I was just having a little heated argument over Christianity in a Facebook thread (Oh-oh. I know, I know). It was kind of fun. If you're interested and have a little time, here's the link:

Keeping the Christ in Christmas

A little information - The original poster is a feminist liberal, but my beef was not with her. I'm still learning about libertarianism and do not yet feel comfortable arguing about it. My FB user name is Lori Ellis Swank. The one I'm arguing with is Tiger Acuff.

This meme pic was posted as troll bait; she even admits it after Tiger responds. The content of the meme pic is very inflammatory. Among other things, it suggests that religious conservatives do not lift a finger for the needy, which is categorically untrue. Why do you not have a problem with Aimee posting content like this on your Facebook feed?

The full exchange is far too long for me to read.

If I had a Facebook account, I would not want to see poorly thought out messages like this, probably because I'm an atheist and I don't care who gets upset about Christ and Christmas. If it was me posting a meme pic, it would suggest getting rid of Christmas entirely, but I can only oversee what goes on in my own life, not the lives of others, so posting this on Facebook would be almost entirely pointless unless I just wanted to tick people off. It's much simpler to scrap the FB account entirely if that's all it is good for accomplishing.

I'm still learning about libertarianism and do not yet feel comfortable arguing about it.

I can appreciate this approach. I remember a time in my life where I too was in absorb and process mode and not yet ready to effectively withstand sophistry and logical fallacies. That said, I wanted to point out that while you're arguing minutia with somebody more interested in "winning" than determining the truth, you're not absorbing or processing anything useful. Don't let those without self-knowledge mire you down in a war of attrition.

• Downvote 1

This meme pic was posted as troll bait; she even admits it after Tiger responds. The content of the meme pic is very inflammatory. Among other things, it suggests that religious conservatives do not lift a finger for the needy, which is categorically untrue. Why do you not have a problem with Aimee posting content like this on your Facebook feed?

The full exchange is far too long for me to read.

If I had a Facebook account, I would not want to see poorly thought out messages like this, probably because I'm an atheist and I don't care who gets upset about Christ and Christmas. If it was me posting a meme pic, it would suggest getting rid of Christmas entirely, but I can only oversee what goes on in my own life, not the lives of others, so posting this on Facebook would be almost entirely pointless unless I just wanted to tick people off. It's much simpler to scrap the FB account entirely if that's all it is good for accomplishing.

Yeah, you're right. The original post was pretty ridiculous and inflammatory. I guess I honed in on the religious aspect of it rather than the political because I am more familiar with all the religious arguments, although I should have recognized that what it said was patently absurd.

Now where was that part of the Bible that explicitly points out Jesus' birthday...

The bible doesn't give an explicit date, obviously,but religious scholars all agree that, if he even existed, Jesus couldn't have been born in the winter time. Shepherds would not be in the fields in the cold of the winter. Joseph and Mary came to Bethlehem to register in a census, and a census would not have taken place in the winter, a time when temps often dropped below freezing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.