YouTube Prepper/Homesteader, "Wranglerstar" Parenting Style

Jonathan111

Below are a couple of videos from the Youtube prepper/Homesteader. 

He is quite religious. I want to present these for comments because I think when we observe the wrong way,

it helps us parent the right way. I picked Wranglerstar since he has a mix of good values with some

not-so-peaceful moments and it may illustrate a mid or low ACE score that many of us struggle with. 

This looks like typical father always knows best fare. Wranglerstar reminds me of my father only more civil with his son. I wonder if this is his real self or his public facing father persona.

I recall when I was about eight, my father bought me a beginner's chemistry set. Some of the chemicals were caustic, but were clearly labeled. This was after being told many times the story of how my dad nearly set fire to his parents' house with a chemistry accident when he was a teenager. We took out the set once and did a couple of basic experiments and I never touched it again. It wasn't out of a lack of interest so much as it was fear of failure, and property destruction. If my father, who is well versed with chemistry, almost accidentally destroyed his parent's house, how much damage would I cause?

One of the YT commenters expressed my sentiments about the Wrangler videos exactly, then later retracted the feeling as "unfounded":

One thing to watch for, and I speak from both ends of doing this, is to not jump in and grab things when Jack struggles with his smaller hands and strength.  I know making a video adds to this complication, but as painful as it is you have to stand back and watch them struggle with things that they lack the dexterity to do at this stage.  I know as a father this is the biggest test of my patience, like my dad I just want to jump in and "help."  Anyway...Sorry to lecture to you, that is not my intent.  I just want to point out how important this is, it is one of the regrets I have about my dad.  I wish sometimes he would have just backed off and let me struggle with things.  He is vastly more skilled than I am where I got the book smarts over him.  I kind of see this in Jack too.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.