The Philosophy of Sharing

MysterionMuffles

Why do we enjoy sharing our tastes and interests with other people? I've noticed I get a great deal of joy from sharing music, books, movies, and TV shows with people, and for some reason so much more enjoyable when experienced with other people. Then there's also this other side of sharing when someone has a certain interest that I wouldn't particularly care for on my own, but because someone is excited about it, I'm happy to hear about it anyway. For instance, I have a friend who is really big into indoor gardening, and that's something I wouldn't look into on my own, but when he talks about, his pleasure is my pleasure.

Your thoughts?

• Upvote 3

i feel the same way RJ, but I've recently discovered just how much I enjoy going to the movies alone.  It's become one of my favorite things to do.  So few people have ever gone to a movie theater by themselves because they feel uncomfortable or think it's too loner-like.  When you think about it though, why would you want to go to the movies with someone?  You're not supposed to be communicating, you're supposed to watch the movie.  I definitely agree with you though.  I love showing one of my favorite movies or bands to someone and having that person like it.  It just feels good.

Evolution.

Humans are a very social animal whose primary survival advantage is in meme replication. We like sharing because at some point in the past, sharing useful data with others added to that individual's survival. Though we are now sharing information which is not related to survival, the reward system evolution has programmed is still in effect.

Empathy has a lot to do with it as well. Our brains are configured to replicate the emotions of others, so when someone is really passionate about something we are not, our brains will likely replicate the emotions. Empathy is of course related to survival, and it is plausible that having an empathetic disposition to people who are sharing information would be advantageous.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.