"About Time"

kerou

ABOUT TIME on face value is labelled as a romantic comedy about a young man who learns of his ability to travel back in time. He uses his ability to find love and live happily. However, the movie couldn’t be further from that bland description.

The romance angle is small in this movie and it is more about life and virtues. Our main character displays virtues like loyalty and honesty. Most importantly and impressive is the use of father figures in the film. Both the main character and his own father are excellent fathers. They are not mushy feminine caricatures nor are they the typical uninterested and detached father.

There is a lot to talk about in this movie. The time travelling aspect doesn’t make that much sense but if you use it as a metaphorical device, it shouldn’t bother anyone.

I recommend that you guys give this a watch. You can watch it here if you have an hour or two to invest: http://www.cuevana2.tv/7705/cuestion-de-tiempo/

Let me know what you guys think

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that's been bothering me is the daughter's poor choice of men and bad life decisions altogether. It bothers me because Bill Nighy's character is a great father to his son, but I think that he dropped the ball with his daughter. What do you guys think?

One thing that's been bothering me is the daughter's poor choice of men and bad life decisions altogether. It bothers me because Bill Nighy's character is a great father to his son, but I think that he dropped the ball with his daughter. What do you guys think?

Yeah, the entire subplot with the sister wasn't as enthralling as the rest, and it is very strange how the two came out so different.

Tim was a kind and honest man, Kit Kat was a wild spirit with very poor judgment. In some ways, it's rare to see this reversal of characteristics in these genders.

I also took this as the movie's way of saying that who you date and who you decide to marry is one of the most important decisions of your life. As we saw, a simple change of who Kitkat dated changed her life dramatically. It is an important message, especially for young girls now days. Just because he looks good doesn't mean it's going to end well.

But yeah, it did irk me how involved the Dad was with Tim, yet not so much with the daughter. But the message the movie got across with that narrative was a valid one, IMO.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.