Going back to College

Mark Serene

Good morning! I just wanted to say that I decided this morning (around 1 am) to go back to college and finish my degree. 

I had gone to a decent state university for a couple of years, my parents paying everything, and dropped out because I thought I wanted to be a "real" artist and that college was basically bullshit.

Almost two years has gone by. I was playing local bars in a band, getting high often, and living with my girlfriend. I was generally depressed and anxious. About a year ago, I got a job at butcher shop (to be more of a man), started to listening to FDR, and realized it wasn't school that I really wanted to drop-out of, it was my family of origin. 

Since discovering this truth, I have been worried about my future, setting goals without reaching them, and just all around foggy.

I have been thinking about finishing college, but I was worried about paying for it myself, since I had de-FOO'd, I'm pretty much on my own for the first time.

So, FINALLY, with a ton of help from the FDR1534 - The Case for College podcast I decided to go back and admit I was wrong about higher education. 

I'm looking forward to getting everything I can out of it!

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Or have any tips for college?

Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy your day!

This is what I would do. 

1.  Make sure that you are crystal clear about your future goals.  Do your future goals even require a degree?  If you want to go back for an art degree (or some other "soft" degree) to "become" and artist, then I wouldn't bother -- there's less antiquated Photoshop "tuts" and mixed media instruction on youtube than what you'll find in an overpriced, unmarketable MFA.  Even if you planned to get a degree to become an art instructor, those jobs are few and far between, private schools pay shit for salary (I'm a former private school classroom teacher), and the government training centers are an abomination.

2. If you decide that you do need a degree, then I would sit down with a financial counselor and figure out a way to get your degree completed without taking-on any debt.  Taking on a second job and paying as you go may be preferable than loading up on credits and completing your degree as soon as possible with more debt and shaky job prospects.  Sure, job prospects will still be shaky if it takes you an additional year to 18 months to complete your degree, but the difference is that you won't have any additional debt.

3. Try to pay down as much current credit card debt (if any) as you can before going back to school.  You're able to make more money now with fewer additional time commitments.  Is it possible for you to save 15% of your income as an "emergency fund" ($1000 at first, then pay off debt, then save 3-6 months living expenses)?  How much are you paying in rent?  Can you relocated into a situation where rent is 25% (or less) of your income?

4.  Keep the butcher job.  Marketable skills that are not easily replaced by a robot (yet) are just as valuable as gold or stockpiled goods in the "new economy".  I worked three jobs when I enrolled in a graduate program -- one was in a butcher shop.  I was hired right off the street without an interview because I demonstrated how to properly disassemble a whole chicken using skills from a previous butcher job I'd had in high school.

5.  I would add basic business and accounting classes to your degree so that you can always competently start your own business as a future employment option.

6. Keep alcohol consumption to a minimum.  Stop using cannabis and/or cigarettes altogether.  Buy a crock pot ($20), score expired meat from the shop, and stop eating in restaurants.  Use this savings to pad your emergency fund.

• Upvote 2

Wow thanks! I really appreciate all of these tips. I have already done 2 years of my degree in Communication. I know it doesn't seem completely necessary (I learn more about communication from talking to customers), but I have been having trouble finding another job. My goal is to do what Stefan does, and I see all of the practice from giving speeches, writing essays, and debating to be a step toward that goal. 

I just bought a crock-pot a couple of days ago. The only drug I take consistently now is caffeine. So I am all set there. 

As for budgeting and planning ahead, I am still learning. I also appreciate what you said about finding a place that is %25 of my income in rent, and saving %15 each week for emergencies because I have not had anything set or even a goal. I have impulsive tendencies to spend money. 

Anyways, you gave me a lot to think about, but I have a few months before I need to register to mull it over. Thanks again!

I would check out some videos by Aaron Clarey.  He made me realize that a degree really doesn't get you a job, depending on what you major in.  You might also want to look into trades, such as plumbing or being an electrician.  They could end up paying more than a degree in communications, and at a much lower cost.

• 2 weeks later...

I would check out some videos by Aaron Clarey.  He made me realize that a degree really doesn't get you a job, depending on what you major in.  You might also want to look into trades, such as plumbing or being an electrician.  They could end up paying more than a degree in communications, and at a much lower cost.

I love Aaron Clarey! I regret getting an AA in liberal arts and then went to uni to study communications. Thank God, I dropped out of that program. I'd like to return to study accounting, IT, or music education. I know that the first two make more sense.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.