How Did Our True Selves Survive?

MysterionMuffles

For those of us who have survived traumatic childhoods and environments, how do you think it is that we survived to maintain our curiosity and compassion? Was there any choice involved between replicating our environments and striving for something better in our lives? Did we require models for philosophical thinking or is it inherent in our personality despite our circumstances?

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't say that compassion and curiosity are the sole constituents of the true self.  I think that greed, (good greed), passion, and a nose for (and refusal to shrink away from) controversy and trouble are essential components, too. 

I've always been curious, even when I was going through my rough childhood.  But I've only recently re-acquired my compassion, greed, passion, and nose for trouble.  The two biggest obstacles to my re-acquisition were the negative (and false) self-beliefs that I inherited from my childhood and the hyper-focus on empathy and "serving others" that I (perhaps wrongly) see preached on every message board except the Game-learning sites like The Rational Male and Heartiste. 

My experience is that once a man builds himself up in terms of greed, passion, and desire to find "trouble", he has no time for people who lack these three elements.  These are the "higher standards" that Stefan has been talking about for years. 

For those of us who have survived traumatic childhoods and environments, how do you think it is that we survived to maintain our curiosity and compassion? Was there any choice involved between replicating our environments and striving for something better in our lives? Did we require models for philosophical thinking or is it inherent in our personality despite our circumstances?

I actually wrote an article about this you might find interesting! 

https://board.freedomainradio.com/topic/43506-why-are-we-different-protective-factors-family-roles-and-the-guilty-conscience/

https://board.freedomainradio.com/topic/43506-why-are-we-different-protective-factors-family-roles-and-the-guilty-conscience/

OMG I think some of the answers I've been looking for might be in this post. I think anyone who has a similar question as me as well as some things to say about the topic, I think we should move it all to Joel's thread.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.