Meetup Group Edit!

MRW

In the fall of last year, I sought out and created a Freedomain Radio group for the Washington D.C. area. I began my work on the free meetup.com service that Freedomain Radio linked to on the community section of the FDR website. Although there was some work required at the beginning, our D.C. group has been a growing success and we are now meeting at least once a month. I was able to make a close friendship with another D.C. member and he is now my coorganizer. But the community didn't stop with Washington. I was also developing friendships within the worldwide organizer community and even made a trip to New York City to meet with fellow philosophers there.

Unfortunately, the free meetup.com everywhere service no longer exists and the conduit to stronger relationships for future philosophers is weakened. The free meetup service has reverted into a paid subscription and many cities have discontinued their FDR meetup.com profiles and have instead transitioned entirely to facebook, including Washington D.C. While the transition to facebook is perfectly understandable and appropriate, there is little to indicate that this transitioned occured here on freedomainradio.com. Would it be possible to add a link on the community tab of the website to this facebook group? It provides an up-to-date listing of all known FDR meet up groups.

Thank you so much in advance.  :thanks: 

TL;DR: Please add a new link so new people can find their meet-up groups.

• Upvote 7

I think that's a great idea. The forums software actually has a (currently disabled) calendar to post events to and it would be even cooler to have meetups listed there, as well as group skype calls, Philosophy Film Club events, etc all in one place so people can easily find events to get involved with and make the community even stronger.

It could also make the tacky hero unit at the top (containing upcoming events) unnecessary.

• Upvote 3

I think that's a great idea. The forums software actually has a (currently disabled) calendar to post events to and it would be even cooler to have meetups listed there, as well as group skype calls, Philosophy Film Club events, etc all in one place so people can easily find events to get involved with and make the community even stronger.

It could also make the tacky hero unit at the top (containing upcoming events) unnecessary.

Using the built-in calendar makes a lot of sense! I'm personally trying to get the word out about a weekly dream analysis call I organize and this would be perfect for that as well as the meetups and regular call-in shows.

You know better than anyone here how to make magic happen on the boards. Let us know how we can help push this through.

Awesome idea for a group call, btw.

You know better than anyone here how to make magic happen on the boards. Let us know how we can help push this through.

Haha. I hope it doesn't take what it took me to get the podcast player up! After asking if I could do it for free repeatedly for two years with working prototypes working and multiple revisions, Mike made it an early priority when he became operations manager, which was great. (Many of the features and design decisions actually came from him). And then JamesP helped me a lot get it up.

I would suggest talking to Mike about it. It might require some lower level configuration / file editing, in which case JamesP would probably be needed (he was the one who migrated the old boards to the new boards). Mike would know if that's necessary.

The most complicated part of it would probably be how it's managed, who's events get posted, who their submitted to, that sort of thing. Do you let anyone and everyone post? If it needs to be moderated, that's extra time the staff is spending on it, so you'd probably want to make some kind of value proposition, or find some way of figuring out what the demand for that is. You could poll the facebook group?

I think it's a cool idea and would be willing to lend some support, but I'm pretty busy at the moment and so I'm not going to be championing is. I hope you or someone else will, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.