Would you rather be deaf or philosophical?

Jot

Most people around here must be avid podcast listeners so I bet you are using headphones a lot...so am I, but I have been wondering under what circumstances listening to headphones causes irreversible hearing damage. From my research I have found that any sound louder than 70db might cause hearing damage if you are exposed to it for too long of a time.

1.My question is how can I know how loud the volume on my phone is? 

2.Do headphones still affect your hearing regardless of the volume at which you are listening?

3.If not I don't understand the 60:60 rule("As a rule of thumb, you should only use MP3 devices at levels up to 60% of maximum volume for a total of 60 minutes a day," says Dr. Foy. "The louder the volume, the shorter your duration should be. At maximum volume, you should listen for only about five minutes a day.")

The problem is that MP3 play at maximum of 100-110db. so 60% would mean approx 60 db which from what I've seen is not considered a damaging volume (Normal talking is 40 dB to 60 dB) so why then only 60 minutes a DAY?? And this rule seem to contradict this : 

• At 95 dB, damage will occur after four hours of exposure per day.
  • At 100 dB, damage will occur after two hours of exposure per day.
  • At 105 dB, damage will occur after one hour of exposure per day.
  • At 110 dB, damage will occur after 30 minutes of exposure per day.
  • At 115 dB, damage will occur after 15 minutes of exposure per day.
  • At 120-plus dB, damage occurs almost immediately.

It doesn't make any sense to me guys...

I have sensitive hearing. I always play everything as quietly as I can. If I'm mowing the lawn or using power tools, I use hearing protection. I often have my hand on the volume controls if I'm watching a movie or something since Hollywood seems to think that we don't need to hear plot-driving dialogue, but they'll be damned if they don't shove every single shard of a glass break down our ears.

If potential hearing loss is a concern, you should do the same. When you're playing whatever it is you're playing, bump the volume down a notch. If you can still understand everything, bump it down another notch. Go slowly so your ears have a chance to adjust. The quieter the ambient, the lower volume you will need. This is part of the reason why I've stopped listening to an MP3 player while mowing the lawn.

• Upvote 1

I have sensitive hearing. I always play everything as quietly as I can. If I'm mowing the lawn or using power tools, I use hearing protection. I often have my hand on the volume controls if I'm watching a movie or something since Hollywood seems to think that we don't need to hear plot-driving dialogue, but they'll be damned if they don't shove every single shard of a glass break down our ears.

If potential hearing loss is a concern, you should do the same. When you're playing whatever it is you're playing, bump the volume down a notch. If you can still understand everything, bump it down another notch. Go slowly so your ears have a chance to adjust. The quieter the ambient, the lower volume you will need. This is part of the reason why I've stopped listening to an MP3 player while mowing the lawn.

That's what I will do thank you...though I am not a native speaker so there are certain words and expressions I won't understand at a low volume.

To answer the question in the title philosophical all the way. But I wouldn't know the benefits of being philosophical before making that call before hand. XD

Do you mean the call you had with Stef? Could you reference me to it?

By the way a response to my questions would be greatly appreciated. 

Im not referring to that call specifically im more talking about all I've learned from philosophy. 

My call was this one: 

By the way the singing I thought was horrible.

As far as your question about the hearing stuff that is best answered by a doctor. Cant offer anything philosophical about it.

I would much rather have philosophy over my hearing though. 

It's loud at work, so I blast philosophy into my ears at full volume about 10 hours a day.

I could use noise suppressing earbuds, but I need to hear if there is a problem with the machinery.

Even with hearing loss, I understand what I am hearing much better with a solid philosophy to back it up.

The best defense against hearing damage is a good pair of over-ear headphones.  I use Bose QC3 over-ear headphones.  This allows me to play the audio at a low volume while still hearing it distinctly.  The Bose are a bit of an investment, so if you can't spend $300 on a pair of headphones, Bose makes another model that has good insulation, without the electronic noise canceling, for about half the price.  Sony and Audio-Technica also make some decent products for an even lower price.

Having said that, I would answer the post title with a resounding, "philosophy all the way!"  They're doing amazing thing with cochlear implants nowadays. ;)

I’ll choose both.

This topic reminds of the advertisements I’d see in subway cars, here in New York City. “Hear today. Gone tomorrow.” is the meme juxtaposed with two photos; one with a female listening to her ear-phones, and another with the same person, but now wearing a hearing aid. Below that it says, “Turn down your music before you can’t hear it anymore. People who use headphones report twice as many hearing problems."

I listen to my music with full enjoyment and as loud as I feel at the moment. I am completely arbitrary when it comes to volume, although I’m aware of the possibility of my hearing going by the wayside in my later years.

Besides, I grew up going to night-parties with huge speakers that produced extremely loud chest-thumping music (you can feel your sternum vibrate) and my hearing is still pristine.

I’ll choose both.

This topic reminds of the advertisements I’d see in subway cars, here in New York City. “Hear today. Gone tomorrow.” is the meme juxtaposed with two photos; one with a female listening to her ear-phones, and another with the same person, but now wearing a hearing aid. Below that it says, “Turn down your music before you can’t hear it anymore. People who use headphones report twice as many hearing problems."

I listen to my music with full enjoyment and as loud as I feel at the moment. I am completely arbitrary when it comes to volume, although I’m aware of the possibility of my hearing going by the wayside in my later years.

Besides, I grew up going to night-parties with huge speakers that produced extremely loud chest-thumping music (you can feel your sternum vibrate) and my hearing is still pristine.

I am jealous of you. 

After listening to music set fairly high (~70%) for an extended period there is definitely a deafening sensation, but having it set to 50% or below for hours produces no similar feeling. Is the damage still occurring? I don't know. You'd think our ears evolved to withstand some degree of constant sound bombardment.

Sense degradation is inevitable nonetheless, though not impossible to repair.

Unfortunately those of us in the toiling in Inner Circle concentration camp have no control over the ceaseless tannoy blasting Stef's hate-filled sermons of misogyny and white male privilege at 100db.  But ears will be of no use when our souls become one with the Divine Light, so it is not a burden, but a gift!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.