Finding a therapist in Portugal

N01Z10N

Hi everyone. I'm a long time listener to the podcast. Just recently I've gained the courage to confront my mother about the past and present, she's interested in trying to understand and help me but it's too overwhelming since I have no one to share or with any deep connection and she's completely in the dark about these things. I thought about seeking therapy in the past but never looked for one. Now with the anxiety I've been feeling and recent events I think it's time for that.

I live in Portugal and was wondering if anyone here knows or has been to a therapist "compatible" with what Stefan teaches, in the country I'm in.Thanks in advance.

This may have crossed your mind, but have you thought of doing therapy through Skype/Google Hangouts? It surely gives me a lot more freedom to have selectivity about who I choose for myself--especially when we come from such a small community as this.What do you think about that option?

• Upvote 1

This may have crossed your mind, but have you thought of doing therapy through Skype/Google Hangouts? It surely gives me a lot more freedom to have selectivity about who I choose for myself--especially when we come from such a small community as this.What do you think about that option?

I saw a couple of users posting about their services and even offering some time for free, and I'm thinking about trying that for sure. Didn't really thought about looking for one to do via internet, but I'm considering it right now for sure. I prefer doing it in person for obvious reasons (the connection and language), but I guess I'll know what to look for in therapy in person if I get some experience with someone that connects and can give me what I need. I think I'll give it a try. Do you have resources to find one or recommendations?Thank you for such a quick response.

EDIT: Just found this topic https://board.freedomainradio.com/topic/41583-therapist-hunt-resources/ but I'll very much appreciate your feedback.

I mean, it's cheaper and you can be a lot more discriminator in your desires for attributes of a therapist, but yeah the filter of internet conversation is a lot less beneficial to face-to-face, in the same room type of conversation. I'd always thought it'd be better to have a therapist that fits all of my needs rather than a sub-par therapist that's in the same room with me. I just started with someone here on the boards, I'll PM you about it.

I mean, it's cheaper and you can be a lot more discriminator in your desires for attributes of a therapist, but yeah the filter of internet conversation is a lot less beneficial to face-to-face, in the same room type of conversation. I'd always thought it'd be better to have a therapist that fits all of my needs rather than a sub-par therapist that's in the same room with me. I just started with someone here on the boards, I'll PM you about it.

Yeah I guess you might be right and my priorities may be wrong. I don't think my english isn't so bad that I can't communicate with and understand someone over skype. I'm gonna try it out and only the future will tell. Thank you very much.

As for the thread, I did find one psychotherapist with some IFS knowledge in Lisbon but has a quote from Carl Jung in her profile, not a bad one but I guess he isn't that well respected in the community. (I hope I'm not confusing him with someone else)Here's her Linkedin: http://pt.linkedin.com/pub/silvia-de-jesus-coutinho/39/46a/53a

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.