Read 'How (Not) To Acheive Freedom - What Next?

After many months of reading and listening to as much Stefan Molyneux as possible, and experiencing several life altering mind bombs, I incorrectly assumed there were very few ginormous mind bombs left in the FDR arsenal. And than I read 'How Not to Acheive Freedom'. After finishing, I found myself thirsting for the answer to 'How DO We Acheive Freedom'? I gather this is the first in a series on 'Acheiving Freedom', and it appears there is not yet a second volume . I'm a newb, but I think it's safe to assume that Stef proposes possible alternate strategies in pieces over the years. Do any 'FDR vets' have suggestions on some good material I can check out in the vast FDR archives on this topic, "What is the best strategy for us to acheive a free society?"

(Note: A very good video I watched this morning which was related to this topic of adjusting our strategy to converting others in our discussions with statists, was a presentation of Stef's called 'Ending the State in 30 Days" at Freedom Summit 2010.)

First start within yourself. Accepting your own capacity for error, calling things by their proper names, rational thought, self-knowledge, etc... These things go a long way for your own personal values.

The you can influence your immediate surroundings by living your values. This means not initiating the use of force, identifying it in others, and not socializing or otherwise allowing those who support violence the benefit of your company.

Finally, you can familiarize yourself with research regarding psychopathy and aggression in humans and their roots in child abuse. Help spread the word so we can cultivate a generation of people who don't speak the language of aggression. In a couple/few generations, things like the State will be surreal, not unlike class slavery is for us today.

People have already touched on this, but it's really about 'personal freedom'. I'll explain in a sec. In the current state of the world, we just aren't going to see sweeping changes in the social fabric of society. People are literally addicted to statism that they will oppose (probably violently) any opposition to it.

Personal freedom is about having better relationships, families and work life. It's about discovering our true capacity to live as freely as we can with our own personal choices. Relying on the world giving up on statism is a form of psychological slavery, that will likely cause you more harm than good. Looking at it from this perspective makes a lot of sense. Since rationally we are only really concerned with our individual self and those around us.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the helpful input, but what I was really interested in is any specific works (podcasts, presentations, books) in which Stef discusses this alternative approach in detail, if you happen to recall any specifically (which I know may be difficult considering the vast size of the archive). The reason is I always thought academia and politics were good ways to move the ball forward for libertarians, or at least mitigate the State. And if you asked me if it was productive to accept Christian funding, I may have agreed. Now I see error in spending time/effort/resources towards these things, and also error in the way in which I am discussing liberty with others. I have gathered some important pieces to the alternative approach (many described above) while listening these many months, was just wondering if there was a piece or two out there in the archive or on youtube, one of the books, in which Stef outlines the big picture, "how do we get from here, to there" and similarly "what are the reasons the approach  would be effective"?. Or maybe I will call in and ask, but didn't want him to repeat himself if this is something that has been covered many times over the years (or maybe even fairly recently considering I'm not able to listen to 100% of all FDR material daily, I may have missed it).

Good that you posted on the board about this. This is really the heart of FDR, which doesn't mean it's a hard concept to understand... but it will take a lot of dedication and patience with yourself to implement. We 'vets' are still working through it ourselves.

If you don't mind the poor audio quality and traffic distractions from back in 2006, these sum it up well:

450 - Libertopia // "Talk to the young"; "Be the president of your own Libertopia"; "Skepticism towards the innate value of the family"

183 - Freedom Part 4: Parents // "Freedom is recognizing where you have control and where you do not have control"; "your unconscious has integrity, your unconscious will absorb things and act morally because the unconscious is all about processing reality"; "if you can't apply [freedom] at the personal level you have no right to talk about it at the political level" "screw politics! it's about your life"

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.