Send them weapons or teachers?

Pleiades

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/s526x296/10730794_821856857837106_4201167815831170712_n.jpg?oh=8dc30507c82bd92d9db95ec39467ef5a&oe=54F24B4F

So, I get the point of this, but aren't some of the Muslim extremists (the Boco Harem come to mind) against western education? They did set fire, shoot in the back, and slit the throats of several hundred school boys, as well as kidnap over 200 school girls and force them to become wives to members of their group and rape them constantly. This was to prevent them from getting a Western Education, and forcibly convert them to their brand of religion.

I fear if we do send teachers, they will kill them. Anyone care to share some thoughts on this?

"The best way to fight terrorism is to invest in education. Instead of sending weapons, send teachers."

Who said this? How do they know? Invest how? Education in what? Who should send teachers? Teachers of what? It's non-specific, sophist nonsense.

Don't let yourself get sucked in by this. I noticed your post had a lot of they/we in it.

Weapons versus teachers is false dichotomy, is it not? How about we send them nothing unless it involves a legitimate trade? If Muslims want to be freer, let them use the internet to find philosophy like the rest of humanity does.

I just started listening to Molyneux's reading of DeMause's The Origins of War in Child Abuse and the first chapter discusses how Islamic suicide bombers are hand-picked and groomed by their mothers to kill themselves for the glory of Allah. If anything, we should be sending them better mothers. 

"The best way to fight terrorism is to invest in education. Instead of sending weapons, send teachers."

Who said this? How do they know? Invest how? Education in what? Who should send teachers? Teachers of what? It's non-specific, sophist nonsense.

Don't let yourself get sucked in by this. I noticed your post had a lot of they/we in it.

So some of the "they's" referred to radical Muslim groups which have been murdering people for pursuing Western educations (Boco Harem comes to mind).

Then there were also some mention of their victims. Which is another part of the "they". Does this clarify?

I really disagree with the sentiment of the message. Sending Western teachers to people who are killing students of Western teaching is only going to get more people killed.

... Islamic suicide bombers are hand-picked and groomed by their mothers to kill themselves for the glory of Allah... 

Wow, I was not aware. Thank you for sharing that with me. It's a very powerful bit of information.

I fear if we do send teachers, they will kill them. Anyone care to share some thoughts on this?

The way I understand the argument is they must be punished for being "bad" or they must be lectured by teachers that know what's best for them.

That's a remarkably paternalistic way to talk about a group of people.

The way I understand the argument is they must be punished for being "bad" or they must be lectured by teachers that know what's best for them.

That's a remarkably paternalistic way to talk about a group of people.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nickxenol

There will always be ignorant people that will reject any other thoughts that conflict with their own. This is obviously the case with the Islamic State, al-Qaeda, Boko Haram and even some governments such as the Syrian government or the Iranian government (there is more but these governments are just examples). However, I believe that Yousafzai is trying to promote secularism in which secular governments for the Middle East would be a good thing (instead of a Shia-dominated government in Iraq for example).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.