Sitcom: Coming Out Of The Closet As A Black Atheist

adamNJ

That is so awkward.

I thought this was going to be a video that would help contribute to the social acceptance of atheists in the black community. I was so wrong. The writers make it seem that the christian family is right in shunning this person. How disgusting can it get. I know it is nothing unusual, but I just have to point out how intolerant the Christian family is.

• Upvote 1

I agree that the intolerance is there. But I also see that the producers portrayed the atheist as a professionally successful and loving man. In fact, the young christian man was portrayed as a hypocrite as he was talking about drinking and driving, and two other legal infractions and praying that he was not stopped by the cops. That's not very "christian" and came across as hypocritical for those with eyes to see. Clearly less desirable as a partner for anyone really looking for a successful life partnership. 

Just because the woman didn't believe that he could really love her without loving god does not change the fact that the acting showed him to be loving. I don't know how to describe this better, but I can tell when a man is just saying shit and when he is sincere. Hypocrites are not that hard to spot. It has nothing to do with whether someone loves god or not. When you combine professionally successful with the courage (in the face of having already had this conversation with his own family) to be brutally honesty in that situation, the apology, the expression of emotion and love, it all adds up to I would choose him over the other loser in a heartbeat. 

The script also showed that the religious father was willing to discuss the issue of his daughter's happiness regardless of who she chose as a partner. He was relieved that he did not have to deal with it, but the relief clearly showed he was willing to entertain the idea that his daughter might really be happy with this guy and he might have to adjust to that. (Has anyone seen Fiddler on the Roof? Similar theme.)

Overall, I think the message is positive and in the right direction. The symbolism of the christian women being very shallow was of more concern to me. People laugh because it is a comedy. But lots of children watching it will see that they might just want to be more like the (ex) boyfriend if they are male. The young woman clearly made a poor choice in my opinion and may end up like the other women if she feels that is what is expected. There was no positive role model for the woman. 

I got another idea for a sitcom. You're a black gay atheist and your father is Steve Harvey

I would watch every episode of that. Reason and evidence vs superstition and indoctrination then at the end of every episode Steve Harvey will say something that he thinks will justify his religion.

There has to be rational christians out there. I have just never seen it. but really, what I wouldn't give to meet just one christian who is capable of a rational conversation. Either in the media or on the street ever christian I have ever talked to becomes a hostile or a sophist or a science-denier or a flat out liar after just a tiny bit of inquiry.

They have to exist. Like stef said recently, they are mostly nice people, and that is all well and good. but they just can't have a rational conversation on the subject. I guess that inability is why they are a christian in the first place. My heart really goes out to them and I feel really bad for them. But I guess it is what they feel they need. It just stings because they convey that they have just not thought rationally about this, and if they could do that one thing, then, they could make an informed decision...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.