Judgements based on Appearance

hannahbanana

I've been thinking about this for a bit now, and I'm interested in how much we rely on physical appearance in making judgements on people (usually playing a role in whether we want to associate with such a person). I find this particularly interesting because this forum is an example where people do not have much opportunity to make such an assessment of someone's appearance. And yet, we still feel that we can get to know someone or recognize peoples' personalities and such on this forum.

So, is appearance necessary, or unnecessary but helpful when evaluating a person? Based on this, how much sway does appearance hold over you in your final impression of a person?

*edit: I meant to post this in the Philosophy section, not sure how I accidentally ended up here...oops! Anyway, I'll repost this to the appropriate section

I think appearance does not matter. Content is all that is important.

For strangers you get social queues based on appearances which are good for short term guesses on a persons character and intentions - but its a terrible idea to hold a lasting idea based on appearance alone. 

Example: If someone shows up to a job interview without a suit when a suit is expected, it matters for that job interview because the person is showing they are unaware of social expectations which is unacceptable when human co-operation is needed. Exceptions granted for socially retarded geniuses of course. 

Long term - it only matters that you look healthy and that you do not appear to be a threat.

When I was a hiring manager, appearance was an important element of deciding who to say "no" to. Appearance in an interview reflects on the judgement and preparation of the candidate. Did they do their research? Did they set the stage to talk about capabilities instead of "style over substance"? What kind of manager would I be if the clothes impressed me and not the capabilities of the candidate?

Honestly, the same thing goes for dating.

I am glad this topic has been raised.  I went to a therapist once when I was in my 20s (many years ago).  He was probably in his 60s and was well dressed in a dark suit, maybe with a tie. We sat in chairs facing each other, he crossed his legs to support the tablet he was about use for notes and when he did, his slacks hiked up from his ankles exposing his socks.  The socks were full of holes.  Like, a LOT of holes.  Moth eaten or sommething. 

I could think of nothing else.  Is this a test?  Is he waiting to see if I comment?  Can he not afford a new pair of socks?  If not, why am I seeing such a lousy therapist?  Does he dress in the dark?  Am I being shallow for noticing and caring about this guy's dress socks that look like they were used for target practice?

I never went back.  Too harsh?

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I don't think it was too harsh. For one, you can go to who you want no matter the reason for counseling. But. I think, or would also say his appearance is a factor, even if subconsciously because we come from tribe roots when we were humping in the night trying to avoid the big tigers and eat, as well as get along so we can survive. If we were too different we wouldn't have been accepted in the tribe or would have been thrown out or killed or something. This makes me think part of it is biological almost in wondering why someone would be so different in appearance. This is just my theory that is based on nothing but pondering over many years while hunting, etc,.

If he can't notice the holes in his socks, or didn't care enough to try to fit into social norms, I'd at the least be worried he didn't pay attention to details which would or could affect my counseling and learning from him. I may not feel this way, but I don't think it's wrong to feel this way either. 

Interesting for sure. I think looks matter a bit. If you're so different that it brings attention to you, then you must be wanting this even if it's not consciously. I try to be myself, but at the same time I don't want to shock anyone into rejecting me out of hand. This I think is very normal. 

I have long hair, but I keep it very clean and pulled back into a pony tail. It's not extremely long, but I grew up playing music in bands, and such. I also grew up in the 70's and 80's as a young man (now 53) and this had an effect I guess in that it was starting to be accepted, and I wanted to be a rebel and wasn't as self aware as I am now. I think younger folks tend to be more rebels as this is supposed to be an accepted practice and it comes from trying to see who we are as individuals and different ourselves from our parents and such. I need a proper adult hair cut, but now it's just been such a thing I've always worn that I'd feel uncomfortable probably, but will cut it short soon. I'm not trying to impress anyone though, but I think it's at least accepted that someone my age my have long hair. I hope that's the case. If not, no one has said it's not too me or I should say, not many that are friends or relatives have said so. Not the one's I care about at least. :-) 

I think it's probably more accepted now to be different a little in todays day and age, but I notice kids now with loads of tattoo's, piercings, etc, (some / small minority), seem to want to shock others. I don't care, but I do find it somewhat shocking which I think sometimes is what they are looking for, but if they treat me well, I'll do the same, and I try not to judge their capacity or mental ability until I really learn it from them, and I try to treat everyone respectfully until they treat me otherwise. The so called golden rule I guess.  

They (those being really different) may not get along in society, and that's what being too much different can do to you. I know many have told me later that they were told I must be a druggie because I have long hair. Which is funny as I don't do any drugs illegally, and don't drink. 

Great topic. 

Tim

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am glad this topic has been raised.  I went to a therapist once when I was in my 20s (many years ago).  He was probably in his 60s and was well dressed in a dark suit, maybe with a tie. We sat in chairs facing each other, he crossed his legs to support the tablet he was about use for notes and when he did, his slacks hiked up from his ankles exposing his socks.  The socks were full of holes.  Like, a LOT of holes.  Moth eaten or sommething. 

I could think of nothing else.  Is this a test?  Is he waiting to see if I comment?  Can he not afford a new pair of socks?  If not, why am I seeing such a lousy therapist?  Does he dress in the dark?  Am I being shallow for noticing and caring about this guy's dress socks that look like they were used for target practice?

I never went back.  Too harsh?

Regardless of your intellectual stance on it, your subconscious makes judgements based on appearance all the time.  Often this is to our benefit, sometimes it is not.  The book "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell goes into this in depth and is a really enjoyable read.

:thumbsup:  Authentic answer!!! ...which comes from with-in not as the result of rational thinking/education/indoctrination/intellectual stance, but from true introspection. "all the time" is no mere hyperbole and cannot be over-stressed. E.G. computer science is still way behind the human ability to read the myriad of facial muscle configurations and judge the associated emotional communication. 

But why do you say that it is subconscious and not fully conscious judgments that just happen to be made incredibly fast?

• 2 weeks later...

Regardless of your intellectual stance on it, your subconscious makes judgements based on appearance all the time.  Often this is to our benefit, sometimes it is not.  The book "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell goes into this in depth and is a really enjoyable read.

I agree. From an evolutionary standpoint, humans relied on their abilities to immediately judge surroundings and situations as a matter of survival. I think our instinctive judgements of people based on appearance are a side-effect of this ancient survival technique.

However I believe that philosophically, these immediate judgements should hold no water until they've been confirmed through behavior. So it's one of the aspects about humans that is naturally at odds with what is logical.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.