The brain when playing an instrument and when listening to music - fascinating

villagewisdom

All children (6) in my family were "strongly encouraged" (required) to play instruments and were offered the option to continue after one year. I (and one brother) stayed with it for years and through multiple instruments. My siblings teased, ostracized, and tried to make me feel bad because I was sharp, had a good memory, never needed to study, seemed to just pick up stuff by osmosis, etc.

Oh well, they all had the chance. 

http://ed.ted.com/lessons/how-playing-an-instrument-benefits-your-brain-anita-collins 

I'd be interested in brain studies on how singing affects the brain. Perhaps they exist. I think I'll go look that up right now. I really do love to sing and people say I look completely different when I'm singing. 

All children (6) in my family were "strongly encouraged" (required) to play instruments and were offered the option to continue after one year. I (and one brother) stayed with it for years and through multiple instruments. My siblings teased, ostracized, and tried to make me feel bad because I was sharp, had a good memory, never needed to study, seemed to just pick up stuff by osmosis, etc.

Oh well, they all had the chance. 

http://ed.ted.com/lessons/how-playing-an-instrument-benefits-your-brain-anita-collins 

I'd be interested in brain studies on how singing affects the brain. Perhaps they exist. I think I'll go look that up right now. I really do love to sing and people say I look completely different when I'm singing. 

Very interesting video, I was a little jealous when they confirmed that playing musical instruments are the only thing that lights up the brain like it does because I am one of those who dropped playing instruments. Also I'm sorry to hear that your siblings treated you so badly for being intelligent, it is very unfortunate that you had to go through that.

Did you happen to find any videos on singing? I would be interested to see those as well because I think singing is very powerful. In my experience I have found that singing, combined with listening, is a very powerful way to connect people emotionally. I was thinking about trying to get a group of FDR listeners together to do a group call to do some singing acapella or karaoke style to see if people feel a connection. Would that be something you might be interested in?

Very interesting video, I was a little jealous when they confirmed that playing musical instruments are the only thing that lights up the brain like it does because I am one of those who dropped playing instruments. Also I'm sorry to hear that your siblings treated you so badly for being intelligent, it is very unfortunate that you had to go through that.

Did you happen to find any videos on singing? I would be interested to see those as well because I think singing is very powerful. In my experience I have found that singing, combined with listening, is a very powerful way to connect people emotionally. I was thinking about trying to get a group of FDR listeners together to do a group call to do some singing acapella or karaoke style to see if people feel a connection. Would that be something you might be interested in?

I did not find anything on singing. My personal experience is my whole body electrical field seems to come into sharper focus. Kind of like hitting a tuning fork on the side of a plate of iron filings. Have you seen that and how the iron forms shapes according to the tone of the turning fork? Also, I can channel emotional energy like water rushing through a release valve on a dam. 

Just a quick experience I had last night. I was talking to my sister about my dad's physical condition. He is 87 and dying of kidney failure and going on dialysis soon. I was explaining his situation and what to expect and she said something like "oh yeah, you know everything don't you?" We went on talking and she was saying to me that she did not think that it had been decided which treatment plan he was going to have (there are 3). I asked her if she had read the literature that he got from going to a class about dialysis. She had not. I told her I had and also had looked up late stage kidney failure on the internet. So I proceeded to tell her that the treatment plan had been decided whether he wanted to admit it or not based on the preliminary procedure he is scheduled for in a few weeks. I told her exactly what was going to happen and why. She just cut me off and said she had to go pick up her grandson at school. Which she likely did, but normally she would just get in the car and keep talking. 

Anyway the point to the story is that for the first time in my life, after I got off the phone with her, I felt no guilt at my intelligence. She had the same opportunity that I did to investigate the illness and educate herself on the process. She didn't and I did, therefore I know more than she does about it. So when she spoke with sarcasm about my "knowing all about it" I said yes I had looked it up and read everything I could find on it. No guilt. Yippee. First time in my life not feeling guilty about being smarter than her. 

Sorry for the off topic rant but I'm elated. Let me know if you find anything about singing and the brain. 

Oh man this is awesome! I listen to music for like 2 hours a day and play just as much. So that's what's going on in my noggin, eh? Thanks for sharing!

And yeah sorry about your siblings maltreatment over something...that they were probably obviously jealous of. Intelligence, natural ability and memory aren't things to normally be teased for :S

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.