Am I still welcome?

amreed8

Anyone is welcome as a general rule.  In reality though, theism and philosophy are not compatible, I would even go as far as saying they are antithetical. I am not trying to be rude, but I did feel the need to be honest about this because this is a philosophy forum at its root and it will become evident that "God" is not welcome in philosophical discussions.

• Upvote 2

Welcome to the forums :)

What prompted you to ask this question?

People here tend not to care what other people's sacred cows are. Everything is up for debate. If you bring up your belief in your god, people almost certainly will challenge it. And that's the way it should be. That's sort of the whole point of philosophy is to question everything.

I'm sure you're a very nice person, but people I and others don't subscribe to this social arrangement that a lot of people have called "tolerance" of other people's spiritual beliefs.

I'm not trying to scare you away, just trying to let you know what to expect.

Again, welcome to the boards :)

• Upvote 1

If you hadn't made this post, how would we have known you were a theist?

We wouldn't know unless you rubbed it in our faces.

So what is this post really about, do you want to talk about your theism, or did you just want to make a statement, or get a "it's OK"? This is the second time lately somebody felt the need to bring up their theism. Do you want to talk about your god(s)? If not, why bring it up then?

I don't buy into this "I just wanted to know I'm still welcome". It really depends on what you're going to be advocating for.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.