How To Read People

shirgall

This is really "other" knowledge, but it might help to understand the messages you are broadcasting to everyone else...

http://www.bakadesuyo.com/2014/12/how-to-read-people/

How To Read People Like Sherlock Holmes: 4 Insights From Research

Wouldn't it be great to be able to just look at someone and tell what they’re really like?

As they say... read the whole thing.

I liked the article. Never really thought about picture and furniture placement.

I would say I am very good at reading people, though I can be become disconnected in conversation due to anxiety. Most people are not so good at reading me, but my coworkers and close friends are better at it.

What I find useful is to notice body language when people are being obvious, as then you'll notice it in other circumstances, and you'll have practiced. To put it this way, if you don't put in the practice now, can you really expect yourself to even be able to focus on body language in the moment when it is important?

Mental models are also useful. Try to predict what people will say or do, and be aware of it.

I did spend some time being mindful of my own body language when I was learning to become a public speaker and it made me more likely to notice body language in other people as well. Recognizing people in a meeting that are closed or distracted versus engaged and wanting to contribute helped me direct meetings better... and then I started working from home about 12 years ago.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.