Therapist Recommended I see a psychiatrist

BaylorPRSer

Had my first meeting with a new therapist 2 days ago and I feel very optimistic about our compatibility.  However, she recommended I see a psychiatrist to ascertain if any of my issues are medical.  I'm skeptical about psychiatry, but I'm on the fence about some things.  For example, I was learning about something called Limbic ADD and it seemed to describe me very well.  Apparently, these people respond well to a drug called Wellbutrin.  Optimum functioning is my goal at the moment, not being medication-free, which I currently am.  Interested in everyone's thoughts on psychiatry as well as resources/podcasts on the field and pharmaceuticals.

It doesn't make sense that she's tell you to see a psychiatrist after only one visit.

I'd also abstain from trying to diagnose yourself. Just stick with your experiences and let the conclusions naturally arise.

If you see a psychiatrist, they will prescribe you meds whether you really need them or not.

• Upvote 1

I have huge issues with the current medical system and the way I counter it is that I don't depend on their opinions as my only guide to making choices.

If it were me, I would be on the internet researching everything I could find on whatever you have been diagnosed with. Not so much on what YOU think you have. I would be researching everything I could find on Wellbutrin if that is what was prescribed. I would be looking at WebMD and pharmaceutical advertisements along with articles in alternative publications. I would talk to others who have been on medication. I would talked to those who chose not to use medication. I would talk to those who were once on and are now not on or were off and are now back on. In a nutshell, I would do my own research. 

It is empowering to make your own informed choices. Go to your appointments armed with information and be prepared to ask questions. Listen carefully to the answers. Are they simply spouting the pharmaceutical line or do they actually have specific, empirical results that they can talk about? What are the results? Are their results what you are interested in as a result? Just because there are results does not mean that it is what you are looking for. 

Also, sometimes therapists have to practice CYA and are required by regulations to recommend other consults and treatments. Or at the very least to have documentation evidence that they covered all bases. And if you are not prepared for the psych Dr, you will likely get the Rx whether you need it or not -- though you still have choice about whether to fill it and take it. 

Good luck. Hope this helps and kudos for the therapy. 

She encouraged me to see a psychiatrist as well as have my family come in for therapy; however, she said those weren't musts.  The only must was establishing a support group for dealing with dark thoughts as I didn't have anyone in place to call for those times.  She was concerned for my safety and told me to consider going to a psychiatrist to make sure none of my problems were medical.

I've been diagnosed with ADD and the stimulants DID cause problems, but limbic ADD has a completely different treatment than most forms of ADD.  I hadn't heard about limbic ADD nor was I aware there were different forms of it (aside from the good ole H chromosome) until recently.  

I've cleaned up my diet significantly, but I acknowledge improvements can still be made.  I do exercise regularly.  I'm still not happy with my ability to be happy and present in day-to-day life.  If I have a medical problem, which I think I very well may, I don't think I should swear off drugs if they are necessary for optimum functioning.  However, if it's like an SSRI in that getting off it if I felt the desire is problematic, I'll avoid it.  That's my only hard and fast rule.  If it punishes me for quitting cold turkey, it's a no go.  I need the freedom to get off something.  Welbutrin from what I understand is ok in this area, but I'll be doing more research.  

They'd love for me to call them.  I'm just not sure I want them to be those people for me.  We have a lot of baggage, they're religious, statist, etc.  I honestly have called them before when I was struggling and they've been sympathetic and offered me encouragement; however, there are times when they've said that I need to let god back into my life so they're not super consistent. Usually, they're helpful, but sometimes not.  My brain was producing objections to almost everyone I could think of when she asked who I had that I could call.  I'm sure most of them would feel bad that I didn't view them as people I could call and some of the objections probably weren't rational.  I came up with two people, although it took me a little bit, whom I had no reason not to think they'd be a good fit.  I've already let them know and there on board with being a part of my support system.  

Are you older than 18? If yes then you don't have ADD, or ADHD, or limbic ADD, or whatever. The disease is developmental in origin, you can't still be said to have it if you're an adult. There's no section for adult ADD in any psychiatric literature that I know of, which in of itself is a strong argument against the disorder's existence.

I am older than 18.  

http://www.adhd-health.com/philosophy/adhd-6types-type3-5.php

I have all of these symptoms of limbic ADD.  If Welbutrin will optimize my functioning by mitigating these symptoms, then why shouldn't I be open to it?  I'd rather live life at optimal functionality.  The question that is useful for me personally to answer, isn't whether the disorder exists, but how to manage these issues effectively.  

I am older than 18.  

http://www.adhd-health.com/philosophy/adhd-6types-type3-5.php

I have all of these symptoms of limbic ADD.  If Welbutrin will optimize my functioning by mitigating these symptoms, then why shouldn't I be open to it?  I'd rather live life at optimal functionality.  The question that is useful for me personally to answer, isn't whether the disorder exists, but how to manage these issues effectively.  

ADD is not a valid diagnosis for adults based on what the literature says. Therefore if someone diagnosed you with such a disorder then they're full of shit, again, based on psychiatric practice. Thus no need to cure yourself of a disease you can't have from a psychiatric standpoint using psychiatric medication.

Second, if you have ADD why do you want to take Wellbutrin? Wellbutrin is an antidepressant, not indicated in ADD treatment. 

• Inattentive.
  • Short attention span.
  • Easily distracted.
  • Disorganized loses or misplaces things.
  • Hyperactive.
  • Stuck in negative thoughts or behavior.
  • Worries excessively even over things that are not important.
  • Holds grudges.
  • Inflexible cognitive thinking.
  • Obsessively compulsive about the way things ought to be done.
  • Argumentative and oppositional towards parents. May even seem to enjoy arguing.
  • has to have his/her own way.
  • Task oriented, has trouble shifting attention or from one activity to another.
  • Needs things to remain the same.
  • Often is in families with addiction problems or obsessive-compulsive tendencies.

Inattentive compared to what? Short attention span compared to what? Isn't inattentive another way of saying short attention? Easily distracted compared to what? Isn't short attention another way of saying easily distracted? And so on, though some of the items are actually contradictory, illustrating its intent to act as a catch all.

The entire list is subjective, vague, and can apply to everybody depending on the context. Your willingness to accept this as a diagnosis and the subsequent drugging it would entail indicates you're looking for a quick fix to a problem that has no quick fixes. I'm really sorry that you're experiencing that level of anxiety, but to use that to turn to exacerbating the problem is self-destructive.

Judging by these symptoms:https://board.freedomainradio.com/topic/41375-struggling-with-remaining-present-in-day-to-day-life/You don't need drugs. There's a bunch of unresolved shit, and it sounds like you don't want to get pissed. Fix the problem before you start looking for new ones.

that was a lengthy thread, so I'm not calling you out, but you must not have read it in its entirety if you think I"m not angry.  I'm an exceedingly angry person. 

ADD is not a valid diagnosis for adults based on what the literature says. Therefore if someone diagnosed you with such a disorder then they're full of shit, again, based on psychiatric practice. Thus no need to cure yourself of a disease you can't have from a psychiatric standpoint using psychiatric medication.

Second, if you have ADD why do you want to take Wellbutrin? Wellbutrin is an antidepressant, not indicated in ADD treatment. 

Wellbutrin seems uncannily suited to my needs.  It helps sexual dysfunction, ADD and depression.  A psychiatrist named Daniel Amen was discussing various forms of ADD and when he described Limbic ADD, it sounded like he was describing me.  He recommended Wellbutrin. I did some research and was intrigued enough to explore using it.  I haven't decided one way or another yet.  

I do my best to meditate before work, but I've been having a tough time getting up in time for it despite going to bed pretty early. The bottom line is that if I have a medical problem, then we're not in the same boat.  If there's a medical element to it, then that will only solve part of the problem.  I don't want to give the impression that I view a drug or a brain scan as a substitute for those things, I don't, and I will continue to utilize all of the things you listed.  I meditate probably 3 times a week, do my best to understand philosophy, exercise and clean up my diet.  I was in therapy for 8 months and felt like I wasn't really going anywhere with it, so I took a 5-6 month break and just resumed again.  

Inattentive compared to what? Short attention span compared to what? Isn't inattentive another way of saying short attention? Easily distracted compared to what? Isn't short attention another way of saying easily distracted? And so on, though some of the items are actually contradictory, illustrating its intent to act as a catch all.

The entire list is subjective, vague, and can apply to everybody depending on the context. Your willingness to accept this as a diagnosis and the subsequent drugging it would entail indicates you're looking for a quick fix to a problem that has no quick fixes. I'm really sorry that you're experiencing that level of anxiety, but to use that to turn to exacerbating the problem is self-destructive.

You're right about it being subjective.  I cannot argue with that however:

http://www.amenclinics.com/the-science/spect-gallery/attention-deficit-disorder-addadhd/

Maybe you can debunk this for me then.  It's my understanding that a brain scan can confirm the type of ADD.  A brain scan IS objective.  Where am I wrong

I recommend you get a second opinion from another therapist before doing anything.  While pharmaceutical solutions are not always the most healthy or effective, I would not write them off completely.  Wellbutrin is relatively safe and effective for treating depression and addiction, and I have known some people to do very well with it.  I have not been able to find any studies attempting to measure its effectiveness in combatting limbic ADD, but a psychiatrist may have better information on the subject.  Psychiatrists are often over-eager to prescribe medication, but as long as you understand their incentives, it may be useful to hear what they have to say.  Whatever they recommend, I would ask to see the research on it.

Definitely closely monitor your diet, especially elements that effect brain function (omega balance, hydration, the right kinds of fat, high protein).  The right kind of exercise is important, too; not just that it's regular.  Specifically, variable resistance, muscular confusion, and balance/coordination exercises are beneficial to the nervous system.  Also, over-exertion can be detrimental.

I agree that the list of symptoms is completely subjective.  I could fit just about everyone I know into that box by comparing them to someone else.

that was a lengthy thread, so I'm not calling you out, but you must not have read it in its entirety if you think I"m not angry.  I'm an exceedingly angry person. 

Where did I say I don't think you are angry? I said you don't want to get pissed. In that thread, you said something to the effect of having to approach your parents in a calm manner("I just need to be able to talk calmly about things that piss me off and she makes it kinda tough.")... Why? Anger manifests itself in behavior in a pretty obvious way. Embrace that. Express your frustration and anger by acting frustrated and angry. Again from that thread, it sounds like you choose avoidance and procrastination which leads, rather predictably, to more anger and frustration. They get to calmly abuse you, and fuck with your brain chemically which elicits all kinds of rage from you, but you're just going to let them get away with it by granting them immunity from the consequences of their action. Specifically, your anger.

But it sounds from this thread, you like the drug idea, believe it will help and that's more important than anything else. Go for it. Try weed. But I'm skeptical.

Where did I say I don't think you are angry? I said you don't want to get pissed. In that thread, you said something to the effect of having to approach your parents in a calm manner("I just need to be able to talk calmly about things that piss me off and she makes it kinda tough.")... Why? Anger manifests itself in behavior in a pretty obvious way. Embrace that. Express your frustration and anger by acting frustrated and angry. Again from that thread, it sounds like you choose avoidance and procrastination which leads, rather predictably, to more anger and frustration. They get to calmly abuse you, and fuck with your brain chemically which elicits all kinds of rage from you, but you're just going to let them get away with it by granting them immunity from the consequences of their action. Specifically, your anger.

But it sounds from this thread, you like the drug idea, believe it will help and that's more important than anything else. Go for it. Try weed. But I'm skeptical.

My mom specifically says, no cussing.  When we talk about things, she'll say "I won't discuss this with you if you're going to cuss at me."  This really pisses me off because I feel like I have a legitimate reason to say "fuck that" or "you totally fucked up that time".  I WANT to use strong language at times.  I'm asking for your thoughts on this: do you think I should just let it out and if they say "control yourself" just keep going with it?Is stuff like "I shouldn't have lost my temper that time" self-attack?  Thank you for taking the time man, I really appreciate it.  

I have no idea whether or not I'll use Wellbutrin or any pharmaceutical.  I'm mulling it over currently, that's it.  

I do struggle with marijuana off and on.  I was off it for a solid two months and relapsed.  I was having too hard of a time coping and decided I needed it.  I'm aware I'm self-medicating, but I feel like I'm less of a threat to myself when I do.  I've never substituted weed for self-knowledge (books, journaling, meditation, sentence completion, therapy), but I feel like I need it to get me through certain dark phases.  I don't want to be on it the rest of my life.  I look at it like caffeine when I don't get enough sleep.  Sure good natural sleep is ideal, but sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and don't wake up refreshed in the morning and consciously choose the caffeine. I have plenty of work days that I get through without caffeine perfectly fine.  I can go without the weed for awhile, but when my mind starts scaring me, I find a few evenings of marijuana and self-reflection will help give me some perspective.  Then, when I run out, I quit for awhile.  If my coping techniques don't work when the dark thoughts come back, then I resume for a bit.  I'd estimate that usually I'm ok for 3 weeks, then I manage my thoughts for a week and a half, but then it gets too intense and I resume.  Now, that I have a structured support system in place (call friend, if he doesn't answer call hotline, call friend 2, if he doesn't answer go to hospital) I will give quitting another try.  Do you think marijuana has a time and a place for certain people or are they better off maintaining a bold resolve to not self-medicate?  I'm aware you're not an authority, but these questions are popping in my head at the moment, so I'm asking.  

My mom specifically says, no cussing.  When we talk about things, she'll say "I won't discuss this with you if you're going to cuss at me."  This really pisses me off because I feel like I have a legitimate reason to say "fuck that" or "you totally fucked up that time".  I WANT to use strong language at times.  I'm asking for your thoughts on this: do you think I should just let it out and if they say "control yourself" just keep going with it?Is stuff like "I shouldn't have lost my temper that time" self-attack?  Thank you for taking the time man, I really appreciate it.  

I have no idea whether or not I'll use Wellbutrin or any pharmaceutical.  I'm mulling it over currently, that's it.  

I do struggle with marijuana off and on.  I was off it for a solid two months and relapsed.  I was having too hard of a time coping and decided I needed it.  I'm aware I'm self-medicating, but I feel like I'm less of a threat to myself when I do.  I've never substituted weed for self-knowledge (books, journaling, meditation, sentence completion, therapy), but I feel like I need it to get me through certain dark phases.  I don't want to be on it the rest of my life.  I look at it like caffeine when I don't get enough sleep.  Sure good natural sleep is ideal, but sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and don't wake up refreshed in the morning and consciously choose the caffeine. I have plenty of work days that I get through without caffeine perfectly fine.  I can go without the weed for awhile, but when my mind starts scaring me, I find a few evenings of marijuana and self-reflection will help give me some perspective.  Then, when I run out, I quit for awhile.  If my coping techniques don't work when the dark thoughts come back, then I resume for a bit.  I'd estimate that usually I'm ok for 3 weeks, then I manage my thoughts for a week and a half, but then it gets too intense and I resume.  Now, that I have a structured support system in place (call friend, if he doesn't answer call hotline, call friend 2, if he doesn't answer go to hospital) I will give quitting another try.  Do you think marijuana has a time and a place for certain people or are they better off maintaining a bold resolve to not self-medicate?  I'm aware you're not an authority, but these questions are popping in my head at the moment, so I'm asking.  

You do have a legitimate reason. Yeah, lay it all out. She's not discussing anything with you now, from what I've read. She's dismissing, and deflecting. So, there's nothing to lose? But the rage and strong words aren't for her. Odds are you'll both die with her never feeling the empathy you deserve. Being able to express the rage is for your own benefit. Some people can write a letter and burn it as some "letting it go" ritual, but that's not working. She needs to learn that the result of pissing someone off, is that someone is pissed off.As for self-attacking, that goes with the embracing. There are some times to really get angry. Like when your mom tells you to be calm and controlled because you're mad about her fucking your life up.After it's come out, you can be angry in a more direct and level manner, with strong yet concise language but I see these things happen in stages. That first one is just concentrated rage in vocal format at the appropriate target. All this of course assuming you don't have any overwhelming violent tendencies. But you're feeling, she's not. The feeling has to be present and if you don't bring it to the table, how can she eat it?

The (good?) thing about marijuana is that it's practically nothing. It's like 2? 3? drinks in terms of mind-alteration, maybe even less of an impact than a strong batin' sesh. If it's genuinely causing a drain, then obviously, it needs to be cut down. You already know all this and you know it's a substitute for actually feeling better. Which means you also know it's got to be something you're not doing. Like I mentioned in a thread about alcoholism, it tends to work itself out when other things get fixed. When you resolve all this, you probably won't have any desire for marijuana or drugs. I think you're OK doing what you've got to in order to get by. You've got the awareness. Be proud of that.

I've seen people frozen from not being able to confront their parents. It's pretty powerful. And a big problem is being disregarded when you know damn well they got something coming. This calm shit is overrated. A girl I know was always confrontational when she was abused and now she's on her way to a better life after some help and awareness. Her brother was and is totally passive and at 8-9 years older, nowhere near as well as she is. Smokes, drinks, no ambition. Just hopeless. Pulls the 'did the best they could' schtick like, daily.

None of us here are doctors or psychiatrist (I think), but for what it's worth, it seems very reasonable to me to make sure that there's no physiological reason for certain problems. For one thing, it would only waste time to try and cure a physiological problem with talk therapy (can't talk away a bacterial infection for instance) so if there's a possibility that some of your issues are physiological then it would certainly make sense to check that out. Also that, once you know what and what isn't physiological in origin you can then rest assured that the talk therapy actually treats the right problems.

Edit: Certainly nothing lost to go for an appointment. Also that way, you can ask the psychiatrist directly to show or reference you some studies that prove that the drug works and that there's indeed a clear physiological test they can do etc.

You do have a legitimate reason. Yeah, lay it all out. She's not discussing anything with you now, from what I've read. She's dismissing, and deflecting. So, there's nothing to lose? But the rage and strong words aren't for her. Odds are you'll both die with her never feeling the empathy you deserve. Being able to express the rage is for your own benefit. Some people can write a letter and burn it as some "letting it go" ritual, but that's not working. She needs to learn that the result of pissing someone off, is that someone is pissed off.As for self-attacking, that goes with the embracing. There are some times to really get angry. Like when your mom tells you to be calm and controlled because you're mad about her fucking your life up.After it's come out, you can be angry in a more direct and level manner, with strong yet concise language but I see these things happen in stages. That first one is just concentrated rage in vocal format at the appropriate target. All this of course assuming you don't have any overwhelming violent tendencies. But you're feeling, she's not. The feeling has to be present and if you don't bring it to the table, how can she eat it?

The (good?) thing about marijuana is that it's practically nothing. It's like 2? 3? drinks in terms of mind-alteration, maybe even less of an impact than a strong batin' sesh. If it's genuinely causing a drain, then obviously, it needs to be cut down. You already know all this and you know it's a substitute for actually feeling better. Which means you also know it's got to be something you're not doing. Like I mentioned in a thread about alcoholism, it tends to work itself out when other things get fixed. When you resolve all this, you probably won't have any desire for marijuana or drugs. I think you're OK doing what you've got to in order to get by. You've got the awareness. Be proud of that.

I've seen people frozen from not being able to confront their parents. It's pretty powerful. And a big problem is being disregarded when you know damn well they got something coming. This calm shit is overrated. A girl I know was always confrontational when she was abused and now she's on her way to a better life after some help and awareness. Her brother was and is totally passive and at 8-9 years older, nowhere near as well as she is. Smokes, drinks, no ambition. Just hopeless. Pulls the 'did the best they could' schtick like, daily.

I'll be informing her shortly that I have no intention of censoring myself in the future when I feel rage.  Thank you

None of us here are doctors or psychiatrist (I think), but for what it's worth, it seems very reasonable to me to make sure that there's no physiological reason for certain problems. For one thing, it would only waste time to try and cure a physiological problem with talk therapy (can't talk away a bacterial infection for instance) so if there's a possibility that some of your issues are physiological then it would certainly make sense to check that out. Also that, once you know what and what isn't physiological in origin you can then rest assured that the talk therapy actually treats the right problems.

Edit: Certainly nothing lost to go for an appointment. Also that way, you can ask the psychiatrist directly to show or reference you some studies that prove that the drug works and that there's indeed a clear physiological test they can do etc.

Thank you.  That seems to be the sensible approach to me as well.  I will think about this a little longer, but I think I'm going to at least set up an appointment.  

I'll be informing her shortly that I have no intention of censoring myself in the future when I feel rage.  Thank you

Thank you.  That seems to be the sensible approach to me as well.  I will think about this a little longer, but I think I'm going to at least set up an appointment.  

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hold on there. 

Slow down, buddy. Let's talk via pm.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.