Gendered philosphy stereotyping...barf

Came across this gem: https://feministphilosophers.wordpress.com/gendered-conference-campaign/

I think I need another hobby, coming across this stuff hurts my brain.

Gendered Conference Campaign December 10, 2009

The Gendered Conference Campaign aims to raise awareness of the prevalence of all-male* conferences (and volumes, and summer schools), of the harm that they do. We make no claims whatsoever about the causes of such conferences: our focus is on their existence and effects. We are therefore not in the business of blaming conference organisers, and not interested (here, anyway) in discussions of blameworthiness. Instead, we are interested in drawing attention to this systematic phenomenon. (We also have an awesome theme song. And an interview about the theme song can be found here.)

The harms: All-male events and volumes help to perpetuate the stereotyping of philosophy as male. This in turn to contributes to implicit bias against women in philosophy, which very likely leads even those genuinely committed to gender equality to evaluate women’s contributions as less good than men’s. (It may also in some cases be caused by implicit bias, which means that women’s names will leap less easily to mind than men’s, but that is not our topic here.) For a quick discussion, go here. It also perpetuates stereotype threat, which very likely keeps women from performing as well in philosophy as they otherwise would. For some longer discussions, you may want to look atSally Haslanger’s and Jenny Saul’s papers on the topic. (Jenny’s is a download from the right hand side of her page.) We would like these harms to stop, and we think that a significant step toward achieving that is drawing people’s attention to some of their causes.

If a man is successful, it's just because he's a man, knowingly or unkowingly benefitting from an inherently sexist system.

If a woman is successful, it's because she has earned it despite an inherently sexist system.

If a woman is not successful, it's because of the inherently sexist system.

If a man is not successful, it's because he's a loser.

So for women there is a "social safety net", but not for men.  If no one wants a particular woman to speak at their conference, she can appeal to pity and cries of sexism, and everyone will listen and give sympathy, regardless of whether she actually has something interesting or valuable to say.  But there is no such defense for a man whom no one wants to hire.  And no gratitude for any successful male thinkers who bring value to people.  Just more of the same Victorian chivalry bullshit.  Thank you to Karen Straughan for helping me to see this.

If a man is successful, it's just because he's a man, knowingly or unkowingly benefitting from an inherently sexist system.

If a woman is successful, it's because she has earned it despite an inherently sexist system.

If a woman is not successful, it's because of the inherently sexist system.

If a man is not successful, it's because he's a loser.

So for women there is a "social safety net", but not for men.  If no one wants a particular woman to speak at their conference, she can appeal to pity and cries of sexism, and everyone will listen and give sympathy, regardless of whether she actually has something interesting or valuable to say.  But there is no such defense for a man whom no one wants to hire.  And no gratitude for any successful male thinkers who bring value to people.  Just more of the same Victorian chivalry bullshit.  Thank you to Karen Straughan for helping me to see this.

Funny you posted that, I had a Feminist Relative try to use the same total Illogic on me earlier this week, which I promptly shot down in flames with raw facts and logic to such a thorough extent that she reacted not with a counter argument but with pathetic attempts at insulting me, and now that relative will no longer speak to me. :blink: 

(Oh well, Her Loss Not mine)

It's almost funny how Feminists of what I call the "Frothing at the Mouth" Variety do that. :down: 

Of course, what's the most telling, is that instead of making their own all-female philosophy conferences, which would render "the stereotype that philosophy is male" as false, they aim to have all-male conferences shut down. Very philosophical, I must say.

sUrr2HO6so.png

"I say we take off and nuke the entire Patriarchy from orbit. It's the only way to be sure." - Ellen Ripley

I came across this also:

Towards the genderless society: equitable for female wellbeing and male health? 

It is a discussion paper on the health and longevity implications of a genderless society. Some excerpts:

"This discussion is also related the sixth discussion point by Tsuchiya and Williams (2005), on
why the health inequality between the genders may not be an inequity. Because men have more
advantages in socio-economic status and opportunities than women, men’s disadvantage in
lifetime health may be compensated for if we look at their overall well-being. In other words,
Tsuchiya and Williams (2005) assume that a disadvantage in a given sphere of life can be
substituted or compensated for by an advantage in another sphere. On the other hand, Månsdotter
et al., (2004; 2006a) state that this substitutability view clashes with the genderless society since
the latter requires virtual equality of women and men in all important spheres of life and does not
accommodate trade offs across different spheres. How do these two positions relate to each
other?
If women have more advantages in a particular sphere of life and men have more advantages in
another, this will not be regarded as genderless, even if the overall well-being of men and women
across the spheres may be roughly comparable. This is because genderlessness implies that once
genuinely equal opportunities are offered to men and to women, and once the asymmetric value
system is removed, then there is no reason to assume biological sex will have much impact on
what people aspire for in life. Thus, not only opportunities in different spheres of life will be the
same for men and women, so will be the actual choices people make. Furthermore, the argument
that it may not be inequitable that men have a lower ELQ provided this is compensated for in the
socioeconomic domain potentially clashes with more liberal approaches in general. What about
the preferences and choices of these people? Some men may want to have more lifetime health
even if it meant less socio-economic opportunities. Many women actually seem to want to enjoy
more socio-economic status even if it meant poorer lifetime health. The individual dimension of
the gender system means that human identity is very much determined by collective opinions
about “the proper woman” and “the proper man” (Harding, 1986). Could a society be regarded as
equitable, where people are “forced” to live their life under a particular combination of health
prospects and socioeconomic prospects, simply determined by their sex (or for that matter, any
other randomly allocated accident of birth)?

In the genderless society, women and men will participate more or less equally in various spheres
ranging from unpaid childcare to high-level politics. Such a future should also entail that
preferences and what is actually achieved (as a result of free informed choice), is independent of
one’s sex. Hence, once this state is reached, there would be no conflict between the two ethical
positions regarding the substitutability across the domains of well-being. The conflict is hence, if
and how society should act after a commitment towards gender equality but before reaching this
stage; what is the price acceptable in terms of restricting individual freedoms for the purpose of
achieving gender equality of preferences. For now, we leave this as an open issue for a public
debate, and concentrate on the genderless society and possible health trends. "

"A move towards the abolition of gender will most likely involve two strands with contrasting
health implications. The first is the one where women move into spheres that have traditionally
been regarded as male, and as a result, expose themselves to higher levels of health risks. The
second is one where men move into spheres that have traditionally been regarded as female. If
men are to benefit from the lower health risks traditionally enjoyed by women, they will also
have to reduce their labour market activities at the same time
. In this respect, a re-assessment of what constitutes high status masculinity would be good for men’s health, and, to the extent that
this is in line with what women want, it will be good for women’s well-being as well, if not their lifetime health or ELQ. 

The above seems to imply that if we are to achieve equality in ELQ between the sexes any time
soon, this may well involve curbing, or even reducing female ELQ, at least in the developed
world. In the developing world, it may be possible to “soft land” to a point with minimal sex gap
in ELQ without going through a phase where female ELQ needs to diminish. But even then, the
process will probably be associated with reduced growth in female ELQ: it cannot grow faster
than male ELQ for the sex gap to reduce. "

It's an interesting read. I don't really know what to think about it. It might take me a while to regain my faculties.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.