little girls don't bond with cows

Tyler H

Stef mentioned in one of the recent call in shows that little girls don't bond with cows. While for the most part probably true, it made me think of this video I had seen a few months ago that's too adorable not to share. It made me think twice about my beef consumption. It hits its peak around the 3 minute mark.

• Upvote 6

This video is heartwarming, yet heartbreaking. The girl is most likely getting, from the cow, what she feels she's lacking in everyday life. The mother comes around in the end, but IMO, her initial reaction was very "MeMeMe...(my porch, my tree, my cow, 'my' daughter, holy cow, my oh my...)." Followed by mockery and condescension, and then when it's okay to her, it's a joke, it's cute...but it's mostly about the adoration for the cow. I might be drawing on personal experience here. Parenting has come a long way, but I think it still has a long way to go.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This video is heartbreaking. The girl is clearly getting, from the cow, what she feels she's lacking everywhere else in everyday life. The mother comes around in the end, but IMO, her initial reaction was very "MEMEME..."

Agreed. You can hear the cold heart of the mom through her voice.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This video is heartbreaking. The girl is clearly getting, from the cow, what she feels she's lacking everywhere else in everyday life. The mother comes around in the end, but IMO, her initial reaction was very "MEMEME..."

Agreed. You can hear the cold heart of the mom through her voice.

Are you guys being sarcastic or am I missing something? The mother sounded loving and caring to me which might be why the daughter can give such love to the cow as well.

• Upvote 2

Are you guys being sarcastic or am I missing something? The mother sounded loving and caring to me which might be why the daughter can give such love to the cow as well.

I felt like I couldn't hear her heart behind her words, I didn't hear a smile in her voice at all until perhaps towards the end

I'm very sensitive, but I don't think I'm overly sensitive. I respect her restraint from showing all of her frustration. Maybe she was having a bad day. Maybe what she recorded wasn't her initial reaction. I don't really care. It could have been better and it could have been worse.

Yes. Her daughter is very loving, but so was I as a child and my parents were definitely not the reason. Children are naturally kind because kindness is a very viable survival strategy (in a friendly environment).

Right. I saw it as the mother initially being upset about it, but eventually opening up the fact that isn't a big deal to cow the let in, and that her daughter is very sweet with it. The mother did sound devoid of emotion, but she gained more joy as her daughter dodged the questioning and showed concern for the cow instead.

Right. I saw it as the mother initially being upset about it, but eventually opening up the fact that isn't a big deal to cow the let in, and that her daughter is very sweet with it. The mother did sound devoid of emotion, but she gained more joy as her daughter dodged the questioning and showed concern for the cow instead.

I can't see "upset about it". She is filming it the way you would film any of your child's moments you wanted to save and cherish. I saw the mother perhaps trying to play a role that she "should" chastise the child for some transgression but she really wasn't able to pull it off because the child was simply being herself and beautiful. She obviously thought there was value in filming it. Why would she film it if she didn't recognize and want the memory of the poignancy of the moment? 

Some of these responses just don't make sense. 

• Upvote 2

I don't think I can clearly determine from this ten minute video whether the "daughter is getting from the cow what she feels she lacks in everyday life" or whether the mother has a "cold heart"; nor can I determine that the mother is "loving and caring."

But I did find aliasneo's observations of the mom as most similar to mine:

"her initial reaction was very "MeMeMe...(my porch, my tree, my cow, 'my' daughter, holy cow, my oh my...)." Followed by mockery and condescension, and then when it's okay to her, it's a joke, it's cute...

She also said the daughter was telling a fib, and I thought what was most strange was there was no follow up to her saying that - the daughter kinda ran away from it (which I think is interesting, but not conclusive of how these things may be dealt with by her mother).

So I would emphasize I don't think anything about the mother is conclusive from this video, but I definitely wouldn't call the mother loving and caring. But I also wouldn't say she had a cold heart from the tone of her voice. There is simply not enough context nor information for me to make these sweeping statements. I don't know how the girl is disciplined, I don't know if the parents are divorced, I don't know if her emotions are attended to - these things I think are much important factors towards judging the mother as caring or cold-hearted.

• Upvote 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.