NBC Taking a stand in favor of peaceful parenting?

BD91

So, I just saw a trailer for a new series on NBC entitled "The Slap". I'd going into a description of it, but I feel the trailer itself is much easier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ui1YlTPlW_8

Seems to be addressing that theme of violence against children that is almost entirely ignored otherwise by the media.

Although, I think the real heart-breaker here is the comments on the video. Every. Single. One.

"The uploader has not made this video available in your country." :(

Edit; found it here: :)

The cast is interesting. The guy that slaps has previously played the role of a couple of supervillains. And Spock.

While it's cool that this didn't get pulled down instantly, I'm wondering, does it go into the topic of spanking though?

"Based on Christos Tsiolkas's best-selling novel"

It seems the american miniseries is a remake of a 3 year old tv series that was shown in Australia... I guess they dare to show it then, as it has been tested.

Cool. Kind of. 

I don't expect this show to address peaceful parenting at all. I expect itt is more of a vehicle for people to vent the sentiment, "How dare this rich, bossy person tell me how to raise my kids!" or "Only I have a right to discipline my child!" Zach Quinto's character is obviously smug, saying he wants to destroy the family in court. I have a sinking feeling that this show will be used as a vehicle to paint the wealthy as legally vindictive bullies. At a deeper level, of course, he represents state power, but I don't think many people are going to pick up on that except for libertarians and anarchists. Parents don't want politicians legislating how they raise their children.

I don't expect this show to address peaceful parenting at all. I expect itt is more of a vehicle for people to vent the sentiment, "How dare this rich, bossy person tell me how to raise my kids!" or "Only I have a right to discipline my child!" Zach Quinto's character is obviously smug, saying he wants to destroy the family in court. I have a sinking feeling that this show will be used as a vehicle to paint the wealthy as legally vindictive bullies. At a deeper level, of course, he represents state power, but I don't think many people are going to pick up on that except for libertarians and anarchists. Parents don't want politicians legislating how they raise their children.

Via the Onion: http://www.theonion.com/articles/i-dont-vaccinate-my-child-because-its-my-right-to,37839/

As a mother, I put my parenting decisions above all else. Nobody knows my son better than me, and the choices I make about how to care for him are no one’s business but my own. So, when other people tell me how they think I should be raising my child, I simply can’t tolerate it. Regardless of what anyone else thinks, I fully stand behind my choices as a mom, including my choice not to vaccinate my son, because it is my fundamental right as a parent to decide which eradicated diseases come roaring back.

The decision to cause a full-blown, multi-state pandemic of a virus that was effectively eliminated from the national population generations ago is my choice alone, and regardless of your personal convictions, that right should never be taken away from a child’s parent. Never.

Say what you will about me, but I’ve read the information out there and weighed every option, so I am confident in my choice to revive a debilitating illness that was long ago declared dead and let it spread like wildfire from school to school, town to town, and state to state, until it reaches every corner of the country. Leaving such a momentous decision to someone you haven’t even met and who doesn’t care about your child personally—now that’s absurd! Maybe I choose to bring back the mumps. Or maybe it’s diphtheria. Or maybe it’s some other potentially fatal disease that can easily pass among those too young or too medically unfit to be vaccinated themselves. But whichever highly communicable and formerly wiped-out disease that I opt to resurrect with a vengeance, it is a highly personal decision that only I and my family have the liberty to make.

The bottom line is that I’m this child’s mother, and I know what’s best. End of story. Politicians, pharmaceutical companies—they don’t know the specific circumstances that made me decide to breathe new life into a viral infection that scientists and the nation at large celebrated stamping out roughly a century ago. It seems like all they care about is following unexamined old rules, injecting chemicals into our kids, preventing ghastly illnesses that used to ravage millions and have since been erased from storming back and wreaking mass havoc on a national scale, and making a buck. Should we really be listening to them and not our own hearts?

I am by no means telling mothers and fathers out there what to do; I’m simply standing up for every parent’s right to make his or her own decision. You may choose to follow the government-recommended immunization schedule for your child, and that’s your decision as a parent. And I might choose to unleash rubella on thousands upon thousands of helpless people, and that’s my decision as a parent.

It’s simple: You don’t tell me how to raise my kids to avoid reviving a horrific illness that hasn’t been seen on our shores since our grandparents were children, and I won’t tell you how to raise yours.

Look, I’ve done the research on these issues, I’ve read the statistics, and I’ve carefully considered the costs and benefits, and there’s simply no question in my mind that inciting a nationwide health emergency by unleashing a disease that can kill 20 percent or more of its victims is the right one for my child.

People need to respect that and move on.

I was speaking of corporal punishments, but vaccination is a choice for a parent. Personally, I don't think it's a very good choice. Breastfeeding is probably better for infants and has a similar purpose as vaccines as well as being a source of nutrients.

Hitting children is not a valid choice.

You're right.  I feel bad for not noticing. 

I feel i need to post this because vaccinations is a very chaotic topic, and everyone here deserve to know about the other side that is not part of governments around the world.

http://www.naturalnews.com/vaccines_get_the_full_story.html

Download free report.

Here's some of what you'll find in this eye-opening report from the International Medical Council on Vaccination (www.VaccinationCouncil.org)
  • A list of the many MDs, PhDs, NDs and other medical professionals who are signing onto this document.
  • Why vaccines have NEVER been proven safe or effective.
  • A list of some of the serious health side effects caused by vaccines.
  • Why autism is associated with vaccines.
  • The profit motivation behind the pharmaceutical industry's big vaccine push.
  • A list of which institutions and organizations profit from your sickness.
  • The shocking truth about what's IN vaccines (aborted fetal tissue, 59 different chemicals, DNA from diseased animals and more)
  • An overview of some of the most dangerous vaccine ingredients
  • The truth about conflicts of interest in the vaccine community and why doctors profit from vaccination policies
  • Why vaccinated children have far worse health outcomes than unvaccinated children
  • How to opt out of "mandatory" vaccines.
  • Important advice for parents about how to protect the health of your children while saying NO to vaccines
  • Online resources for learning more about the dangers of vaccines
  • A list of recommended reading materials for further education

• People should take vaccines on their merits, but to be effective a very large portion of the population needs to take them.
  • People should quit smoking on the merits, but to effectively reduce cigarette use it had to be shown to be detrimental to third parties (and it was an extremely tenuous connection).
  • People should avoid sugar addiction on the merits, but almost every food company "sweetens" their stuff because addiction sells (whether this is knowingly or not is another question).

I think the frustration of people not being swayed on the merits is what led to mandatory vaccines, smoking bans, and Bloomberg's soda ban. This is similar to parents "giving up" and using punishment and rewards to modify child behavior.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.