Why you shouldn't donate to food banks

lifegoesonbrah

I worked as a policy advocate for a year at a food bank council, a dark time in my life. My job was to advocate for policies that promoted various social food programs, SNAP, WIC, TEFAP, etc etc etc... It was such a huge relief to leave this job behind as it was morally repulsive to me. I want to offer some advice when donating to food banks.

A large majority of food banks pursue several federal grants which are granted to those organizations that wish to promote and advocate for federal food assistance programs, which always seemed silly to me to promote government services that essentially make food banks irrelevant. It is the same as a private sector company promoting it's competitions superior products. The reason that food banks do this is because these grants provide huge funding resources that pay for staffing, equipment, marketing, and basically any aspect of the organization that any competent employee can justify in the grant application. These grants are usually matching grants, meaning that the organization would match the federal funds applied for. At my organization, the grants would always be matched by donors or private sector grants. The private sector grants always came from large grocers, particularly Wal-Mart. I probably don't have to explain here why Wal-Mart would be interested in helping to support and promote programs like WIC and SNAP (food stamps).

So basically when you donate to food banks, your money is going towards promoting federal programs.

There is also TEFAP grants, which are also federal grants. To simplify a little, these grants are through the USDA in which the feds by large quantities of produce. They buy this produce where they deem necessary to adjust market prices. By purchasing large quantities of a produce, they are price setters because they are increasing demand in a particular market. Anyways, this bulk produce is given, or sold at a low rate, to food banks.The food banks then take this product and sell them to food pantries (usually churches) at a higher rate so the food bank can cover organization costs.

So, if you want to donate to feed the needy and want to get the biggest bang for your buck, it is best to donate to food pantries at the lowest level. These organizations are generally small, more efficient, made up of volunteers, and the money donated actually goes towards purchasing food from the food banks to be supplied directly at food drives.

I will not be donating any money to the charity food sector because of all of the government feeding programs. Food banks cannot release full listings of food drives to clients because a lot of them take advantage and will hit several food drives per week. They will get all of the food they need from the food pantries and sell their government benefits. This doesn't go for all people of course, some are generally in need.

I Just thought I would share my thoughts and point out that food banks have been taken over by the government. These are not free market entities as they are portrayed. thanks for reading!

• Upvote 4

The best food bank you could support is your own. Canned food, while usually processed and full of preservatives, lasts well past the date on the side of the can. It would behoove everyone to take an extra room in the house or use the basement and fill some shelves full of canned food - the more calories, the better. Mason jars are also a great way to store homemade foods. If and when people become truly needy, you'll be able to help yourself and others with a helpful stockpile of food. Keeping clean water jugs is also a must.

Thanks for the insights.

• Upvote 1

There is also the fact that food banks cover up a problem, not solve it! Why do these people need food?

Here is an example I encountered as a child (I was 10 or so) there was this family within our town. They were on welfare, cheating the system of course, (not sure how many cheques they were bringing in), The father kept the money for himself, the kids and his wife were barely fed, or clothed. He had a brand new bike and truck every year, ate every meal out, etc....

Now the family "functioned" and few questions were asked largely b/c they were able to get food and clothing from these social programs, and "appear" relatively OK.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.