MVP Donators

Leevan

We all know how Stefan depends on donations. Our contributions are roughly revealed via the bronze-p.k. ranks. How would ya'll feel about a more personilized, public appreciation via FDR and Stefan? I know he doesn't do advertising, which I appreciate, but what if, like, he dedicated shows to those who recently donated a significant amount? Would you like something like that? Would it encourage you to give more?

• Upvote 2

It wouldn't encourage me to give more. I do not donate in order to get special treatment from FDR; I can get pretty much all the content I want for free. But that is just me, I'm sure that some others would like a little extra incentive to donate. I do think that offering some sort of priority to donators, to help beat the quite extensive queue for the call-in show, would be a good idea. I don't know, maybe this already happens, but I haven't heard of it as yet.

• Upvote 1

I tend to agree with Daniel.  I have been listening recently to older podcasts from around 2010, and the site was much smaller and the call-in shows were much more interactive and the people involved seemed to be more philosophical/educated.  I think there is definitely a place for shows like this to take place, and that old format shouldn't be totally abandoned for a scheduled set of calls each week.  But it's his show and he knows what the people are demanding, not me.  And furthermore, the calls that tend to impact me the most are from people who probably wouldn't be able to afford the $500+ per year to be Philosopher Kings, so I don't feel any urgency to have my questions and concerns take precedence over theirs.

I also am not a fan of preaching on the hill, so to speak.  I think self-knowledge and philosophy are their own reward.  Seek not reward and recognition, but only virtue.  If people are motivated by recognition, and then that desire is rewarded, it feels like Stef would be fulfilling their vanity not their dedication to principles and virtue, and that just seems aesthetically unappealing to me.

I tend to agree with Daniel.  I have been listening recently to older podcasts from around 2010, and the site was much smaller and the call-in shows were much more interactive and the people involved seemed to be more philosophical/educated.  I think there is definitely a place for shows like this to take place, and that old format shouldn't be totally abandoned for a scheduled set of calls each week.  But it's his show and he knows what the people are demanding, not me.  And furthermore, the calls that tend to impact me the most are from people who probably wouldn't be able to afford the $500+ per year to be Philosopher Kings, so I don't feel any urgency to have my questions and concerns take precedence over theirs.

I also am not a fan of preaching on the hill, so to speak.  I think self-knowledge and philosophy are their own reward.  Seek not reward and recognition, but only virtue.  If people are motivated by recognition, and then that desire is rewarded, it feels like Stef would be fulfilling their vanity not their dedication to principles and virtue, and that just seems aesthetically unappealing to me.

Agree with this 100%.  You expressed it more eloquently than I ever could. 

I'm not sure how this is different from the current bronze, silver, gold, philosopher king levels of donations. You get additional and different stuff depending on your level of contribution and it is clearly displayed at what level, if any, that you donate. And I chime in with Daniel and MMX, I am not motivated by these things. They are nice and i sometimes wonder what the philosopher king files contain, but I donate at the level I choose based on what I consume and the state of my finances. The content is the reward. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.