My father once told me, "In my opinion, there's no such thing as a pro-war movie."  He never swallowed the red pill, but that's one area where I think he's right.  Films such as Saving Private Ryan and The Best Years of Our Lives remain two of my favorites because they heavily criticize state action and its effects when viewed rationally.  Now I can add Fury to that list.

The film chronicles the downward spiral of a good-natured recruit (Logan Lerman) into a violent, indoctrinated pawn, even earning the nickname "Machine" near the climax.  It becomes clear just how lost Brad Pitt's character is when, on the verge of tears, he refers to their tank as his home.  Even if the protagonists win the day, they're already dead.

Anyone else see it?  What were some of your favorite moments?

• Upvote 1

I disagree.

Most war-related media is pro-war (be it movies, tv-shows, games, etc). They portray regular people surrounded by impossible odds that persevere through the power of courage, self-sacrifice and uhm... the american way. The soldiers are heroes of such caliber that epic legends will be written about them, in the form of high budgeted blockbusters. And who doesn't want to be a hero?

Catch-22 is probably the most accurate portrayal of WW2 you will ever find. It's the funniest thing I have ever read but the catch is it's absolutely grounded in reality. It stops being funny when you picture yourself as one of the characters. Here's a quote: "The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on, and that includes Colonel Cathcart. And don't you forget that, because the longer you remember it, the longer you might live." It's ok to tell the truth if you make it funny, I guess.

Another great piece of anti-war propaganda is the game Spec Ops: The Line. Much how the Call of Duty series the best recruitment ad ever made, Spec Ops: The Line is the exact antithesis of that. It's sold as just another war shooter but by the end you thank your lucky stars it's just a game.

I enjoy a war movie as much as the next guy but so does "the enemy". And of course "the enemy" has to be portrayed always as evil. It's seldom men against men, it's usually men against evil men with no exceptions. Remember in Fury how much they established that germans killed women and children? Check out this speech from the ending of the war drama Band of Brothers. The enemy is told the exact same things we are told.

• Upvote 2

Catch-22 is probably the most accurate portrayal of WW2 you will ever find. It's the funniest thing I have ever read but the catch is it's absolutely grounded in reality. It stops being funny when you picture yourself as one of the characters. Here's a quote: "The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on, and that includes Colonel Cathcart. And don't you forget that, because the longer you remember it, the longer you might live." It's ok to tell the truth if you make it funny, I guess.

Great book, I still own a copy. I keep forgetting it was adapted for the screen. Thank you for reminding me!

I didn't know there was a film adaptation, but I greatly enjoyed the book Catch 22.  I'll be sure to check out the film!

In my opinion, it's a mixed bag, but I would say most war films are overall pro-war.  There are some notable exceptions (Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, All Quiet On The Western Front, etc.), but even amongst these there is a bias regarding the specific conflict they are depicting.  Very few films succeed in delivering an anti-war message as a universality.

I'm looking forward to seeing Fury. Based on the premise, it seems like it might be one of those rare few with an accurate and consistent message regarding the nature of war.

I didn't know there was a film adaptation, but I greatly enjoyed the book Catch 22.  I'll be sure to check out the film!

In my opinion, it's a mixed bag, but I would say most war films are overall pro-war.  There are some notable exceptions (Apocalypse Now, Full Metal Jacket, All Quiet On The Western Front, etc.), but even amongst these there is a bias regarding the specific conflict they are depicting.  Very few films succeed in delivering an anti-war message as a universality.

I'm looking forward to seeing Fury. Based on the premise, it seems like it might be one of those rare few with an accurate and consistent message regarding the nature of war.

I would add Jarhead to that list, it is just about being indoctrinating into wanting to kill someone.  I thought Hurt Locker was full of propaganda though.  

Grave of the Fireflies hits hard, for sure.  Two other anime pieces worth checking out are Gundam 0080 and an 08th MS Team episode, "Duty and Ideals."  The series as a whole is worth seeing, too, but that episode is especially stirring.

Yes, few (if any) films overtly condemn war itself; my point was that freethinking, ethically consistent viewers can nevertheless gain value from (though not necessarily enjoy) them.  I used to appreciate Saving Private Ryan for entirely different reasons than I do now.

Thanks for the recommendations, all.  Catch-22 has been in my mental backlog for some time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.