Wiper app allows you to turn any YouTube video into a podcast ... almost

cherapple

This is going to sound like an advertisement, but I'm excited!

I've been wanting this for years: a way to listen to Freedomain Radio YouTube videos -- especially the ones that aren't made into podcasts -- on my phone while using other apps, or with my phone screen turned off. Now I've found a way -- with the Wiper app.

Wiper is a messaging app sort of like Snapchat. It allows you to erase text messages, as well as make and erase voice calls. The most exciting feature, to me, though, is that it also allows you to listen to and share YouTube videos (and erase the shares). It could be a good way to share favorite FDR videos with another person. 

This is my new music player. It comes with YouTube music playlists. Best of all, you can use other apps and turn your phone's screen off and keep listening, a function that YouTube itself doesn't allow. 

It doesn't save your place, or download onto the phone for offline listening, like a podcast app would. But I can now save FDR YouTube videos in a favorites list, and listen to them like podcasts while doing other things. Before, if a video wasn't made into a podcast, most of the time I would skip it rather than watch the video. Now I have more options for listening. It's a small thing, but others here may appreciate it, too. 

(Wiper also recently added a Bitcoin wallet with a function that allows you to erase transactions. Of course, you can't erase them from the Blockchain, but supposedly you can erase them from your phone. The app isn't open source, so use at your own risk. The Bitcoin wallet also has some bugs, in my experience.) 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

You can also use "Viral", which is a YouTube player that allows you to turn off the screen without pausing the audio. It also offers viewing of videos in a floating window so that you can use other apps while you're watching the video, or you can just full-screen the other apps with just the audio in the background. It is buggy sometimes.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Mata.YTplayer&hl=en

You can also use a plug- in from savefrom.net (link: http://en.savefrom.net/user.php) witch allows you to download the audio from youtube, or a whole playlists. You can also do this with the video, the plug- in then download the best quality of the video available. What I like about this function is the fact that i can download all the videos I want so that when the time comes that the government choose to make this kind of information illegal and press DELETE the ,new kind of book burning, I can still learn and share information. 

You can also use "Viral", which is a YouTube player that allows you to turn off the screen without pausing the audio. It also offers viewing of videos in a floating window so that you can use other apps while you're watching the video, or you can just full-screen the other apps with just the audio in the background. It is buggy sometimes.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Mata.YTplayer&hl=en

I tried Viral. It operates the same and YouTube and shuts off when I turn off the screen or leave the app.

You can also use a plug- in from savefrom.net (link: http://en.savefrom.net/user.php) witch allows you to download the audio from youtube, or a whole playlists. You can also do this with the video, the plug- in then download the best quality of the video available. What I like about this function is the fact that i can download all the videos I want so that when the time comes that the government choose to make this kind of information illegal and press DELETE the ,new kind of book burning, I can still learn and share information. 

Thanks, I will try it. I'm looking more for ways to listen automatically on my phone, without having to save or transfer files. 

Even better! I just started a 30-day free trial of Google Music All-Access (will be 10 $/mo) and it allows the native YouTube app to play just the audio portion of a video while you use other apps on your phone, or you can turn off the screen entirely. In addition, it removes all ads from YouTube - phone and desktop. I just listened to this video on my Galaxy S4 without the screen on:

I may be wrong, but I think all of the videos have their podcast counterpart. The podcasts are even made public earlier and are not cut into smaller pieces, like some of the videos.

It's the pieces of call-in shows that I want to be able to listen to. Those are made into separate videos, but not into separate podcasts. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.