BATF Bans Military Surplus 5.56

J. D. Stembal

Range practice is about to get more expensive, kids.

Jerry Miculek outlines why the ban makes little sense based on the stated reasoning behind it.

I have a friend in ammunition manufacturing and he said it will likely not go through, and it is probably just to get the product moving quicker.

Is the product moving? Yes.

The job is done then.

No need to actually go forward with it.

Midwayusa.com is selling 1000 count boxes of General Dynamics SS109 for about $.60 per round shipped, limit one box per customer.

This message accompanies the sale:

It’s an exciting, but long, story of how our guys located this ammo at a defense contractor just after ATF’s announcement on February 16, waited for it to be declared surplus to a DEA contract; then worked hard to get it expedited to our warehouse. It arrived two days before our self-imposed deadline and here it is. Hard to imagine that this may be the last supply of SS109 ammo ever offered to the public.

Aim Straight,

Larry Potterfield

This story sounds convenient if you consider that the ATF announcement may be a farce to sell more surplus ammunition.

• 2 weeks later...

I received my panic order today.

62 grain 5.56mm NATO rounds are still going at a premium. Even the biggest bulk orders of 1k-3k will cost 50 cents and up per round with shipping.

The rumor is going around (among my friends) that this ammo ban will eventually be overturned, but I have not seen any official confirmation.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.