Reason and Evidence FTW!

AustinJames

A friend of mine recently shared this infographic on my FB page:

http://www.upworthy.com/the-science-of-spanking-what-happen…

He commented, "Do you remember when we discussed this? After reading this I went and read the abstract and conclusion from the study referenced. I've changed my position on the topic."

I was ecstatic to hear this from him.  Not just because I felt vindicated, of course.  My friend is an American History/Political Science double major, and is a big fan of Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, and our current President, to give you an idea of his party politics.  The discussion to which he refers was concerning the merits of spanking.

After having the "against me" discussion with this friend, I distanced myself from him for some time, in order to reflect upon his response.  I chose to reconnect with him after a while, and I'm glad I did.  I feel invigorated knowing that I may have been some small part of this change in him.  I can only imagine the high that the producers of Freedomain Radio feel, knowing they have influenced thousands of similar responses.

Just a bit of good news!  I was feeling distraught and pessimistic, and this really brightened my outlook.  This may serve a reminder that you never know who you may influence by your words and actions, no matter how far gone they may seem!  Reason and evidence FTW!!!

One other small consideration... I responded with, "I remember it well!  Thanks for sharing!"  I was simply lost for words, and didn't want to come off overbearing or vindictive.  I didn't communicate the depth of my emotional response, however.  Should I?  How would you respond to this?

• Upvote 4

Do what feels natural, and respond accordingly.

If a statist from my past reconnected with me and started showing enthusiasm for reason and evidence, I would feel a little dumbfounded at first, then vindicated. I don't expect it to happen at all with my family or friends. The typical involuntary responses that I receive from talking about voluntarism are laughter, blank stares, eye-rolling, exasperated sighs, and head shaking.

I know two men that are still willing to have civil discussions with me, but I've never dropped the against me argument on them. The last time I did, it was like a neutron bomb going off in the relationship. Both of them would most likely endorse the use of the gun. I have moral and personal obstacles with them (they are pro-corporal punishment), and I've known one of them since 2002.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.