"The First Time My Parents Spanked Me" Comic

alwazqestion

Very saddened by reading this story. No child should ever have to mask true emotions of pain behind maniacal laughter. Obviously I think those are terrible parents, but I'll focus on the child. I think what has happened to him will stick with him psychologically for a very long time. Now whenever he feels great sadness he may still laugh uncontrollably. The opposite may occur if this abuse goes on in different forms throughout his childhood. For example in moments of happiness he may become sad because when he might equate laughter with pain. Maybe I've read to much into his childhood, but this is just my opinion if situations like this occur throughout his childhood.

I'm starting to wonder whether or not if anyone has had a peaceful childhood in the last 50 years. (Not just an ACE score of zero, but a positive childhood with negotiation and emotional support without daycare, organized religion, mysticism or school.)

Do families like this exist outside the Molyneux household?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to wonder whether or not if anyone has had a peaceful childhood in the last 50 years. (Not just an ACE score of zero, but a positive childhood with negotiation and emotional support without daycare, organized religion, mysticism or school.)

No...only on TV like Full House. He's said it himself, parents had YEARS of training in peaceful parenting through TV. I have this theory that the only reason why I know there's a better alternative to coercive parenting is because I used to watch Full House.

Very heartbreaking to think that their may only be one child who has had a peaceful childhood as you described.

No...only on TV like Full House. He's said it himself, parents had YEARS of training in peaceful parenting through TV. I have this theory that the only reason why I know there's a better alternative to coercive parenting is because I used to watch Full House.

If examples of peaceful parenting exist in television, someone is writing those stories. Did they experience this kind of parenting as a child or is it an elaborate form of retroactive wish-fulfillment? It's more likely that it's the former than the latter in my estimation.

Yesterday, I was talking to a friend about compulsive buying habits, wondering if they were out of a desire to seek approval or not (an idea harped on in the call-in last show). He said it was because he didn't have a lot of nice things growing up. This phrase struck me as canned because I've heard it before from my father. As a child, I was showered with toys, television and gadgets because my parents didn't have time to love me. I distantly recall conversations which ended in my father telling me how ungrateful I was for receiving all I was given.

If you grew up without television, toys, or temptations but you had a loving parent around constantly, as in Isabella's case, would you be a richer person for it? Stefan mentioned in The Mommy Wars that he wouldn't give up the job of full-time parenting if he was offered 10 million dollars to work in software development again. I get the feeling that just about any parent would abandon their children to daycare for a great opportunity.

I am also heartbroken over this topic.

If examples of peaceful parenting exist in television, someone is writing those stories. Did they experience this kind of parenting as a child or is it an elaborate form of retroactive wish-fulfillment? It's more likely that it's the former than the latter in my estimation.

I would believe it's wish fulfillment...hmm if you have the time check out my Full House thread.

I notice in a lot of the young adult novels I read, the parents will often cause some significant or minor harm to their children, but at least own up to that near the end of the book. It would logically follow that their relationship can be repaired after this, but I dunno...seems like a one in a million shot that any parent who can even cause so much harm to their kids can even THINK about doing something to earn their forgiveness. There have been a few callers who had admitted to spanking and then stopping and asking for forgiveness...the world has yet to learn. If it's not outright new parents starting off peaceful right away, there needs to be an uprise of parents who have been abusive learning to own up to their mistakes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.