Hi, FDR  :)

I am in the planning stages of creating a curriculum for homeschooling, and it would be great if my product could fulfill the needs of people like the ones here.  I am looking for secular homeschoolers.  I would like to know about the textbooks and classroom resources you use.  Ubiquitous topics like algebra, chemistry, and music have been done very well.  I would like to fill niche areas, instead.  Does your homeschooled child have access to courses such as:

engineering, hydrology, thermodynamics, ecology, mycology, nutrition, food chemistry, quantum mechanics

and do any of these courses resonate with you?  Would you purchase course materials for these or other course topics?

I appreciate your feedback.  When my product goes to market, I will give generous discounts to anyone who provides honest feedback.

Best,

Tibor

• 2 weeks later...

I would think there would be some market for those.

As a secular homeschooler, we've abandoned any courses we've bought, going unschool by default.  The kids nor parents didn't care for them.  Not sure if this is useful information for you though.

We are not homeschoolers ourselves, but we do borrow from Ron Paul Curriculum to supplement what our son learns at school.

The topics you propose sound very serious and complicated. What level of students would you target? I will also question my own abilities as a parent to teach such complex subjects at home. To make your product marketable you will really need to overcome parents' limitations, both real and perceived. 

• 2 months later...

We (me and my family) are secular home educators and we don't use a curriculum.  I don't know what the norm is but for us, we take the unschooling and self directed study approach.  I have a 12 and 9 year old and I found that any curriculum I push, is generally rejected.  In a voluntary household, ideas have to be sold.  

So how do i propose these are valid or interesting courses?  How do i propose they add value to my children?

If we promote how to think rather than what do think, where do these fit in?  Is this for an older child looking to go deeper?

Are you sure this is homeschooling and not just open education for the generally interested?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.