Trailer for "Pan"

shirgall

Well, let's see. Abuse in boarding school, "in this world... or another", "this is not the end of me" song, the explicit "are you insane?" question, "I don't believe in bedtime stories"...

Should I mention the castration implication of cutting the "Peter" out of "Peter Pan" for the title or the joke of mistaking "Pan" for a princess?

Looks like we're in for another ride into fantasy as lunatic asylum.

When these fantasy adventure titles keep popping up again and again, it makes you wonder at the level of extreme alienation in children's lives these days, especially the lives of boys. I recall having an extremely intense emotional reaction to the movie Mio in the Land of Faraway that tells the tale of a  "lonely boy who is transferred from his dull life with his adoptive parents to the land where his real father is the king." (That's from the IMDB plot summary.) It's obvious why children respond so well to negative family topics and the fantasy setting.

Can we please have one movie where the father isn't characterized as a drunk, abuser or a deadbeat, stays home with his children, and nurtures their interests? Maybe then, we will finally have more families trying to model this arrangement.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.