Charging For Meet and Greets

MysterionMuffles

I don't think it's a moral thing or not, more like aesthetics, but what are your thoughts on rock bands charging their fans for meet and greets?

ROU: ...are there not a plethora of tried and tested ways to organize free M&Gs? For instance, the first 100 in line for the show? Or in-store signing sessions where fans get their purchases signed? Ticket raffles? Social media coordinated events? Even if a band wants to charge, why not give the money to charity, instead of giving yourself a handsome bonus for simply meeting fans. Even bankers who get their colossal bonuses have worked for it (well, worked–lobbied–gambled–manipulated–cheated–stole for it, same thing).

Even if a band wants to charge, why not give the money to charity, instead of giving yourself a handsome bonus for simply meeting fans.

The premise here is that the consumers of a product own the time of the producers of that product, which is false. It's also self-contradictory for the author to use their own property to try and use the property of others in a way they didn't consent to.

It's a big pet peeve of mine how much people focus on people instead of ideas. Celebrity worship is another way of avoiding self-knowledge while perpetuating the myth that people exist in different moral categories.

Anyways, if somebody thinks that X money for Y product/service is not for them, they can abstain. If the market agrees with them, Y will have to go for a lower price or not be consumed. People can charge for whatever they want as long as nobody is forced to oblige them.

You cant sell albums anymore artists are having to come up with new ways of creaating value so they can continue making a living.The music industry is in shambles and new buisness models are being tested all the time. I dont see any problem with meet n greets as long as their is some perceived value to the customer. If the artist fails to do so then people will not purchase. One way to do it is to offer a a meet n greet along with a intimate acoustic session with q&A. I would pay extra for that.

" A fool and his money are some party."

If people are willing to wait for hours to glimpse a rock band, obviously there is value that can be traded for access. Why not?

People want to hang with the rockers because some of that success might rub off onto them, or to impress EGGS!

I don't see an issue with it as long as the fans know what they are paying for and don't feel mislead. It seems similar to collector's edition DVDs that have "extras" on them.  I usually don't spend money on that but some people really like that stuff, which is fine. Sounds like win-win to me.

How much contempt do "celebrities" have for their fans? That can be measured. How much are they charging for a meet and greet?

I don't think there is a connection between charging a fee in a voluntary trade and contempt for the other party in that trade. Could you elaborate on that?

I dont particularly see the problem with it. I think it's probably counter productive though but what do I know about making fans fall in love with your bans. If Steph had a pay model for the business of FDR I am certain I would pay for the shows but I dont think I would pay for the meet and greet.

I don't think there is a connection between charging a fee in a voluntary trade and contempt for the other party in that trade. Could you elaborate on that?

There is nothing wrong with it.  There may not even be a connection.  It's just so....ughh..."anti-rock n' roll."

Contempt might be too strong of a word. I can't think of a lesser/better word to describe pretending to be in a social situation while in reality acting for an economic incentive, if that makes any sense.

Perhaps this is a tangent, but I will throw it out there. In this voluntary trade, precisely what is being sold?

Contempt might be too strong of a word. I can't think of a lesser/better word to describe pretending to be in a social situation while in reality acting for an economic incentive, if that makes any sense.

Perhaps this is a tangent, but I will throw it out there. In this voluntary trade, precisely what is being sold?

nothing but time to talk to people

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.