you, but because they are actually afraid of it. The person who shows you how to deal with the jaguar might be Stef or FDR or a therapist, teaching you how to 'befriend' your emotions so they don't work against you. Its also interesting that the jaguar leaves before your family appears. The fire is possibly the evil that is burning up the world and the future which is represented by burning the garden which might be necessary for future survival. Its also interesting that your family does not help put out the fire, perhaps they are all statists and are indifferent to or unwilling to help stop the the destruction of the world.

The second part of the dream seems like the friend is helping you leave your destructive family behind. As you say he could be the guy who is helping you understand the jaguar, or put out the fire, or the guy telling you that you need to help with the fire, i.e. save the world. He is also debunking the dangers of Australia, which, is possibly analogous to debunking the 'dangers' of a stateless society, or it just means what it says, that Australia isn't that bad and that you should follow your dreams and leave your family.

I hope that makes sense, would love to hear your thoughts on it and if it lines up with what your life is like. Also I don't know what your skills are etc but if you are looking for some kind of work in Oz you can check out thejobshop.com.au, a western Australia based employment agency.

The first and second paragraphs ring so many bells, and it makes complete sense, thank you so much!

Unfortunately, I'm 19 and taking classes for web development and have a girlfried who's in college. Moving to Australia would be really nice, but I don't have much information about its laws and it isn't a possibility in the near future, but i will definitely consider it before I have kids and when i'm financially independent!

I'll divide this reply into paragraphs, as in your text:

It's amazing how many things you got correct on my life. So yes, I played a lot of video games last year, having taken a break from school to do some side projects and dealing with my life. I wouldn't say I was comfortable with it, as I was often feeling useless while playing video games. What do you mean by control here?  

The control is that you are good at ignoring the thoughts of uselessness. It gives you a false sense of control of your life. The thought of going out and exploring Australia or other life experiences (or therapy) is not comfortable. So you control your comfort level by going back to what is familiar -- even though you have nagging thoughts about it being useless, it is still comfortable and known and you keep doing it. There is a false sense of control in living your life this way. 

The first sentence is true, though I don't understand how the my family got you to this conclusion. I'm 19 years old. 

My method of dream interpretation is that the people in your dreams represent various aspects of yourself that you have created based on those around you. The way that you described your family was that they were there and not there. So the image that presented to me was that you have various ideas about who you are but they are not important enough to become truly visible in your world. It's like having something in the back of your mind but not bringing it into empirical existence. It's like being aware that you think you have writing talent but then comparing yourself to others and deciding that you really don't have much to offer. The thought is still there -- but never makes it into reality. I'm not sure I'm explaining that very well.  

What do you mean by the fire being an expansion?

Another basic concept I use in my dream interpretation is the purpose or function of things. So in your dream you have growing things like ideas you are cultivating. They catch fire. And that says to me that you have had a great idea about what you want to do and you even spent some time thinking about it -- expanding on it -- and it caught fire in your mind. Like you started to get really motivated. Then, likely, the fear came up and you put out the fire.  

In my interpretation water would indicate your life experiences or perhaps your emotional experience. We are bags of water. The earth is 3/4 water. We experience life in water. You used your experiences (likely negative reinforced things you learned at home and at school) to put out that fire. Thoughts of being inadequate, fear of failure, etc. Whatever your childhood stuff is about. Putting that together with what you said about my accurate statement regarding not feeling like you have much to offer is where I would look for the root cause of where you got the water (life experiences or emotions). You said you didn't know where it came from. Therapy might give you insight into that.  

"There is a fear of going somewhere you really want to go because you are afraid of what you might find there." Yes. I've been feeling this more and more, being afraid to go to therapy. I don't really understand why, and I feel there's something in my mind blocking me from knowing and going. The remaining of the paragraph makes absolute sense.

I was leaving australia, and I agree with your sentence:"If it is that you leave that space of recognizing you are holding yourself back and perhaps wasting your life and you decide to go back to your old ways -- not so productive."

I urge you to go to therapy. It's not such a bad place. Scary like Australia? Maybe. Maybe not. The result is worth it. Or you can go back to playing games. Eventually (perhaps age 40, and where the hell did my life go) it will come back to bite you. And you know it. 

Hope some of this helps. Let me know if you have more questions. 

Thanks again for sharing. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.