Emotional Intelligence

BD91

Hey everybody,

I recently did a little bit of looking into a subject called Emotional Intelligence. Similar to an IQ, emotional intelligence measures your EQ and from what I've read can have a very powerful role in the amount of success one achieves in ones life-span.

I'm wondering if anybody here knows anything more about it. Is it a verified and legit concept? Is it all fluff and hype? Is emotional intelligence useful when talking about things like self-knowledge & mental well-being, or should it be cast aside along with alchemy and other discarded "sciences" of the past?

Well, I think it is a real thing. I did a few tests while visiting a psychologist ( the one in school ). It was roughly like ~150 or so questions if i good recall, some questions were weird, like do you overeat often, what kind of days you prefer, well you get what i mean, questions you would think are random. Then psychologist filled in my answers, under random name into the system, and I got the curve of everything, she told me : You procrastinate a lot, you can get emotional, if something happened for you, you would be able to move on eventually, the thing is, from that test she told a lot of truth about me, which was very surprising for me at the very least. She said at the very least if i good recall that my emotional intelligence is high, according to the curve.. I did the test like a year ago or so, so I don't recall everything, the point is : She told me that it's the real thing.

Well, if my psychologist didn't lied, it should be a real thing then ^^.

According to wiki : " Emotional intelligence (EI) is the ability to monitor one's own and other people's emotions, to discriminate between different emotions and label them appropriately, and to use emotional information to guide thinking and behavior. "

WIKI : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_intelligence 

• 2 weeks later...

Gardner and Sternberg are psychologists who discuss multiple intelligences, such as spatial, creative, emotional, analytical, etc. So, it's at least in mainstream academic psychology. I think that there is truth in the idea of EI in that people have a certain level of skill when it comes to emotions. Someone who is negotiating between major parties would have to have better skill with emotions than a programmer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.