Life is Strange

Has anyone ever recommended a video game in this forum before? If not, let me be the first by sharing this indie beauty I discovered:

Rewinding time to redo mistakes and even redo social interactions has been a fantasy of mine. I whole heartedly accept that the only way in life is forward, for sure, but playing this game does entice that part of me that does wonder what it would be like to control time and see how different choices would play out.

And that's one of the few things I do love about this game; the amount of different choices you can make in how you interact with the other characters, for each choice has a consequence. Sometimes what's convenient in the moment might be a detrement in the future, and you're better off taking the high road now for a greater gain later. Other times, it's not so clear what the cost and benefit are. There's no right or wrong, only what is. The writers of this game understand and embrace that.

Speaking of which, the witty, realististic, and modern dialogue really grounds this game into something relatable. Each character sounds and acts unique in the way they speak, thus allowing Max to connect with each other in unique ways. Even in exploration mode when you're not really pushing the story forward, interacting with every possible character on each section helps bring the story to life when you're digging up some extra info around the main plot points. Deciding how you interact with each character and the affects of those choices drastically and subtly change the outcome of later interactions, and I'm guessing some of the things I've done in this episode have yet to manifest the consequences in the later episodes.

I won't get into the details of the plot here--I hope the trailer did it enough justice--but to end this geek out, I would also like to point out that Life is Strange has one of the best soundtracks and visual style (even if it looks like glorified PS2 graphics). I don't even listen to indie music, but their indie song choice in each bit of the game fits perfectly well with the hand painted environment and nostalgic atmosphere.

You can get this game on Steam, Xbox360/One or PS3/4 for $5-6. It's episode 1 of 5, and the developers have set a schedule to publish each episode 6 weeks apart from each other. If this sells well, they're considering making a second season, and I would love for that to happen because for a stand alone, I am already enveloped by the game's mechanics and narrative.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
I loved episode 1! I came across the game while browsing new games on my XBOX360 and was immediately charmed into playing.

I never actually played games of this type, only a few point and click adventures for PC like Myst and Broken Sword but this one's a genre of it's own.

Can't wait for episode 2, maybe I'll go for it this weekend. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I figured what the philosophical draw is to this game. It coincides with what Stefan talked about in There Are No Solutions. In this game, you get to make different moral choices and each of them have their own costs and benefits. Sometimes what you choose for momentary gain will cost you dearly in the long term, and sometimes vice versa. I've given the game about 3 different playthroughs and it's been interesting to see the cause and effect of your choices and look back on what really mattered.

Some of your choices can actually prevent a fellow classmate's suicide. The scene where you need to talk her out of it is a lot easier to accomplish the more things you've done to connect with her so far.

• 1 month later...

I've been watching theory videos and I found this one Youtuber's insights to be quite philosophically intriguing... spoilers of course, but even if you haven't played the game, I think you can get value from this:

It's basically about how abusive it would be to actually have a rewind power to fish out information in a conversation, and reuse it as if you just knew all the right things to say. I thought it was a nifty idea and didn't even think of the lack of moral responsibility Max avoided till I watched this video.

• Upvote 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.